Respected Contributor

Re: Ceramides, What Are They?/Video

[ Edited ]

I've been using Isomers Ceramide serum for years.  I don't live in a cold weather climate.  I used to have a lot of redness which is now gone and I haven't had to use a moisturizer for many years.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee @Good tip! I can honestly say I never thought about using foil. thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Or just buy CeraVe products at the drugstore. CeraVe moisturizers are highly recommended by WebMD for their ceramides and other ingredients plus their packaging. No need for foil.
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@monicakm   I love Dr. Idress and follow her on YT. She's a no nonsense  derm and I like that she gives honest advice. She also offers ideas for high end and less expensive skincare  products.

Her best advice is to address one issue at a time and not pile on all the serums and treatments. My routine was already quite simple, but she explained the reasons why so many products are not necessary.

Esteemed Contributor

There are a bunch of natural oils that contain ceremides or the linoleic acid that promotes ceremide synthesis (Dr. Axe). Ceremides are a type of fatty acid.

Sweet almond oil, sunflower, coconut, jojoba, moringa....

Two of my favorite oils: madademia nut and meadowfoam.

You can also boost skin effects through diet. Food high in ceremides: wheat germ, spinach, eggs, dairy, et. al. 

Honored Contributor

When babies are born they are covered in ceramides from the amniotic fluid which contains huge amounts of ceramides called sphingolipids.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

There are a bunch of natural oils that contain ceremides or the linoleic acid that promotes ceremide synthesis (Dr. Axe). Ceremides are a type of fatty acid.

Sweet almond oil, sunflower, coconut, jojoba, moringa....

Two of my favorite oils: madademia nut and meadowfoam.

You can also boost skin effects through diet. Food high in ceremides: wheat germ, spinach, eggs, dairy, et. al. 

That's interesting.  I may have been getting them all along via diet and the Skinn Divine Elixir Luminous Oil that I use.   🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Jojoba oil contains 90 to 95% ceramides. The butter has a bit more. The jojoba butter is what I used when I burned my skin with a glycolic peel. Skin got stripped away of it's ceramide layer which makes up 30 to 40% of our skin's outermost layer.

Respected Contributor

@Harpa Meadowfoam? I have never heard of it. I learn new stuff everyday!

Honored Contributor

I googled this list:

Natural oils are a very rich source of both ceramides and fatty acids:
  • Jojoba oil: Contains up to 96% ceramides.
  • Safflower oil: 78% ceramides.
  • Grapeseed oil: 73% ceramides.
  • Poppy seed oil: 70% ceramides.
  • Sunflower oil: 68% ceramides.
  • Hemp oil: 60% ceramides.
  • Corn oil: 59% ceramides.
  • Wheat germ oil: 55% ceramides.