Honored Contributor

Re: Changing Hair Color - Opinions?

I've always been fair haired so when I was going too grey to cover it with highlights I decided to go brown. I like it with my light eyes
Super Contributor

I have done it all. My hair was a beautiful shade of blonde and got muddy when in my twenties...sooooo... I have highlighted it professionally and have done it myself, have lightened, then darkened, then toned, etc. Done it ALL. And pretty well, I might add.

As I get older, everyone tells me---and I can see in photos---that lighter is better for me, whether highlights or one color. I have even bayalaged my hair myself.

Have fun---don't be afraid. Everything can be fixed. I am a pseudo-expert after all of these years. I only go to a salon once every year or two so they can get all of my roots at once, but whenever I do, someone will tell me my hair looked better when I did it myself!

Moneysaver!

Valued Contributor

On 7/8/2014 KateChopin said:

I have done it all. My hair was a beautiful shade of blonde and got muddy when in my twenties...sooooo... I have highlighted it professionally and have done it myself, have lightened, then darkened, then toned, etc. Done it ALL. And pretty well, I might add.

As I get older, everyone tells me---and I can see in photos---that lighter is better for me, whether highlights or one color. I have even bayalaged my hair myself.

Have fun---don't be afraid. Everything can be fixed. I am a pseudo-expert after all of these years. I only go to a salon once every year or two so they can get all of my roots at once, but whenever I do, someone will tell me my hair looked better when I did it myself!

Moneysaver!

What the heck is "bayalaged"? Another poster used that term. I've put my hair in the hands of the Pros for over 30 years (some great & some disasters). I have enough natural & chemical highlights in my hair EXCEPT for the hairline and roots at the top & front-sides. I like a color mix and am tired of the salon (discomfort & noise & cost) so I want to dip my toes into the DIY coloring/highlights in the most obvious areas around the face. My last salon partial highlighting set me back $140! She does excellent work and gets me in after-hours but it's too expensive for the few results I get. I THINK I might be able to do it myself. Last month I got sick of my long hair and dry-cut over 4" off myself ! Since I have thick wavy/curly hair it didnt have to be Perfect but I loved the outcome!! I'm ready to pick up the scissors again! And a GOOD DIY color kit for highlights. Any product recommendations???? Thanks!
Super Contributor

My hair got really blonde this summer. I went to a stylist to have it darkened, because I was afraid to go too many shades darker at home. I really like my new color.

Super Contributor

Q: What do you call it when a Blonde dies her hair brunette?
A: Artificial intelligence.

For my neighbor ...

Q: Why do Blondes drive BMWs?
A: Because they can spell it.

Super Contributor

On 7/8/2014 beautty said:
On 7/8/2014 KateChopin said:

Moneysaver!

What the heck is "bayalaged"? Another poster used that term. I've put my hair in the hands of the Pros for over 30 years (some great & some disasters). I have enough natural & chemical highlights in my hair EXCEPT for the hairline and roots at the top & front-sides. I like a color mix and am tired of the salon (discomfort & noise & cost) so I want to dip my toes into the DIY coloring/highlights in the most obvious areas around the face. My last salon partial highlighting set me back $140! She does excellent work and gets me in after-hours but it's too expensive for the few results I get. I THINK I might be able to do it myself. Last month I got sick of my long hair and dry-cut over 4" off myself ! Since I have thick wavy/curly hair it didnt have to be Perfect but I loved the outcome!! I'm ready to pick up the scissors again! And a GOOD DIY color kit for highlights. Any product recommendations???? Thanks!

Bayalage can take a couple of different forms, but basically it is highlighting your hair using a small paintbrush and the color of your choice.(Some stylists use paddles and a caramel color on dark hair, for example). I just use my usual light color and paint on where ever I want it.

There are many vids on YOUTUBE explaining the process.

Clairol Frost and Tip (been around forever) is also good---I just use a toothbrush or paint brush---never the cap---although I do know someone who uses the cap successfully, the look is too old fashioned for me.

Super Contributor

Light and lighter color hair can drain some people's complexions, make them look wan and pale, and cause them to look older than they actually are.

The old idiom 'get older go lighter' is not true for everyone anymore.

If you can hang in there and be patient, you can get some flattering and natural-looking caramel or light brown colored highlights, once you hair returns to its natural deep or dark brunette state. 8)