Honored Contributor

Can we talk frankly about Wen?

Is this a forbidden subject?  I know there was a lawsuit because of hair loss.  Supposedly from menthol?  First of all, was that the true problem?  Second, has the offending ingredient been removed from products?  I had given up on my many flavors, and recently went back to a bottle of Wen Light restorable cleansing conditioner.  Seems like hair loss started up again, but perhaps it's just a normal amount.  I have been using dark sheets over the winter and those grey hairs just pop.  And why am I losing only the grey ones?

Honored Contributor

Re: Can we talk frankly about Wen?

@depglass   I used WEN for about 6 years before I stopped but I didn't stop because I was losing hair.  It just happened that about the same time I had no stash left, I had a shampoo/conditioner duo in my guest bath with no guests coming for monhs and I decided to finish it.  Worked just fine for me.

Unrrelated to WEN, I lost lots of hair with a new med.  The good thing was that just as the fine print said, the loss it stop and where I was thin from that I'm once again thick.

Someone else will have to remind us of how the lawsuit ended.  I didn't follow it well enough to remember, most likely because by the time it ended, I had already chosen more replacement products that work well for me.

Respected Contributor

I am going to guess that this thread will tank quickly. A very polarizing topic!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Just like any Class Action lawsuit...NO fault is admitted. WEN never agreed that their products OR ingredients caused any hair loss.

WEN did not admit any fault nor did they admit hair loss had anything to do with their product.

Again, like any CA suit, if you opt in ...you got reimbursement of $25.

Done over, you have no additional recourse.

You can always opt out of any CA lawsuit and try to seek damages on your own with your own attorney.

Esteemed Contributor

The lawsuit that was filed against Wen haircare products creator Chaz Dean and marketer Guthy-Renker bac... is every beauty lovers’ worst nightmare. At this point, more than 200 customers have joined the class action suit alleging that the company’s cleansing conditioner led to hair loss, scalp irritation and balding. And today, that case just got its first ruling from a Los Angeles federal judge, and things are not looking good for the sulfate-free beauty brand.

According to a preliminary ruling by a Southern California federal judge, the proposed $26.25 million settlement has been approved, which means roughly six million people could be awarded up to $20,000 in individual settlements. Before that happens though, the case will go on to be reviewed by a U.S. District Court Judge who will pass a final ruling on the settlement.

Attorney Amy Davis explained the plaintiffs’ complaints via a statement to CBS Los Angeles when the initial suit was filed last year, “From what we understand about the product and how it causes hair loss is it contains virtually no cleanser. It’s like using lotion to wash your hair. So instead of removing the product when you rinse it off, it just becomes impacted in your hair follicle.”

Wen also released a statement, saying, “Wen by Chaz Dean is safe and we continue to provide our hundreds of thousands of customers with the Wen by Chaz Dean products that they know and love. Since the process of litigation is time consuming and costly, we made a business decision to pursue a settlement and put this behind us so that we can focus on delivering quality products.” Putting this behind them might be harder than it seems, however, as the Food and Drug Administration is now also doing their own investigation into the company and its products. All in all, it’s enough to make anyone want to stop washing their hair altogether.

Honored Contributor

Frankly....some users experienced hair loss and others did not.  I loved Wen...everything about it, but over time I noticed hair loss.  I read others experiencing the same.  I stopped using Wen and tried again later hoping that it wasn't the Wen.  Unfortunately, the hair loss occurred again.  I was left with lots of unsed Wen products.  It is a great shampoo who don't have sensitivity to the mentod...I envy you being able to use this product.  Chaz is a well meaning and compassionate about his product.  I wish him well, unfortunately I just can't use his product.

Honored Contributor

@depglass   I don't use WEN, but to address the loss of grey hairs, I find some breakage of those silver ones, too. I think they may be more dry and brittle than our previous hair colors. I also think that dying our hair coated them and those hairs more strength....but also damage...50/50.

Try using a satin pillow case, deep condition and don't shampoo too often It helped eliminate some falling hairs.

Respected Contributor

I got a WEN sample a few years ago and could not use it because the menthol burned by eyes.  I don't understand the lawsuit.  If a person's hair starts to fall out due to the cleanser stop using the cleanser.  It is that simple.  I only used WEN cleanser once and never again will I use it due to eye irritation.

Honored Contributor

I tried it too, not alot, as I found all the fall-la-rah about how many pumps to use, how to use it, was way more time than I like to spend on my hair----and it made my very thin, fine hair feel greasy --and it made my skin itch. Just tossed it out--and then there was the full sized bottles in the 2 Beauty boxes from the cancer campaign that I gave away--now if I get any samples of it--automatically toss it. 

Respected Contributor

I think Wen will perform well for most younger, healthy, thick haired beauties -- like the models. They could probably wash their hair with mud and be okay. 

Those with health challenges -- aging, hormonal, medications, severe stress loads, thyroid issues, etc., would likely be the one's who would have the most issues with a shampoo lacking a good cleansing agent. Maybe issues with some of the 'natural' ingredients, as well. Their hair follicles are already challenged. 

I know, since I've been dealing with several of the above issues, leading to hair thinning. I used a sulfate free, creamy product (not Wen) and I had almost immediate increased hair loss,with oily,  itchy scalp. I thought it was coincidental, so kept it up longer than I should. 

I finally used a good cleansing shampoo and recovery began. I suppose one could use these shampoos without cleansing agents if they used a clarifying shampoo, at intervals, to cleanse and refresh hair follicles. In fact many recommend this, regardless of hair products chosen. We get a lot of buildup on our scalp.

I know now, I do best with a quality cleansing shampoo and light conditioner. Air dry.