Valued Contributor

Can I vent at yet another bad haircut?

I am sooooo tired of getting bad haircuts! I have tried all the tips to asking people I see with great haircuts who does their hair, taking pictures to the salon to help explain what I want in a cut, letting the stylist recommend what they think when seeing the bulk, length and texture of my hair and most recently flat out telling a new stylist what doesn't work with my hair. I don't know, maybe that scares them. I ask what products they are using as my hair does not hold any type of style if too soft and does not do well at all with most pomades, "smoothing" products especially Moroccan or argon oils, and I need a good holding hair spray. Is that really too much to ask? It can look great while I am writing the check and by the time I am home it is flat and drooping.

I think I am also realistic that a new stylist is working with someone else's cut and it may take a few visits for them to reshape it as to not lose too much length on the first try. I give them 2 or 3 shots at it as they need to get to know my hair and most recently tried a very expensive salon with haircuts over $50. Here is the vent. I had the manager do my hair and first visit a great experience, even working with a bad cut from a salon I had gone to for over a year and the cuts just got worse over time so felt I needed tomove on once again. I had a picture showing I like some height at the crown (hair is like a modified angled bob and trying to grow it out past my chin) and it turned out nice with her thinning it a bit to remove the bulk. That is a talent and I really need a person good at it.

I thought I finally found someone who was talented with thick hair. I went back the second time and the cut "flopped" after about 3 weeks, I waited another 3 for my next appointment and this cut is just an uneven mess! I specifically pointed out that I liked the length in the front as it had finally grown a bit past my jaw line and I wanted to let that grow even longer. Even when she was cutting it kind of randomly I knew it was going to turn out bad but how do you really say STOP, there is no rhyme or reason to the way you are just picking up my hair and cutting into the ends of it. She had taken three inches off the sides which is now right below my cheek (I have had this "Little Dutch Boy" cut one too many times!) she struggled to dry it and I remarked I would never be able to dry it like that and pull it sideways and up with a huge round brush. What she was doing was struggling to give it some kind of shape that was lacking from the cut.

I also had it highlighted with the blue based bleached and I remarked that my hair takes a while to lighten. She said, oh no 15 minutes will do and after 15 minutes she washed it out and immediately said, Oh lets use some toner. Ugh Hugh. Not lifted enough, yellow and now toner needed. I am able to work with this my using the Clairol purple shampoo for gray and blondes a few times a week.

I will give her the benefit of the doubt and say and think the bad turnout was mostly because they over schedule people and she was rushing and still did not really know my hair. I truly believe my hair and most others unless very short cannot be cut and styled in 45 minutes. Then throw in that she was working on two people at the same time, me a cut and highlight and the other client with long hair being totally bleached, we are being charged a lot and getting little time.

So thanks for listening as I again fume every day to make this look like something, think about it was $165 wasted and I now have to let it grown a get a few more inches and really can't go back.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can I vent at yet another bad haircut?

You have my sympathies over this frustration, QVCfan! Even though your situation/hair type is different than mine.

I have regular hair, not thick, not thin, not curly, not problematic in any way, and I can count on one hand over the many years when I have had a truly decent hair cut!

I tell them everything too, what I want, what I do not want!

The last few times I never even bothered to go to the stylist, (cutting it myself) even though this one, who is relatively recent, is pretty good, and the first cut she gave me was wonderful!

Not good when they are blabbing away (even with you as the chair client - I absolutely hate that; I want them to concentrate!), or when they are working with a couple clients at once! Oh my! That should never be! I would definitely find someone else, as trying as that is.

Sometimes, too, I try to choose days/times when there is no one else around. Forget Saturdays, because they are always busy. If it's too late at night, chances are they are tired and just want to get out o' there.

Surely, we can beat this thing about bad haircuts!

Meanwhile, do what I do when I need to, and massage rosemary essential oil to stimulate hair growth.

Honored Contributor

I HATE bad haircuts too. Most times I get a good one from my stylist but not this last time. Don't know what happened but it's like she just hacked it. It's really short which I like this time of year but the last time well I just can't seem to get it to do anything that looks half decent. It's been about 5 weeks now and it still looks bad. So now I'm attempting to let it grow in. Growing my hair out from being really short is also SUCH A STRUGGLE!!!!! It never grows in nicely and then I get tired of how bad it looks and then I get it cut again.

A vicious cycle for me b/c my hair has ALWAYS been a problem except when I was in high school and wore it long. But then I listened to my mother telling me how horrible it looked. I could never win with her.

