Valued Contributor

Changing Hair Color - Opinions?

Anyone with bleached blonde hair letting color go natural even if very dark? Last night I noticed a discussion about Shawn growing out her hair (blonde to dark brown) but I can't find it. It was an interesting discussion so where did it go? I've been doing fewer highlights & using Wen but I do miss the "brightening" effect of highlights around my face! I want to go back to lighter blonde!!! Anyone else in the same predicament? Does anyone DIY highlights?? Thanks!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Changing Hair Color - Opinions?

I'm in my 60's and still having my hair professionally colored. Theoretically, I'm supposed to look better with lighter, softer hair colors (blonde, light brown, etc.), but I've worked with colorists and tried lighter colors and they're simply not me. I was always a dark brunette in my youth, and when I looked in the mirror and saw a person with golden hair, I hardly recognized myself. (And you know what they say about blondes!) On the other hand, stark dark brown is too harsh against a "mature" skin tone.

My stylist and I have worked on this and have settled on using a medium/dark ash brown base with subtle blonde and caramel highlights. I can be a brunette (sort of) and still have the flattering softness and brightening effect I need, especially around my face. Works for me!

One of these days I'll summon the courage to go back to natural silver -- but not quite yet.

Super Contributor

My natural hair is light brown but I went blonde when I started to get gray in my late 40s. Rather than hide the gray and deal with gray roots, I decided to lighten and camouflage the gray. I started with frosting and eventually went all blonde.

When I retired, I thought I'd try going natural. It lasted from August 2011 to March 2012. Even though it was stark white around my face, I hated the darker hair on the rest of my head. And ... the color of my clothes was all wrong with the different color hair. It just looked awful. I wasn't even getting a good reaction from friends and my hair dresser flat out told me it was just not a good look for me. His opinion I trust.

I'm back being blonde with lighter highlights where the white hair doesn't hold the dye. LOVE the look.

Valued Contributor

I'm in late 60's very little gray except around my face. Natural color medium/dark Blonde & I've been experimenting with different color looks for many years. Now I'm into Low Maintenance AND keeping some blonde. My colorist highlights my roots only with 2 lighter shades but charges too much $$ ! 5 yrs ago all hair fried when other colorist forgot I was under dryer! Now it's a balance between color & condition but I HATE the mousey gray that grows in. I'm tempted to buy a DIY kit to add highlights myself. Anyone tried this with success? I could go a shade darker as I have golden Medium skintone but I fear the chemicals would further damage my entire head! Once I had a new colorist do all over base of dark blonde then added blonde highlights --- but it didn't last and it all costs $300+ ! Never again.
Super Contributor

Have you tried dark to light ombre with some lighter pieces near face?

Valued Contributor

My colorist said that wouldn't work for me because of my natural grow-out & existing highlights. I'd wanted that look too but she said it wouldn't last on my hair. I took her word for it since she's a reliable Pro. I'm in a ""gray area"" !!! Also afraid of more damage to already fragile hair. Glad I started Wen !
Valued Contributor

I've been reading another thread about DIY hair coloring --- good suggestions there too.
Super Contributor

On 7/8/2014 beautty said: My colorist said that wouldn't work for me because of my natural grow-out & existing highlights. I'd wanted that look too but she said it wouldn't last on my hair. I took her word for it since she's a reliable Pro. I'm in a "gray area" !!! Also afraid of more damage to already fragile hair. Glad I started Wen !

Oh sorry. I thought you meant your natural color was dark. I was in your boat a few years ago when my blondie hair started coming in dark after CA treatment. I did the blonde highlights for a long time then went ombre, which was way easy to maintain....but now I'm a blondie again and loving it.

Super Contributor

On 7/8/2014 GoodStuff said:

(And you know what they say about blondes!)

No. What do they say?

Respected Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.devil2} Blondes do have more fun! (I'm not a blonde, so I must be a party p00per.