Respected Contributor

I keep hearing about this ingredient in shampoo/cond. that help with hair shedding and/or hair loss.

I am curious, does anyone know more about this ingredient and have you ever used products with it in it, does it help?

I am reading reviews on Amazon but we all know how that goes, some are real, lots are fake, I'm just curious if anyone here has heard of it or used products with this ingredient in it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Capixyl in hair products

I have never heard of it, and when it comes to thinning hair and hair loss, I assumed I had heard of everything. I did find an article about it from 2012 with promising results but my feeling is that if it has been around since then and is so remarkable, why havent I heard of it ?? It contains something called Red Clover which I do think has some kind of estrogen effect.  Also contains a peptide. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have never heard of it, and when it comes to thinning hair and hair loss, I assumed I had heard of everything. I did find an article about it from 2012 with promising results but my feeling is that if it has been around since then and is so remarkable, why havent I heard of it ?? It contains something called Red Clover which I do think has some kind of estrogen effect.  Also contains a peptide. 

Thank you! @Shelbelle  Yes, i have heard that about Red Clover as well. I will try to search more and see what I can find out!!

Its in the Ordinary Multi Peptide serum for hair loss that is what got me reseaching it.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Thank you! @Shelbelle  Yes, i have heard that about Red Clover as well. I will try to search more and see what I can find out!!

Its in the Ordinary Multi Peptide serum for hair loss that is what got me reseaching it.

Keep up the research, I would love to hear more about it. I remember years ago Marilyn Miglin had a skin care line based on the Red Clover ingredient. 

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@SandGirl My DH and I are using the hair peptides serum from The Ordinary.  Our hair is thinning with age.  When I had a recent hair appointment our stylist, who is also our daughter, she noticed new growth in my temple area and baby hairs on top. That gave me confidence in the serum because I hadn’t said anything to her prior about using it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Red clover is a phytoestrogen. Estrogens in general help keep hair in the growth phase  which means the hair stays on your head longer. 

Peptides help increase blood flow to hair follicles, much like minoxildil and copper peptides do (both are vasodilators), which then causes the follicle to enlarge and produce hair which is bigger in diameter. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You have my attention, please tell me more about this hair serum from Ordinary, how do you use it  I shy way from things that need to be applied daily, or hair lasers since I keep fibers in my hair at all times and they will impede the efficacy of most of these things. I use a serum or treatment when my hair is wet, but that is only once a week. Would it be worth trying if only used once a week ?   And I only wash my hair once a week, with my lifestyle that is enough. Thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

This serum containsd Procapil, I just realized so does Joan Rivers Great Hair Day powder, which is part of the powder that I leave in my hair, the others are Toppik fibers. I put the Rivers powder in right after I wash my hair and only in the very top. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

You have my attention, please tell me more about this hair serum from Ordinary, how do you use it  I shy way from things that need to be applied daily, or hair lasers since I keep fibers in my hair at all times and they will impede the efficacy of most of these things. I use a serum or treatment when my hair is wet, but that is only once a week. Would it be worth trying if only used once a week ?   And I only wash my hair once a week, with my lifestyle that is enough. Thanks so much.

@Shelbelle once a week wouldn’t cut it.  The Ordinary Serum gets applied nightly to a dry scalp.  I run a couple of droppers around my scalp and massage in right before bed.  I just started using a rubber spikey scalp massager for this part but that isn’t required, you can use your fingers or maybe a wet brush. 

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle once a week wouldn’t cut it.  The Ordinary Serum gets applied nightly to a dry scalp.  I run a couple of droppers around my scalp and massage in right before bed.  I just started using a rubber spikey scalp massager for this part but that isn’t required, you can use your fingers or maybe a wet brush. 

@Shelbelle  We all also have to remember that one we start this type of "treatment" if you stop using it your hair will go back to the way it was so it really is a long term commitment.