Honored Contributor

Re: CeraVe ingredient changes 🤔

I found an image of the old and new ingredient deck someone posted online.

This is not so good. They added sodium hydroxide to the formula. It's used in soapmaking and to affect the pH of products, generally to make them more alkaline I believe. It's also known as lye.

Not a good ingredient to use if you have sensitive skin. If you're getting irritation with the new formulation, sodium hydroxide is the most likely culprit.

Back view ingredient list

Any other changes are basically taking an ingredient that used to be two listed together, and breaking it up. Such as "Ceteareth-20 and Cetearyl Alcohol," split up and listed separately as just "Ceteareth-20" and "Cetearyl Alcohol." And they moved the parabens to the end of the list, which doesn't indicate a formulation change because they were less than 1% anyway and can be reshuffled however they want. It was oil free before, so nothing has changed there.

But putting lye in a product for users with sensitive skin-- that really ticks me off. I've been recommending CeraVe PM heavily -- based on the bottle I own, which is the older one on the left -- and now I can't do that anymore.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@porcelain wrote:

This is not so good. They added sodium hydroxide to the formula. It's used in soapmaking and to affect the pH of products, generally to make them more alkaline I believe. It's also known as lye.

Not a good ingredient to use if you have sensitive skin. If you're getting irritation with the new formulation, sodium hydroxide is the most likely culprit.

Any other changes are basically taking an ingredient that used to be two listed together, and breaking it up. Such as "Ceteareth-20 and Cetearyl Alcohol," split up and listed separately as just "Ceteareth-20" and "Cetearyl Alcohol." And they moved the parabens to the end of the list, which doesn't indicate a formulation change because they were less than 1% anyway and can be reshuffled however they want. It was oil free before, so nothing has changed there.

But putting lye in a product for users with sensitive skin-- that really ticks me off. I've been recommending CeraVe PM heavily -- based on the bottle I own, which is the older one on the left -- and now I can't do that anymore.

Thank you for this, @Porcelain

I have a bottle I'm using now and one in reserve, which is in the newer packaging.  I'll be comparing the ingredient lists on both to see if they're different.

Honored Contributor

My sister uses this & won't be happy. Her skin is a lot more sensitive than mine.

If they changed this product I'm sure the rest of the line will follow???

I don't know why companies change things that are not broken. Guess they have never heard if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I never have understood why stores stop stocking products that sell & leave the stuff on the shelf that is not selling???

Contributor

Cera Ve hydrating cleanser old bottle  ingrdients : purified water, Glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, ceramide-3, ceramide-6,-11, ceramide-1,hyaluronic Acid, cholesterol,

polyoxyl40 stearate... and several more different alcohols.. lesser ingredients.

Honored Contributor

I HATE IT when these big companies buy out these small successful lines.  They always know better, how to eke out more profit.  The ingredients and formulas that made these lines successful be damned. 

Super Contributor

Well I've learned my lesson on buying 4 or 5 bottles at a time when it's on sale. Thankfully Target took them back without a problem.

I'm thinking of trying Josie's Argan Oil from head to toe. I do like the fact that it's just 1 ingredient. I'm more afraid of the cost though. I already own a couple bottles, I'm going to give it a shot.

Valued Contributor

Welp, another one  probably going down the drain. Dr. Dray mentioned on her latest video she will be watching them since they sold to Loreal. Hopefully she busts their chops and lets us know how bad they have strayed if they change the formula.

Respected Contributor

@shiloh 81 wrote:

Has anyone else's skin gone crazy with with brakeouts or burning? I've been using CeraVe for years and I have very sensitive skin. As I look at the new bottles I've started I noticed that the ingredients aren't the same. I use the hydrating cleanser, moisturizing lotion and PM face lotion.

Just curious if anyone else has had any issues with there skin with the newer formulations.

I would suggest Paula's Beautypedia online.  She reviews cosmetics and maybe it will help you find a good product for sensitive skin that works for you. 

Good luck.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks all for the explanations.   Both my foaming cleanser and PM moisturizer are new formulas.   I haven't noticed a change in the cleanser, but have noticed my latest bottle of moisturizer is drying.  I blamed our sub-zero temps and dry air the last couple weeks instead of the CereVe.  I bought a different moisturizer just yesterday - my complexion is begging for more moisture this time of year.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@porcelain wrote:

This explains why I've been having dry, peeling, irritated skin around my nose and mouth. The old formulation didn't have LYE in it and the new one does.  I was attributing it to the cold weather and drier air inside, coupled with my use of Retin-A at night, although I hadn't experienced peeling like this before (I'm still on the lowest strength). Major bummer. Smiley Sad  I was loving it and they had to go and change it. I guess I'll use it (and the backup bottle I have) on my hands/feet. Smiley Sad