Honored Contributor

Re: Can we talk SLEEP? (Hey, it's beauty) Or, should I say Lack of It - Cannot fall asleep!

Regular exercise can be vert helpful. I'm not talking about a gym membership. An early evening walk does wonders.

Sandgirl, maybe you need a Sandman. Wink

Regular Contributor

Re: Can we talk SLEEP? (Hey, it's beauty) Or, should I say Lack of It - Cannot fall asleep!

Sounds like what I'm still going through. Slept like a baby until about six years ago, even when a relative was dying. Then bingo, I couldn't fall asleep. With me it was meno, and it drove me crazy.

A lot of people don't like prescription meds, but I use Lorazepam just at night. One tablet helps me sleep straight through. My dr suggested it and it really works. When I don't have to get up the next day, I use OTC Midnite. It's melatonin, but with some other ingredients that seem to make a difference. Regular melatonin didn't work for me, but this does. Not as well as the Lorazepam, but much better than nothing.

I sympathize because not sleeping is awful. There was no way I could hold down a job without sleep. I hope you find something that works for you.

Respected Contributor

On 8/7/2014 imaclotheshog said:

Sounds like you have tried everything and it's good you are working with a doctor. I would seriously try the Lunesta, if you are desperate for sleep. If the doctor prescribed it, it must be ok for you to try.

I use melatonin tablets, they work best for me. You can buy the higher dose Melatonin in the 5mg., but those make me groggy the next day. I use the 3mg. In the past I've used Benadryl, the ZZZZQuil tablets not liquid. I have a sound machine in my bedroom. I also use a sleep mask. I really think that( for me anyway) it shuts out all light and helps me sleep. I use the Bucky eye masks. They are very comfortable and they rarely come off during the night. Sometimes I also will play a cd of relaxing zen music until I fall asleep, turned down very low. That even knocks DH out.

Thank you so much for your input - I do take the Lunesta most nights but even with that sometimes I still lay away the whole night - I would say it works for me 20% of the time and will give me 1-2 hours of "sleep" (sedation is what I call it) so I just feel it's not worth taking unless it's going to get me at least 4-5 hours sleep?

I am not sure the name of the sleep mask I use but I use one EVERY night, it blacks everything out, honestly I think it's how I stay sane those nights I stay awake all night while my husband and dogs are snoring away!

Honored Contributor

Sand girl you have my deepest sympathy. I stopped sleeping well during a period of intense stress, and I've never gotten better. I did everything you've done AND prescription sleeping pills, and NOTHING works. I'll be looking forward to seeing the suggestions you receive.
Respected Contributor

On 8/7/2014 sidsmom said:

Aww, Kitten...so sorry to hear you're still battling this. When you said your hormones are in check, I'm assuming thyroid as well? My thyroid levels became low for the first time ever this yr...I was always tired, but not sleepy...got me on thyroid Meds and it's getting better. Could the thyroid have been overlooked?

She checked my thyroid levels and said "they are in range" but when I look at them on my own they are like 0.4 over the lowest range, I would call them "low"? The Endocrinologist looked at the results as well and she had nothing more to add....

Put this on the wrong response below....oops

Just pulled up my chart - Okay I know TSH T3 isn't ALL the thyroid - this is just an example.

TSH is 0.4 and the good range is 0.4-4.7 so in my eyes, I am on the low side!!

Respected Contributor

On 8/7/2014 violann said: Sand girl you have my deepest sympathy. I stopped sleeping well during a period of intense stress, and I've never gotten better. I did everything you've done AND prescription sleeping pills, and NOTHING works. I'll be looking forward to seeing the suggestions you receive.

I am so sorry violann Smiley Sad It's awful and robs you of your life. I have said "NO" to things I normally go and do just because I am just to tired to do them, it's not like me but I have no choice, I feel like I am just getting by and not living life anymore which is really sad because I am a happy, bubbly person with a great life and husband, it's just awful how this lack of sleep can rob you of things in your life.

Just pulled up my chart - Okay I know TSH isn't ALL the thyroid - this is just an example.

Super Contributor

I've been through the same thing. Personally, I'd take the Lunesta. Most over the counter stuff doesn't work at all or stops working after a while and felt drowsy for half the next day. I got tired of driving to and from work half asleep (not to mention it's dangerous!!) and feeling like a zombie all the time. I took what my Doctor prescribed and I felt like a million bucks.

Respected Contributor

On 8/7/2014 FLsunlover said:

I've been through the same thing. Personally, I'd take the Lunesta. Most over the counter stuff doesn't work at all or stops working after a while and felt drowsy for half the next day. I got tired of driving to and from work half asleep (not to mention it's dangerous!!) and feeling like a zombie all the time. I took what my Doctor prescribed and I felt like a million bucks.

VERY TRUE and if the Lunesta put me to sleep I would for sure take it, it only works about 20% of the time (3mg) and it produces like 1-2 hours sleep at most, but most the time I don't go to sleep with it at all.

May I ask what your Dr has you on? I am reallywilling to try anything at this point!!

Super Contributor

On 8/7/2014 Sandgirl said:
On 8/7/2014 FLsunlover said:

VERY TRUE and if the Lunesta put me to sleep I would for sure take it, it only works about 20% of the time (3mg) and it produces like 1-2 hours sleep at most, but most the time I don't go to sleep with it at all.

May I ask what your Dr has you on? I am reallywilling to try anything at this point!!

I take Ambien--sorry can't remember the dosage right now. Definitely ask you doctor for something else since the Lunesta isn't working for you. Hope you get some sleep soon!

Super Contributor

On 8/7/2014 Sandgirl said:
On 8/7/2014 violann said: Sand girl you have my deepest sympathy. I stopped sleeping well during a period of intense stress, and I've never gotten better. I did everything you've done AND prescription sleeping pills, and NOTHING works. I'll be looking forward to seeing the suggestions you receive.

I am so sorry violann Smiley Sad It's awful and robs you of your life. I have said "NO" to things I normally go and do just because I am just to tired to do them, it's not like me but I have no choice, I feel like I am just getting by and not living life anymore which is really sad because I am a happy, bubbly person with a great life and husband, it's just awful how this lack of sleep can rob you of things in your life.

Just pulled up my chart - Okay I know TSH isn't ALL the thyroid - this is just an example.

With the thyroid it is better to be on the low side. 0.4 is considered in the good range. My TSH is 12.4. That's very high.