Respected Contributor

Can you store unused hair dye?

I thought I had read on this board that people do this.  I could not for the life of me find my regular clariol root touch up number 7 dark blonde so I purchased clariol nice and easy number 7 dark blonde to touch up my roots.  I know I won't use the whole bottle of dye so can I save it for my next touch up.  How do you store and for how long?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can you store unused hair dye?

@ninjawife  You cannot save it.  Once it is opened and you have used any part of it, the product will bubble over after some time (within the day) and cause a real mess.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you have already mixed the color with the developer, then no you cannot save it. Try mixing half of each; then you can save the unmixed portions.

Frequent Contributor

I do it all the time

Just mix in a seperate container 1/2 of the both bottles seal them tightly...that mixture use and if there is any left, discard.  Put the both bottles back in the box for next time.

Have super short hair so i get 2 uses out of 1 box.

Trusted Contributor

I divide up my L’oreal Excellence into two uses:  pour half the developer into a clean, saved bottle with a closed top, & squeeze out half of the tube of color for use now, & recap the tube.  I’ve had no problems.

Honored Contributor

NO!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

As long as the developer and the dye have NOT been mixed it can be stored, I have done it many times, and it keeps for years. 

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@ninjawife  You cannot save it.  Once it is opened and you have used any part of it, the product will bubble over after some time (within the day) and cause a real mess.

Only mixed product does that because of a chemical reaction.

If you only mix what you need, you can save the unmixed portion of the tube or bottle to use another time. I usually mix two colors together to get the shade I want and when my hair was short, I didn't need the full amount.

Honored Contributor

Once the color and developer has been mixed it needs to be used immediately.  It is only active for a short amount of time.

Trusted Contributor

This should be in the instructions, under Special Cautions.

nice n easy.PNG