Respected Contributor

Re: Can you please suggest a makeup kit for mature ladies?

@Laura14  I'm 64, and not an expert, but I'd go with A343849  -  IT Cosmetics Special Edition IT Girl Holiday Beauty Book over the Tarte.  I like Tarte, but prefer IT products.  The IT Holiday Book has some nice products, and it will last a long time.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@Laura14 I'm no make-up guru but a light touch of a shimmer on her lids (eyeshadow or highlighter) will add a little light to her eyes.  If she applies too mcuh, she can tone it down a bit with some foundation powder.  Only sharing this in case you find a kit you really like and it has shimmer eyeshadow.  You are a veru kind daughter.  Thank you for treating your mother so well.  I miss mine terribly and wish daily she was here to share things with.  Blessings.

I agree.  I am in my 60s and a sheen on my lids looks much nicer for me than all matte.  Some are very glittery and some are just a nice shimmer or sheen.  Some of my faves are Charlotte Tilbury palettes, but no lips on those.

Honored Contributor

@ItsME  Oh my gosh, I have been sitting here all night going back and forth between the two. 

Neither one really has a bunch of brown shadows which I know she likes best but both do have shadows in her realm and I think IT has more products she would use.  Plus I like that she could travel with one nice thing which she tends to do.

I think I am going to sleep on it and decide which one hits me best tomorrow.       

Honored Contributor

@Laura14  I was shopping at Nordstrom and came across this $25 kit by Clinique which include blush, shadow, mascara and lipstick.  Really nice for the money.  You can always tone down lipstick color with concealer under it.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  Nice!

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

Tarte Tartieist Pro Palette (on sale at Macy's for only $24)

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 2.16.25 PM.png

I know this is not a whole kit. But the price is really good. And the shadows are mostly matte.

@momoftwo2007, pretty.  What is the difference between the square eyeshadows and the round ones?

@Icegoddess  The square ones are matte and the circle ones are shimmer.  So, the palette is mostly matte.  

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@momoftwo2007  Smiley Very Happy  You must be stalking me!  I have been looking at Macys all day too.   That Tarte palette was one of the things I put in my cart.  I have been going back and forth with a nice kit or different sets for each area.  

Unfortunately, she was home when I went home for lunch.  I just need one sneak peek to see what she's got and the colors she's about now and maybe what kind of makeup she currently has and then have credit card will buy.  

@Laura14  YES. I was looking at Macy's site all day, too Smiley Happy  The Tarte Palette is a great price and it has lots of Brown Tones that your mom likes.   Personally, I like seperate kits, because I don't like using brush or fingers for my lips.  So, I prefer lipsticks seperate instead of a lip palette winthin a comprehensive kit.

Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007  I honestly think that's what is holding me back from the IT book.  I have just never seen her use a kit.   I honestly don't know if she would mind using fingers or brushes or if she would prefer to stay separate. 

Tomorrow is another day to figure this all out.  Thank you so much for your recommendations.  Heart    

Respected Contributor

@Laura14Do you have a Sephora? I would check there because the woman are really good at helping find the right products.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14

I prefer to carry my lipstick separately and am not a fan of lip palattes- with one exception, which is Eve Pearls, hers is the approx size of a credit card. Easy to slide into my bag. But these three little lippies in the IT kit were not a deal breaker for me at all. I truly wouldn't shy away from this because of those at all. It's a nice way to sample these and pick up separately, if Mom likes these or the many other lip products by IT. Always sales etc going on...

There's such a nice array of product in this kit that can travel well and is really eye catching. A perfect gift in my opinion. Have you read the reviews or seen other utube videos?