Occasional Contributor

Can someone explain how qvc charges tax on shipping?

QVC charges me tax on shipping when there is tax charged on the item. When there is no tax on the item, there is no tax on the shipping? It doesn't make sense to me. I'm in NJ, we so not pay sales tax on clothes or shoes, so I ordered the aerosoles tsv and there was no tax on my transaction, but the tax I paid for my Josie Maran tsv was not just on the cost of the tsv, but also on the shipping charge.

What's the deal?

New Contributor

Re: Can someone explain how qvc charges tax on shipping?

QVC is the only company I every bought from that charges tax on the shipping charge.  I buy from Amazon and Home Depot and other companys and QVC is the only one that does this. 

Honored Contributor

Tax laws differ from state to state.  You need to look up what is required in your particular state.

Honored Contributor

It's shipping and handling. The way I understand it, handling makes it taxable. But it varies by state. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

In Rhode Island if the product is taxablel so is the shipping. If the item is not taxable tax is not charged on the shipping. Everything depends on how the tax laws are written for your state.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow.  Old thread.  QVC does not charge tax on shipping - your state does.  Each state has a different tax rate on shipping charges. (my state charges over 9% on shipping costs)   If a company you order from has a "physical presence" in your state, your state will charge taxes on your order.  Back when QVC had their 50-in-50 states tours, they established "physical presence" in most states.  (this is how it was explained to me, anyway).  

And then, some states don't collect any taxes on shipping charges at all.  

If you purchase from a company or seller that does not have a physical presence in your state, you will not be charged tax (most Ebay sellers, for example) 

The tax is collected by and paid to your state, not to QVC. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

My state (Mich) charges tax on everything I buy from QVC, nothing from Evine, nothing from LC, and half the stuff from HSN (either phone or internet, I forget).  Amazon, it seems like most is taxed. Those are my main sources.  The rest I don't bother to keep track of.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

My state (Mich) charges tax on everything I buy from QVC, nothing from Evine, nothing from LC, and half the stuff from HSN (either phone or internet, I forget).  Amazon, it seems like most is taxed. Those are my main sources.  The rest I don't bother to keep track of

Evine used to not charge me sales tax on online orders.  HSN doesn't either. QVC always has.  Amazon is hit or miss with tax.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Regular Contributor

I am in Indiana and Evine recently started collecting sales tax which makes their often ridiculous commulative shipping that much worse. As someonel explained QVC has had to collect sales tax for years. And it all depends on each states laws as to whether they tax the shipping and handling.