Contributor
I've been going to the same hairdresser for almost 20 years and I really do like her as a person and I like the coloring she does on my hair BUT I am not crazy about her cuts. Sometimes the cut is good but usually only ok..I'm not going to call off with a bad hair day lol. Anyway, the shop is small ..3 girls and many of the customers know each other and have what seems like forever and when they come in, there are a lot of conversations going on between them and the hairdressers to the point that my hairdresser will stop doing my hair and go talk with others for a bit and the customers waiting are starting conversations too. This bugs me and I feel as though the concentration is not on cutting. I would like to try someone else to see how they would do but feel bad.

Anyone else go through this?
Honored Contributor

I like rotating stylists.  The longest I've stayed with the same one is about five years.  

Honored Contributor

@domel wrote:
I've been going to the same hairdresser for almost 20 years and I really do like her as a person and I like the coloring she does on my hair BUT I am not crazy about her cuts. Sometimes the cut is good but usually only ok..I'm not going to call off with a bad hair day lol. Anyway, the shop is small ..3 girls and many of the customers know each other and have what seems like forever and when they come in, there are a lot of conversations going on between them and the hairdressers to the point that my hairdresser will stop doing my hair and go talk with others for a bit and the customers waiting are starting conversations too. This bugs me and I feel as though the concentration is not on cutting. I would like to try someone else to see how they would do but feel bad.

Anyone else go through this?

@domel, do you mean try someone within the same salon? I think that is tricky as you will see your previous stylist, she'll know you've made the switch. I once had a stylist that was out sick, they didn't get in touch with me in time. The owner said as long as I was there he could do it. I liked him better but stuck with the original stylist years until he left, I went with the owner.Going to a new salon is hard, sometimes it's just trial and error. I moved on to someone new, I just needed a change. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Re: Changing Hairdressers

[ Edited ]

you should go somewhere else, as we have said before you are transacting business there not coffee with friends  

She is taking your business for granted that you will continue to see her---easy money 

Contributor
No a different salon. I would never feel right within the salon.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have gone thru similar things. I would look for another stylist. I don't think we should be paying for so much divided attention.

Respected Contributor

I had the exact problem a few years ago.  I just stopped going and found a new salon.  It was hard because my daughter and sister both go there and the stylist would always ask about me.  But, as time went by she stopped.

I have been to several salons since then and feel no guilt about leaving.   Just leave and don't feel bad about it.

Super Contributor

Not tricky at all switching stylist/colorist in the same salon. I've done am doing it now. Be honest & respectful with the person. It's you hair, your time & $. Just do it!

New Contributor

I too am going through the same situation.  I've been going to the same girl for 8 years and on more then one occasion she has forgotten about me because she is constantly talking to others and there I sit.  I've had to call it to her attention that I'm waiting for my comb through 15 minutes after the time it should have been done. I just started with a new shop and will give this girl  a few months to get used to my hair but will search again if not happy with her.  Good luck, I know it is hard starting over with a new shop.  

Honored Contributor

Interesting subject since I am in the process of doing this, the girl who has been doing my blow drys at a blow dry bar is moving to a full service salon that is walking distance form me on a part time basis. She does great work and my old stylist left the salon she was at, so I am seriously considering using this girl to do my cut and color also 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.