Esteemed Contributor

Celebrity, Designer Fragrances or both?

I have to admit that I am a fragrance addict.  I have worn so many beautiful scents over the years and of course, as with anything else, they come and go.

Which celebrity do you think was the first to enterprise into the celebrity fragrance arena?  I remember Liz Taylor's White Diamonds but honestly can't think of another celebrity fragrance before her.  There are so many right now.  Everybody has a fragrance.  Which ones do you like (if any)?

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

Re: Celebrity, Designer Fragrances or both?

@itiswhatitis wrote:

I have to admit that I am a fragrance addict.  I have worn so many beautiful scents over the years and of course, as with anything else, they come and go.

Which celebrity do you think was the first to enterprise into the celebrity fragrance arena?  I remember Liz Taylor's White Diamonds but honestly can't think of another celebrity fragrance before her.  There are so many right now.  Everybody has a fragrance.  Which ones do you like (if any)?

I think you're right, although I remember TOVA selling hers by mail order back in the early 80's, and one of my relatives used to buy it that way, before TOVA came to the Q.

I buy many different types of fragrances by designers, celebrities, and drugstore brands, too.

It doesn't matter to me, as long as I like the fragrance. Lately I have been wearing body sprays or mists. I like some of the Body Fantasies body sprays. One of them that I like is a White Musk. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

I think you're right, although I remember TOVA selling hers by mail order back in the early 80's, and one of my relatives used to buy it that way, before TOVA came to the Q.

I buy many different types of fragrances by designers, celebrities, and drugstore brands, too.

It doesn't matter to me, as long as I like the fragrance. Lately I have been wearing body sprays or mists. I like some of the Body Fantasies body sprays. One of them that I like is a White Musk. 

That's right!  I never considered Tova.  Was she a celebrity like her husband?  Likely just a celebrity because of him.  Didn't know how long she'd been in the biz.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis I really can't stand the Elizabeth Taylor scent.  Jennifer Lopez had a perfume a few years back that was nice,light and flowery.  One that stands out from years back was Forever Crystal by Linda Evans.  OMG, I will never forget the headache that gave me. Offal.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

Hi @itiswhatitis,

She was a make-up artist, and I believe that is how she met him, many years ago. Smiley Happy

She was quite a bit younger than him. I also think that she was a model too, when she was younger. I think that she is still a very beautiful lady. 

I used to buy her cosmetics when she still sold them on the Q. Loved her products, especially her lipsticks. 

I liked her Body, Mind and Spirit perfume. I think that it had some fruity elements in it--either peaches or apricots or both. A really beautiful fragrance. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@itiswhatitis I really can't stand the Elizabeth Taylor scent.  Jennifer Lopez had a perfume a few years back that was nice,light and flowery.  One that stands out from years back was Forever Crystal by Linda Evans.  OMG, I will never forget the headache that gave me. Offal.

Jennifer Lopez has or had more than one scent.  I haven't seen them around anymore but I'm sure they are still sold @MoJoV.

Have you ever had a whiff of Paris Hilton's scent?  She had one too.  I'm glad she left the limelight.  

*Call Tyrone*
Valued Contributor

Are most of the scents named after celebrities short-lived? (I say 'named after' because I doubt the person is in the lab creating their perfume.) In stores or magazine ads I've seen fragrances by Katy Perry, Beyonce, Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, and One Direction. This is in addition to those already named; I'm sure there are many more that I haven't seen or can't recall right now. (Posters???)  I wouldn't wear any of these for two reasons. One, I'd hate to become a fan, only to have it disappear too soon. Two, I'd be a little embarrassed telling someone what I was wearing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sallybusky
I'll admit to the same trepidation and that goes for clothing too! But I will also admit that I've bought a few pieces on clearance but don't tell anyone LOL ..but that has more to do with my clothing shopping addiction then the need to support celutards in all their endeavors.
As for fragrance the Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely truly is lovely as I smelled it on somebody else but I've never purchased it

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Due to asthma I can't wear many fragrances. I can wear most Philosophy scents without too much trouble. I wanted to try something different so I actually went in a fragrance store. The sales lady was nice when I explained I preferred a subtle fragrance, but wow - what she considered subtle I thought wasn't. I tried lots of fragrances - some celebrity inspired and named. I remember trying a Katy Perry and a Pink fragrance. Just about everything was too strong for me. 

Honored Contributor

Unless you are buying maybe a small, niche perfume or one that the owner designs himself, all perfumes, whether they be celebrity, designer, or dedicate perfume houses, are produced by perfumers.

In other words, Chanel has perfumers. And celebrities have perfumers. They don't make it themselves.

Now that's not to say there may not be quality differences, but heck, some of the outstanding perfumers in the industry are behind some celebrity scents.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland