Respected Contributor

Many years ago, maybe back in the 60's or 70's, I remember buying a carnation scented fragrance in a gift boxed set of a bottle of EDP & I think a bar of soap or maybe a dusting powder for my mom as a gift.  I can't recall what the brand was, but it must've been commonly available in drug stores as that's where I was able to shop for it.  I'd love to find a true carnation scented fragrance, as I love the scent of the flowers.  Anyone have any ideas of a currently available true carnation fragrance that's not outrageously expensive?  TIA

Respected Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

Many years ago, maybe back in the 60's or 70's, I remember buying a carnation scented fragrance in a gift boxed set of a bottle of EDP & I think a bar of soap or maybe a dusting powder for my mom as a gift.  I can't recall what the brand was, but it must've been commonly available in drug stores as that's where I was able to shop for it.  I'd love to find a true carnation scented fragrance, as I love the scent of the flowers.  Anyone have any ideas of a currently available true carnation fragrance that's not outrageously expensive?  TIA

The only carnation frag I know is Caron's Bellodgia. It's still available, I believe. I recall buying it and Sortilege (Le Galion) and other perfumes in drugstores during the same era, but think you'd find comparable products in department stores now.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01  Your best bet would be to Google Carnation scent fragrance or whatever you are looking for.  I am sure you will find something.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I, too, adore the smell of carnation, as it is a rich and wonderful mixture of both sweet and exotic spicy.

I still have some very old bottles of RogeR & Gallet and even Crabtree and Evelyn carnation perfumes.  

Nowadays, it is difficult to find effective carnation scents, so I have tried similar flowers. I prefer natural flowers versus artificial scents. Unfortunately, many of the best perfumes are rather costly.

I like Royal Spyce (clove, cinnamon, pepper) from Bermuda, though it is technically sold for men!  Very reasonably priced though a bit strong!

My new favorite in summer is APOM (orange flower, cedar wood, ylang ylang) from Maison Francis Kurkdjian. (Yes, pricey.)

If you want to splurge, and go a bit strong,  try the Bond No. 9 New York scent- (bergamot, gardenia, oakmoss).

Hope you have fun going to the perfume counter and "testing out" many different fragrances!

Valued Contributor

L Air du Temp has carnation as the base note.

Frequent Contributor

@aubnwa01 

I believe it was Yardley of London that did the Carnation fragrance years ago. They had several single note fragrances that were popular.  I used to buy Lily of the Valley fragrance for my mother, back then. It was her favorite. I don’t know if they still make the fragrances today, but you could search for Yardley of London. I remember the pretty pink boxes the carnation fragrance came in.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

My mom used to wear Blue Carnation from Roger & Gallet (in the 60's & 70's) and I absolutely loved it. She said she started wearing it many years earlier as a young woman and it just became her everyday, signature scent.

I used the soaps to scent my lingerie drawer for some time, but haven't been able to find them in at least 15 years. 

I tried a dupe from one of those "we can replicate any scent" places, but it smelled like bug spray. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Contributor

The carnation fragrance I remember from that era was called  BELLODGIA. It was beautiful.

Honored Contributor

Go to fragrantica.com and click on "notes." Then key in "carnation." It will give you info and also a list of fragrances that feature this note.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Comme Des Garcons Series 2:  Red Carnation

I read about this on one of the Basenote reviews.  It sounded like what you were looking for.  It looks like it costs $90. + dollars.