Honored Contributor

Re: Can You Overdo the Hyaluronic Acid?

@marmarbrooklyn 

That's exactly how I use it Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal 

I can't tell you how many jars of this I've purchased.  Lots and lots and lots!  My dry skin instantly feels like it's been given a drink cold of water and kept in my mini facial fridge, it's sooo refreshing.  

Honored Contributor

If you live in an extremely dry climate, the hyaluronic draws the moisture FROM the skin.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

I use the Ordinary HA, I mix a drop or two into my regular night lotion.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@monicakm   My moisturizer is Buttermilk moisturizer by Mario Badescu.  Check out his website.  25% off your first purchase.  I use Keratoplast cleanser cream, Keratoplast toner and then my moisturizer.  My skin has been super hydrated.  He offers quite a few different moisturizers and you can get a profile for your skin type to let you know which products would be best for your skin type if you like.  Prices are reasonable.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 

Buttermilk!  Thanks for the reminder.  I haven't put buttermilk on my face yet tonight.  I wear and the Dingo drinks it (if it's good for dog, surely it's good for a Dingo).

Trusted Contributor

@marmarbrooklyn wrote:

@monicakm 

Hi 

you can overdo it but it depends on your skin type . I follow Dr Dray a dermatologist with her own Youtube Channel . She and other derms state that Hyaluronic acid on its own is not moisturizing . It helps hold moisture in . According to Dr Dray its best applied to damp skin and then put your regular moisturizer over it. I have oliy acne prone skin and even my skin would dry with just hyalauronic acid .

I have an HA product that recommends that it can be used in this way.

I bought it from Swanson's Vitamins, as I was looking for something with as few ingredients as possible, due to my facial skin especially being so sensitive.

Someone else here on the Beauty forum mentioned this brand already, called Reviva. 

I bought their HA Night Gel which can be used with another moisturizer.

I'm thinking of when to use this, though--if I even need it right now--because I'm noticing that my t-zone is really oily. 

My skin is combo., but can also get dry, too. Uggh!! Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not know if you can OD on HA topically. I do remember Wackers, who said that she could not use HA topically because of where she lived.

HA is a humectant, which draws moisture into the skin. I think we all need to understand what a humectant does and what an emolliant does, and what plain water does for the skin.

I think we need to moisturize our skin (according to our environment, and of course, there are other factors....) from a number of different ways.

One of those ways may be to use HA internally, as studies suggest.

Results

During the study period, the HA groups showed better level of the whole sulcus volume ratio, wrinkle area ratio, and wrinkle volume ratio than the placebo group. After 8 weeks of ingestion, the HA 300 k group showed significantly diminished wrinkles compared with the placebo group. Skin luster and suppleness significantly improved after 12 weeks in all groups compared with the baseline.

Conclusion

The results suggest that oral HA (both HA 2 k and HA 300 k) inhibits skin wrinkles and improves skin condition.

Trusted Contributor

im going to buy this next time im out at the store. it has excellent reviews on the site i looked on. worth a try,

Honored Contributor

I tried the unscented version of the Neutrogena Hydro Boost and for about 2 weeks it seemed fine. However, eventually it made my skin peel and get red. It was recommended on Dr. Dray's YouTube Channel, but I really have never had luck with her recommendations, so I stopped watching.