Honored Contributor

Re: Celebrity, Designer Fragrances or both?

I really don't have one particular favorite.  I go though phases/moods.   I like oriental florals, spicy florals, exotic fragrances.  I have a shelf full of them in the linen closet.  Recently, to pare down the supply, I started mixing them with distilled water and put them in my reed difusers.

I got a gift of White Diamonds when it first came out.   I only wore it a couple of times.  I think the bottle may still be in the cabinet.  I'll have to check.  I wasn't crazy about it.  

I always wondered why people would pick out particular fragrances to give me as gifts.  Over the years, I got Shalimar a number of times, Chanel #5 one time, Galore one time, and one that I really liked was Shiseido's Murasaki.   I use that on "special" occasions.

I bought an oriental jasmine when I was in Rome a few years ago that I absolutely loved.  One of the best jasmines I ever used - but can't get it in the U.S.   I also bought one from Tova - Nirvana that I like.  Too bad it's discontinued.  

These days - I just grab something from the shelf that looks appealing when I'm getting ready.  But, I do seem to favor Avon's Haiku these days - it reminds me of the oriental jasmine.

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Unless you are buying maybe a small, niche perfume or one that the owner designs himself, all perfumes, whether they be celebrity, designer, or dedicate perfume houses, are produced by perfumers.

In other words, Chanel has perfumers. And celebrities have perfumers. They don't make it themselves.

Now that's not to say there may not be quality differences, but heck, some of the outstanding perfumers in the industry are behind some celebrity scents.

Yes, totally agree!  Same goes for fashions.  All created by real designers in the end.

Honored Contributor

I forgot to mention how wonderful Pitbull Woman is. Yes the rapper! I smelled it on a client and fell in love. Imagine my surprise when she told me who it was
Honored Contributor

I prefer the clean smell of soap and water or maybe light scented lotion on men and women.

Most scents are not appealing and are overbearing.  I took a family member to the doctor's office two week ago and the whole waiting room was a mixed pot of different scents.  

There was a sign at the receptionists window asking patients not to wear fragrances, but I guess by the time they were there, the fragrance was already applied at home.

if you like to wear fragrance, think about where you are going before you apply it.  If you're going to be around many people go lightly,  too many scents at the same time stink as does applying too much.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is important to remember that your own individual body chemistry and how it interacts with a particular scent is what makes a scent attractive or not to those who are around you who get to enjoy the perfume, not so much you.  I wore Alfred Sung to a Christmas Eve service at my church and the lady walking behind me commented that what I was wearing was attractive.  I didn't even notice, but she did and she had never heard of that scent which had been around since the mid- 1980's!

Esteemed Contributor

I steer away from celeb fragrances. Why do I want to line their pockets for? The fragrances that I currently wear are Aquolina Pink Sugar, Lise Watier Vent du Sud, and Nest Paradise. I prefer summery and light scents year round.

Esteemed Contributor

Neither, really.  If I like a fragrance, I don't care who makes it.  I say that...  and I wore Oscar de la Renta for 30 years -- not because of Oscar, but I thought it was the most Heavenly fragrance I ever smelled ever.   Then I got tired of it.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@TY wrote:

I steer away from celeb fragrances. Why do I want to line their pockets for? The fragrances that I currently wear are Aquolina Pink Sugar, Lise Watier Vent du Sud, and Nest Paradise. I prefer summery and light scents year round.

@TY, what's the difference in linning the pockets of a celebrity as opposed to a designer (who also are celebrities)?  I don't get it.  If you buy Shalimar (Guerlain gets your money).  If you buy Dolce & Gabanna (they get your money).  They too are celebrities because of their fashion designs.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Neither, really.  If I like a fragrance, I don't care who makes it.  I say that...  and I wore Oscar de la Renta for 30 years -- not because of Oscar, but I thought it was the most Heavenly fragrance I ever smelled ever.   Then I got tired of it.

Same here for me.  I haven't had the opportunity to smell most of the celebrity designers.

Celine Dion

Halle Berry

Usher

Rihanna

Beyonce

Jessica Simpson

Arianna Grande

Brittney Spears

Empire by Trump

Ivanka Trump

Jay Z

Michael Jordan

Kim Kardashian

Sofia Vegarra

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

There is one fragrance out now called Stash.  I would not purchase it because of the name.  The name is a complete turn off.  The celebrity is the actress that played the lead role in Sex in the City.  She was Carrie.  Her name is just not coming to me but it surprised me that she would call her fragrance Stash.  Cat Very Happy  To be honest, I never purchased a fragrance by a celebrity.

kindness is strength