Trusted Contributor

Re: Can' t use retinol. Now what?

There have been numerous studies comparing retinol and matrixyl and have shown that they both can attain similar results. Isomers sells a good comprehensive matrixyl which has both regular matrixyl and matrixyl 3000. I am sure there might be other brands than also combine the two. They are different peptides so getting the benefits of both would definitely benefit the skin.

Peter Thomas Roth's Fusion (a very gentle retinol product) and Dr Gross Retinol/Ferulic acid serums are both suppose to work well on even the most sensitive skin. You might want to read the reviews on Fusion as it has been out a long time and there are tons of reviews available. Dr Gross's is newer and while the reviews are also good, there are not nearly as many.

PTR designed his Fusion so that even those who have not been able to tolerate any other retinol product will not have any problems with his. He added very specific additional ingredients to ensure no irritation and/or sensitivities. You can sometimes pick up a traveler size (still pretty ample) often on ebay for a really good price. PTR also offers that .40 size on his own site for $5.00 periodically. You could sign up for emails so you'd be alerted to when those offers are available.

I agree with all those recommending a good C and either retinol or a matrixyl serum. I use NCN's C serum and love it.

Valued Contributor

I enjoy rosehip seed oil. I have been using it since I found it on these boards as a natural retinol. I think it really makes a difference, especially around my eyes.

Valued Contributor

Years ago I tried OTC retinol products and ended up with red, irritated skin. I learned from a dermatologist that many people react poorly to retinol, but do just fine with retin-A. In my case, that was true. Once she started me on retin-A in a moisturizing base (name brand Renova), I had no negative reactions. So, you might want to consult a derm to find out if the same could be true for your skin.

Super Contributor

I just checked out the latest version of Paula Begoun's "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" from the library. True, all of her product reviews are available on her website (cosmeticcop dot com), but the book has a lot of value in other ways. For example, she clearly outlines the product categories she believes are the must-haves in a skincare regimen. Interestingly, retinol is not one of those things. Must-haves:

Cleanser

Toner

Exfoliant (such as AHA or BHA product)

Moisturizer (with SPF for day)

Anyway, according to Paula, using the correct type of toner and AHA/BHA product will make the greatest difference in the skin. I thought that was really interesting, so I'm trying her recommendations for now. (I'm also sensitive to retinol, although I haven't quite given up on the hopes that I'll be able to use it at some point.)

Super Contributor

I agree with those that recommended matrixyl and vitamin c. I recently got a sample of Paula's Choice Vitamin c serum with an order and I have to say I am really liking it. It contains L-Ascorbic acid, a form of vitamin c that irritated me in a product from Nufountain that I tried. I have had no irritation with this one! I also like Mad Hippie Vitamin c serum and Isomers Vitamin c stem serum. I am able to use retinol (well OTC), so I don't have any matrixyl recommendations. You may want to check out the matrixyl serums from Isomers and NCN. Good luckSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Makeup Artist's Choice also has many good skin care products, including a peptide serum called Transforming Anti-Aging Serum (with Matrixyl, Snap-8 and DMAE) and a 10% stable Vitamin C serum called Super C + E serum.

I haven't personally used either of these products but I've always been happy with the products from MUAC and you can purchase sample sizes to see if the products will work for you without spending a lot of money.

If you get on their email list, they will alert you when they have site-wide sales.

Their website is: makeupartistschoice.com

Super Contributor

On 3/12/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 3/12/2014 MarenSeattle said:I've read that Matrixyl is a good alternative for those who can't tolerate retinols.

NCN has a Matrixyl that contains all the variations of Matrixyl, it's on my "to get" list.

www.ncnskincare.com

I re-ordered, and this time I bought the larger amount.

OP, retinol isn't a necessity. If you feel that you can't tolerate it, then you shouldn't use it.

What results did you see, suzyQ3, that made you go back for more?

Super Contributor

On 3/13/2014 Beauty$Junkie said:

I enjoy rosehip seed oil. I have been using it since I found it on these boards as a natural retinol. I think it really makes a difference, especially around my eyes.

ITA!

Honored Contributor

Okay, I'll try to answer those who asked me some questions about the NCN Multi-Active Matrixyl 25% serum.

The consistency is different than their Vitamin C serum, which is like water. The Matrixyl is slightly thicker, just enough that it is easier to blend. And you don't have to be quite as quick. It's not goopy-type thick at all, though. The consistency is nice, and it makes it easier to use just a pump or two for the face (including all around the eyes and on the eyelids), as well as the neck and chest.

What I think might be unique about this Matrixyl serum is that it contains all three versions of Matrixyl plust another peptide. If you're not familiar with it, check out the description on NCN.

I've been using it twice a day for a little over a month. It really probably takes a good eight weeks to see results with that usage, considering we're talking about collagen production, as well as other benefits. But I do like the way my skin is looking, so that's why I ordered the larger size. Compared to the price of the comparable Isomer product, it's a very good value.

I use NCN's Vitamin C serum in the morning. NCN told me to use the Vit C serum after cleansing and toning and to let it absorb completely. Then they said to apply the Matrixyl serum. I wait at least 10 minutes before applying anything else.

At night, though, NCN told me to apply the Matrixyl and let it absorb BEFORE applying my retinol product.

Let me know whether I missed anything here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 3/13/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Okay, I'll try to answer those who asked me some questions about the NCN Multi-Active Matrixyl 25% serum.

The consistency is different than their Vitamin C serum, which is like water. The Matrixyl is slightly thicker, just enough that it is easier to blend. And you don't have to be quite as quick. It's not goopy-type thick at all, though. The consistency is nice, and it makes it easier to use just a pump or two for the face (including all around the eyes and on the eyelids), as well as the neck and chest.

What I think might be unique about this Matrixyl serum is that it contains all three versions of Matrixyl plust another peptide. If you're not familiar with it, check out the description on NCN.

I've been using it twice a day for a little over a month. It really probably takes a good eight weeks to see results with that usage, considering we're talking about collagen production, as well as other benefits. But I do like the way my skin is looking, so that's why I ordered the larger size. Compared to the price of the comparable Isomer product, it's a very good value.

I use NCN's Vitamin C serum in the morning. NCN told me to use the Vit C serum after cleansing and toning and to let it absorb completely. Then they said to apply the Matrixyl serum. I wait at least 10 minutes before applying anything else.

At night, though, NCN told me to apply the Matrixyl and let it absorb BEFORE applying my retinol product.

Let me know whether I missed anything here.

Brava, suzyQ3! GOOD JOB! You answered questions I didn't even know I had! When I finally get around to ordering from NCN, those are the products I'm planning on getting.

My only question (in my mind) is which Retinol to try -- she has that one with the "non prescription tretinoin, and Im wondering if that really makes a difference. I'm assuming you're using the "regular", and obviously liking it.