Honored Contributor

Can YOU tell the difference?

Ms Grimmond used 17 different products on each side of her face, with the drug store make up costing $305 and the high end almost triple at $890Ms Grimmond said that she really liked a lot of the cheaper products over their more expensive counterpartsIn the end, you can barely tell the difference between the two sides of her face

However she did have some issues with some of the cheaper make up, particularly when it came to bronzer and highlighter.

Ms Grimmond remarked that some of the cheaper products you needed to take more time with, but that they were good quality for their price.

However in the end you can barely tell the difference between the different sides of her face, and the 19-year-old said that there were some great dupes in the tutorial.

SHANI'S DRUG STORE PRODUCTS

Chi Chi brow pomade - $15

NYX HD concealer - $13

Chi Chi Spices eyeshadow palette - $23

NYX Angel Veil primer - $26

Maybelline Flawless foundation - $20

Maybelline Fit Me concealer - $15

Rimmel Match Perfection powder - $15 

Rimmel Stay matte powder - $12

Loreal Telescopic mascara - $27

Sleek Face Contour palette - $22

Melani Golden Baked bronzer - $17

Essence Berry Me Up Blush - $5

Nude by Nature highlight palette - $40

NYX Natural Lip pencil - $10

Clinique The Balm lipstick - $20

Color Pop Fairy Floss lipgloss - $8

Maybelline setting spray - $16 

TOTAL:  $305

SHANI'S HIGH END PRODUCTS 

MAC Fluidline gel cream - $32

MAC Longwear concealer - $38

It Cosmetics eyeshadow palette - $62

Violet Voss eyeshadow palette - $59

Make Up Forever primer - $58

Marc Jacobs foundation - $79

Urban Decay Naked concealer - $26

Laura Mercier setting powder - $62

MAC pressed powder - $44

Benefit roller lash mascara - $42

Benefit Hula bronzer - $51 

MAC Gold deposit bronzer - $48

NARS Amore blush - $44

Becca Opal Highlighter - $60

Kylie Cosmetics Dolce K lip liner - $18

MAC Yash lipstick - $36

DOSC Undressed lip gloss - $20

Urban Decay setting spray - $49

TOTAL: $890 

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can YOU tell the difference?

Nope!  I see no difference.

Honored Contributor

@catloverYes, I can see tiny bits of difference, so then the question becomes: Would I pay well over double the price to get those differences?

For me, the answer has to be no.  I can think of reasons someone might pay the extra dollars -  some incredibly special occasion, some job where every detail of your appearance mans keeping that job and earning way more money come to mind -  but for my life?  No reason to pay so much more for  tiny differences.

That said, when my eye issues didn't interfere with my wearing eye shadow, I often paid much more than drugstore prices to get an exact shade I liked.  The trade-off for me was that was the one shadow in my beauty drawer for a very long time.  I realized that worked best for me because when I used to clear my supplies from old products, I was finding all my shadows were quite similar; owning many was a waste of money.

Esteemed Contributor

What about the false eyelashes???  Don't see that listed.

Respected Contributor

Her brow on the $890 side is better shaped and higher allowing more of the brow bone to be seen than on the $305 side, but that is due to her shaping it or her natural shape.  Her lips are also not centered unless that is the appearance of fuller lips on the $305 side than the other.

Do you have a link to the video?

Respected Contributor

If true, that was an expensive demonstration!  $1200 for a demo?  Really?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

So, the point about the overall effect is well made (very small -if any- differences apparent). However, what is not mentioned is the difficulty choosing/buying drugstore products without being able to try them on first. This is critically important with makeup in order to get the shades that are right for you. Sure, you can always return drugstore products for a refund and try again with another shade, but who has time for that!! I sure don't. I hate the fact that premium cosmetics cost so much, but considering the value of my time and the need to try on the makeup before buying, expensive cosmetics are usually a better way to go for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not always just about the end result for the cheapest way possible.  Sometimes the choice what what to use has to do with a person's conviction on if the products are cruelty free or not, or the actual ingredients being used, if they are junk or irritating in any way, and those users are often willing to pay more money to get products that suit them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I can't tell a difference...

But I'm not really interested in what a 19 year old looks like immediately after applying makeup. That is not going to be helpful to me.

I'd be interested in a comparison done by a woman 40 years older. And I want to see how that makeup holds up all day.

Respected Contributor

Is there a link to the video?

I am much more interesting in how it wears.  I have lots of make-up at LOTS of price points that look great after I apply then am horrified when I look in the mirror later that day!  Ugghhh!!!!!

I will say I have seen a lot of mature women blogger videos that praise the Maybelline Better Skin foundation!  I am going to have to try it.  I have not bought a drug store in decades.

https://www.maybelline.com/face-makeup/foundation/super-stay-better-skin-skin-transforming-foundatio...