Occasional Contributor

Carol's Daughter Co-Wash vs. Wen

I've been using Wen for about 7 years, but I've started sampling other products recently. I'm gluten-free so Fig isn't an option for me. I tried the Carol's Daughter Hair Milk co-wash and for the first couple of days I liked it a lot. It felt insanely moisturizing. But now I actually feel like it's leaving too much oil or something in my hair. My hair looks and feels greasy.

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried the product and what their experience is. I'm thinking maybe it's good for winter when the air is so dry. Interestingly, the Hair Milk leave-ins are not nearly rich enough for my 3c hair. So maybe the oil from the co-wash works well with the lack of moisture in the leave-in?

Does anyone have any notes on how it compared to their Wen experience?

Respected Contributor

Re: Carol's Daughter Co-Wash vs. Wen

I like it, much better than wen I do not use it often mainly because of the floral scent I am not fond of. It makes my hair smoother and softer and it rinses out better then wen. It also distributes threw your hair easier. That is just my opinion. I have a 23oz bottle of hair milk in my shower still. hsn periodically sells big bottles. I am sure the wen people probably thinks different but you can always buy 2 oz wen packets on ebay if you want to try it out. I still prefer regular shampoo. if the hair milk was not so strong on the floral scent i would probably use it more often

Super Contributor

I used CD's Hair Milk Co-Wash before using Wen and liked it okay. I would rotate between Monoi and Hair Milk. Then I started using Wen, and have tried Hair Milk again, but I now feel like it's not moisturizing enough for me. I also tried the Hair Milk leave in, but used too much and it was way too greasy for me. I really prefer Wen, my hair is long, naturally blonde & wavy.

Regular Contributor

Does this Hair Milk stuff have menthol? I recently had a partial corneal transplant/cataract surgery (corneal damage from Fuch's Dystrophy) on my right eye. I will have the left eye corrected in June. I am finding the Wen CCs are irritating my eyes now .

Respected Contributor

On 3/30/2015 123lollo said:

Does this Hair Milk stuff have menthol? I recently had a partial corneal transplant/cataract surgery (corneal damage from Fuch's Dystrophy) on my right eye. I will have the left eye corrected in June. I am finding the Wen CCs are irritating my eyes now .

I haven't used it yet but aren't the Wen's kids formulas menthol free?

Honored Contributor

I have not tried that one. You might consider using their conditioner to wash your hair instead of the conditioning cleanser. I did that with several brands for a long time before I tried WEN. I was mostly using light brands, like Suave, so I needed a conditioner after I washed my hair with a conditioner, which got to be silly. That's why I switched to WEN.

You might also consider trying the Shea Moisture Co-Wash Conditioning Cleanser, Ouidad Curl Co-Wash, DevaCurl No-Poo, or DevaCurl One Condition. (One Condition is a conditioner, but I know a lot of people co-wash with it.)

Occasional Contributor

Thanks everyone. I really do like Wen, but I recently cut my hair and started wearing it "out" everyday (instead of putting it in a bun). So I'm really trying to get a sense of which product will work best for a true wash-n-go. The Wen with the styling cream as a leave-in does a pretty good job. But I'm gonna keep experimenting =).

Respected Contributor

On 3/31/2015 Lynn7482 said:

Thanks everyone. I really do like Wen, but I recently cut my hair and started wearing it "out" everyday (instead of putting it in a bun). So I'm really trying to get a sense of which product will work best for a true wash-n-go. The Wen with the styling cream as a leave-in does a pretty good job. But I'm gonna keep experimenting =).

I think experimenting is really smart. I used a zillion different lines before first trying WEN many years ago. I fell in love with WEN right away and used it for long time before taking a break from it. My hair care routine immediately felt more complicated as I needed to invest in several styling products to get good results. Carol's Daughter Monoi was one line I tried -- hoping it would give my dry curls what they needed. Long Monoi story short it didn't agree with my scalp and I had to give it away.

I returned to WEN as a smarter consumer. I always keep the core formulas on hand that work best for me and flirt liberally with seasonals. I can't say I'll never experiment with another line again but my hair care routine is now super easy. And I have good hair days almost everyday.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm always trying other brands to alternate in my hair care routine. Carols Daughter was great at first- but as with most CD products, it wasn't effective after a while. The Deva Curl products are great! I also like Ouidad's co wash product. Hair One was good at first (olive oil specifically), then after a while just okay. I still have a few more drug store brands to try yet!

Valued Contributor

I'm a long-time WEN user, but I decided to try Carol's Daughter Manoi shampoo, conditioner and body wash offered recently as a today's special on HSN. I love Manoi! I love the fragrance, and the way it makes hair feel and smell. I have short color-treated hair that is very fine and thinning. Manoi gives my hair body, greatly reduces frizz and my hair holds a style much longer.

Most importantly, I'm tired of spending so much on WEN. Chaz says it replaces several products, but you have to use an enormous amount of product (as directed) to get your hair clean. Plus, my hair is falling out like crazy and I'm reading that many people suspect WEN could be the cause. I'm not sure of that, but if hair loss slows with Manoi I'll report.

Overall, I highly recommend Carol's Daughter Manoi products!