Esteemed Contributor

Changing Hair Color: Question re Weird Issue

Hi Everyone,

Haven't posted here is quite a while, but really need your advice.

My hair turned white at 33.  Colored it most of my life, then let white grow out several years ago.  8 months ago placed a purple stripe (Sally Beauty "Orchid" - highly recommend) on my hair and have really enjoyed it, plus many, many compliments, including men in elevators, etc.

Due to recent experiences in the city in which I live, I need to get out of this white hair (I don't look at all as old as I am, but am being treated as an old fogey lady, which I resent).  So...I want to go back to the dark strawberry blond I was about 12 years ago vice the blond, dark red or brown which were some of the previous colors I'd been playing with.

However, I'm worried about that purple stripe, which is about 1.5" wide.  It has faded some, but here's where I need your advice.  Can I lay down color on top of that and NOT have it turn some weird color?  And no, I can't afford to go to a salon and have a color stylist do this for me.  If the answer is that the purple will turn some awful color, then I'll just not do it, because I honestly don't want to go darker.

Can you help?  Thanks so much.

Valued Contributor

Re: Changing Hair Color: Question re Weird Issue

Can you use color remover on your purple streak before you dye your whole head?

Honored Contributor

You can try a hair color remover first to get rid of the purple and then do your all over color after that.

I looked up that color and it looks pretty dark but it also said it was semi-permanent so it should come right out. 

You really can't do a light all over color on two separate shades and have uniformity.  It you were going brown, I wouldn't worry as much.  But any shade of blonde, you'll probably have an issue.  

Good Luck!  

Respected Contributor

Is the orchid a permanent color ? You might need a color remover  like  previously mentioned. If it’s a temporary color, get as much as you can out with a strong shampoo like a clarifying one .

I know what you mean about men and compliments, when I wear  lilac hair, it’s crazy how men stop me and say I love your hair 😊

Honored Contributor

If I were to color my hair again (silver now) would have my stylist do the color. 

No way! Ever attempt myself. Now many women experience amazing results coloring their hair and that's wonderful. But! That wouldn't be my experience.

My stylist loves my silver hair and told me again this week mentioned might enjoy playing with Lavender or Pink streaks after seeing someone on YT do it.

More than sure someone on the forum will help you with suggestions. 

Trusted Contributor

What ever you do go to a professional. You may ruin your hair.

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Haven't posted here is quite a while, but really need your advice.

My hair turned white at 33.  Colored it most of my life, then let white grow out several years ago.  8 months ago placed a purple stripe (Sally Beauty "Orchid" - highly recommend) on my hair and have really enjoyed it, plus many, many compliments, including men in elevators, etc.

Due to recent experiences in the city in which I live, I need to get out of this white hair (I don't look at all as old as I am, but am being treated as an old fogey lady, which I resent).  So...I want to go back to the dark strawberry blond I was about 12 years ago vice the blond, dark red or brown which were some of the previous colors I'd been playing with.

However, I'm worried about that purple stripe, which is about 1.5" wide.  It has faded some, but here's where I need your advice.  Can I lay down color on top of that and NOT have it turn some weird color?  And no, I can't afford to go to a salon and have a color stylist do this for me.  If the answer is that the purple will turn some awful color, then I'll just not do it, because I honestly don't want to go darker.

Can you help?  Thanks so much.

Maybe you can look on YouTube to get a video on your hair situation. Do you have a beauty school in your area? I am sure they could help you at a reasonable price.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely go to a professional! 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

Can you use color remover on your purple streak before you dye your whole head?

@Carol Diane

Thanks for suggesting this.  My purple streak isn't really dark, as my hair lets go of color, so think I have enough skill to try the color remover you mention.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

You can try a hair color remover first to get rid of the purple and then do your all over color after that.

I looked up that color and it looks pretty dark but it also said it was semi-permanent so it should come right out. 

You really can't do a light all over color on two separate shades and have uniformity.  It you were going brown, I wouldn't worry as much.  But any shade of blonde, you'll probably have an issue.  

Good Luck!  

@Laura14

Thanks for mentioning the color remover.  I think I'll go that route.  Though the Orchid appeared dark on your computer screen, the streak in my hair is 10 months post application, so some fade has occurred.  It was never really dark in the first place.  It certainly made a statement, but was not dark.

I totally agree with your last paragraph: makes infinite sense, hence my desire to try the color remover, now that I know such a product exists.  Thanks!