Honored Contributor

Re: Changing Hair Color: Question re Weird Issue

@CatsyCline wrote:

Please DO NOT USE color remover or Color Oops!! You won't get your virgin hair back!  it just get damaged by the color remover, Your hair will suffer for it and when you color the new tint will grab that section and the color result will be darker or muddy.

I would consult with a colorist.  You can book a consultation, they shouldnt charge for this.

Once you put any color or chemicals on your hair, it is no longer virgin hair.  No way, no how can anyone ever get their virgin hair back unless they grow it out.

you MUST use a color remover to get color and stains out of the hair before you can put another color over it, unless you go darker.

Purple stained hair can be covered with dark brown or black, but if going light brown or blonde, it must be removed. 

Once the hair cuticle has been lifted with color it will always be porus...no colorist can change that.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

Please DO NOT USE color remover or Color Oops!! You won't get your virgin hair back!  it just get damaged by the color remover, Your hair will suffer for it and when you color the new tint will grab that section and the color result will be darker or muddy.

I would consult with a colorist.  You can book a consultation, they shouldnt charge for this.

Once you put any color or chemicals on your hair, it is no longer virgin hair.  No way, no how can anyone ever get their virgin hair back unless they grow it out.

you MUST use a color remover to get color and stains out of the hair before you can put another color over it, unless you go darker.

Purple stained hair can be covered with dark brown or black, but if going light brown or blonde, it must be removed. 

Once the hair cuticle has been lifted with color it will always be porus...no colorist can change that.

Yes  i know, i have colored my own hair for many years including double process.

i was just saying that so  many recommended color remover or  Color Oops and think by using this they can get their virgin haircolor back.

Esteemed Contributor

I have colored mine for years and now use one for older ladies. It has various shades so it isn’t all one dull color.

You may want to try leaving the purple in and cover it so that it doesn’t grab more dye. Then dye the rest and let our purple fade away. (Just a suggestion)! 

Valued Contributor

@sfnative

hi I agree with the others about going to a professional . I am growing my hair out silver and there is a great Youtuber Maryam Remias  who has a channel geared for silver hair and woman over 49 .She recently did a video about transitioning and different hair processes and going to professionals  . She also has done pink and orchid strips or ends. She is very accesible and answers questions very quickly , maybe she can give you some information Good luck 

Honored Contributor

Some of you guys keep telling the OP to go to a professional and she has told you she can't afford it. She also said she doesn't want to go darker. So more helpful answers would fit into those requirements.

@sfnative Another idea I just had would be if you could somehow isolate the hair with the purple and cover it, keeping it out of the way, and then just color the rest of it. You said it's a stripe, so maybe it wouldn't be that hard to protect just that hair from your dye.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative

YouTube wonderful suggestion type in search bar exactly what you want. Helpful advice on many subjects not only hair. Several years ago Cindy Joseph videos on her experience helped me. Cindy passed away from cancer last year. 

No matter your decision with your hair encourage reading Cindy Joseph's story.

Cindy (49) began modeling after being discovered by casting agent leading to Dolce & Gabbana ad campaign. Her story lead the way for women especially older women to embrace their silver hair. Inspirational woman. RIP Cindy⚘

unnamed-1-1.jpg

Honored Contributor

While the OP may not be able to afford to go to a professional on an ongoing basis, for this particular service (color removal) and/or coloring over the purple, she should consider it on a one time basis to get it right.

OP can continue home color after.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity

Thank you so much for your post.  I'll be sure to head over to YouTube on Friday, as my Thursday is loaded.

I'm not embracing my white hair - ever.  Was involved in a long discussion here about 2 years ago or so about this, before I did the grow our the first time.  My challenge is that I have very plain no-nothing looks and I'm telling you when we moved to a new state and I had to get my photo taken for my new driver's license, OMG!  I really did look 85.  It was simply awful.  The skin on my face looks great, it's just the entire look of me.  It's awful, so this white hair ages me terribly.  Nope - not embracing.  (And, honestly it has nothing to do with my self esteem.  I have plenty of that.)

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Some of you guys keep telling the OP to go to a professional and she has told you she can't afford it. She also said she doesn't want to go darker. So more helpful answers would fit into those requirements.

@sfnative Another idea I just had would be if you could somehow isolate the hair with the purple and cover it, keeping it out of the way, and then just color the rest of it. You said it's a stripe, so maybe it wouldn't be that hard to protect just that hair from your dye.

@Porcelain

Hi Porcelain,

Thank you for reiterating what I had said on a few occasions re the $185 I'd have to pay at a salon here.  Really appreciate it.

Yes, I had thought to isolate the purple streak with foil(s) which I have.  Really gave it some thought.  However, the overall color I'm going for I don't believe is going to be a good match for purple.  So...I think I'm going to live with the new color for a while, then figure out what color strip would look good with it.  I was really impressed with the Sally Beauty purple I purchases, as in it didn't fade out in 4 months, so will go back to that product line.  I have a friend who had her stylist do "fire hair" on one side of her hair and it was so cool.  But then again she already has dark red hair, so it was kind of easy for it to look great.  I could never "fire hair" my hair at home.

Esteemed Contributor

@marmarbrooklyn

As I said up front, I cannot afford the $185.00 it would cost where I live.  Additionally, I've been through the white hair thing before, big time.  It really does age me terribly.  It doesn't on some women, but does on me - big time.  I gave it a huge and long try, but I really do hate it.