Super Contributor

Sorry about your bad haircuts. My favorite stylist moved about six months ago and it has been difficult finding someone who can do BOTH a great haircut and highlighting. The stylists I've been to either do a super job with the haircut and a poor job with the highlighting/lowlighting or vice-versa. This last time both my haircut and coloring were not done too well. I am usually easy going with my hair, but highlighting and lowlights are to provide dimension in my hair, and mine looks like it only one color which I could have colored my hair at home if I wanted those results.

Super Contributor

I think the best way to let your hairdresser see and feel how your hair behaves naturally is to wash it, let air dry on the day of the appointment. Don't style it at all. I did this (it was crazy looking but that was the point, she could see what I meant when I said there is nothing straight about my hair and so I wanted a cut that would work with it's natural tendencies and look neat as opposed to constantly fighting mother nature to get a specific style!). As much as I love the shorter sleek bobs, they just wouldn't work on me.

Anyway, my stylist then wetted my hair and gave me a cut that works wonderfully for my hair type. For the first time I can just wet it and let it go, no more craziness or fussing with gels, sprays and rollers to get it tamed! It helps to find a stylist who knows how to work with different hair types and not just how to cut trendy styles on anybody's hair. And you have to be willing to go with a style or cut that may not be your dream, unless you are willing to spend a lot of time getting it that way temporarily!

Honored Contributor

I have poker straight , baby fine hair. Think of most 2 year olds hair and you will have mine. Add to that that I am "blessed" with several cowlicks. I had a stylist in Pitts. that I loved and she retired just about the same time as when we moved to Fl. Once in Fl. I asked other ladies at the pool who cuts their hair and found a gem. Then in the summers when we come home to Pa I asked a girlfriend who lives closeby our campsite who she went to. Unfortunately, he is also now semi retired and I suspect he will be fully retired by next summer when we come home. So I am going to be back on the search for a stylist in Pa. When you have hair like mine you can't always have a style you like. Just because I see it on a TV star or in a magazine doesn't mean my hair can do that style. Instead, I have to content myself with a style that is good for what I'm working with. I would love to have shoulder length , beachy waved hair - but realistically, that would not be what I would have within an hour of walking out the door. So a much shorter, layered , straight cut that I can blow dry and go is a better choice for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I have curly untreated hair. I go to a local barber shop. And if for any reason I am not happy, one thing for sure... IT WILL GROW OUT. Also I don't use PRODUCT except drugstore hairspray and gel. I wash apply the spray and gel, let dry and go.

Respected Contributor

I'm done with the whole haircut thing. I went to a salon where my friend goes, only I chose the owner of the salon. $100 later (that included tip, I thought the haircut would only be $50 - stupid me) and he barely cut my hair at all, and didn't even trim my bangs. He put some subtle layers in and did that horrible angled garbage where it's longer in front and shorter in back. It's been 3-4 months now and I still hate my hair, I've never been able to style it at all and just gave up and went back to my old straight style. I took in a ton of pictures of the cut from all sides too, and he barely even glanced at them.

My hair grows very slowly, so I'm going to be living with this for a long time.

That's it for me. I'm sticking with the all one length hair and bangs, it's what works. I can go to a walk in salon and pay $5.00 for the bang trim or $20 for the haircut and have it be far superior to this mess. And lately I've been cutting my own bangs so free is even better.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry you're having problems getting the style you want. One thing that sticks out (or it seems so to me, at least) is that you're very decided about how you want your hair cut, what kinds of products you want them to use/not use, how they should go about styling it, etc. I wonder if stylists are intimidated or taken aback by your approach and would be more comfortable (and maybe more successful) if you gave them some general goals and let them work with your hair using the skills, techniques and products they know and find successful. Maybe you'd discover some techniques that work better than what's been tried in the past.

Just wondering......

Contributor

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

I don't know what the problem is with getting a quality haircut -- I tried a new salon, asked for the most experienced stylist who turned out to be the owner of the salon.

When I sat in the chair I specifically told him that I had horses and needed to put my hair into a ponytail and no bangs or short layers as I do not like hair in my face. I even said I would prefer a long bob, shoulder to just below shoulder length. What did I get? I got layers with the shortest one just at around my cheekbone and layers throughout. So much for my long bob from Edward Scissorhands-wannabe. That was back in November. I'm still growing it out and my poor husband keeps mentioning that I need my hair cut.