Frequent Contributor

Re: CarolynG, You Look Marvelous, Dahling!

I agree that Carolyn looked fabulous.
Valued Contributor

On 8/16/2014 RUKIDDINGME said:

I don't think it's an improvement, sorry don't slam me..lol. She's a big girl and the shorter style emphasizes her large head and body. She looks heavier with the shorter hair.

I agree. It ages her. Looks like a grandma cut and it does make her look even heavier.

Respected Contributor

On 8/17/2014 expatgal said:

Once again I am not saying cutting your long hair after a certain age is by any means a RULE. It has nothing to do with rules/expectations/etc. It has to do with one of the number one suggestions of changing your beauty routine after a certain age for YOUR BENEFIT. Longer hair drags down facial features and draws others' eye down when they see you. That is a proven fact and I'm betting 99.9% of the best beauty professionals who make their living by making women look beautiful would wholeheartedly agree. If you think you look great with long hair down your back after 40, then go for it. You're only kidding yourself.

I can appreciate what you are trying to say. I really can. And I think that Carolyn's haircut looks beautiful. But bottom line doesn't everyone need to have a style that fits their hair type and their personal style? That is my only issue with your statement -- it sounds so universal. I am a women of mixed race (black & white). Carolyn's bob wouldn't work for me in a million years. Better said: it would work for me only if I never went outside, exposed it to humidity, or got rained on. My hair is like Jennifer Beals' in 'Flash Dance' if you are old enough to remember that movie. It needs a bit of length in order to help contain it! My best friend is Japanese-American and her hair is stunning: thick, shiny, not a hint of curl -- she can rock haircuts of a very precise nature. Long, short -- it all looks gorgeous.

I guess I'm just trying to say that we should all probably change it up from time-to-time -- but we should try to cut our hair in ways that flatter its underlying nature (in my opinion).

Frequent Contributor

On 8/17/2014 physicsnut said:
On 8/16/2014 RUKIDDINGME said:

I don't think it's an improvement, sorry don't slam me..lol. She's a big girl and the shorter style emphasizes her large head and body. She looks heavier with the shorter hair.

I agree. It ages her. Looks like a grandma cut and it does make her look even heavier.

I am sorry but I do have to agree. But people should do as they please without all the judgments and critiques. She seems like a great gal in general.

Frequent Contributor

Once again I am not saying cutting your long hair after a certain age is by any means a RULE. It has nothing to do with rules/expectations/etc. It has to do with one of the number one suggestions of changing your beauty routine after a certain age for YOUR BENEFIT. Longer hair drags down facial features and draws others' eye down when they see you. That is a proven fact and I'm betting 99.9% of the best beauty professionals who make their living by making women look beautiful would wholeheartedly agree. If you think you look great with long hair down your back after 40, then go for it. You're only kidding yourself.

I am 49 with mid back length dreadlocks. No, they do not age me at all. My face is not "dragged down," as you say. And no, I am not kidding myself. People with long faces tend to look better with hair that is not long around their faces, but even they can, with the correct style, still wear long hair if they want to do that, and still look great. Interestingly, I just saw a picture of 53-year-old Julianne Moore with her beautiful, red, flowing tresses. She looks as gorgeous as ever. I do agree that it is a BENEFIT to keep a look fresh and current, but that does not mean a person over 40 has to cut her hair to do that. Carolyn looks fine with her hair in either style. She does not look younger, just different. She could have achieved this same look by strategically pinning her hair up into an up-do. Now, her styling options are limited because she does not have the length to create different looks. It's a nice cut, though, and if she likes it, I love it.

Frequent Contributor