Super Contributor

Can I use salicylic acid and glycolic acid together?

I use Alpha Hydrox and am wondering if I can use 2% salicylic acid first before applying my alpha hydrox? I have some clogged pores, that I can feel, but not really see, unless you are looking for them. They are about 1inch down from the corners of my mouth, kinda in the chin area.

Also every night when I apply my AH I get a itchy-burning feeling for a few minutes. It doesn't actually burn my skin, just feels that way. Will it ever stop? It doesn't matter if I use 10%, 12% or 14% glycolic acid. At least my skin feels smooth and silky and no more breakouts. With retin-a my skin never burned, but always peeled. I still have 2 tubes of retin-A .05 and .025. I couldn't stand the flaking.

Thanks Beauties!

Contributor

Re: Can I use salicylic acid and glycolic acid together?

Yes, you can use them together. They are frequently combined into one product (SkinCeuticals, Glycolix, Peter Thomas Roth).

Yes, the itchy-burn goes away after a while. At least it did for me. Everyone is different, I suppose. =)

Super Contributor

I use to use Azelaic acid and it would burn but after about 5 days it stopped. I have been using this for months and it still burns, sometimes more than others.

Contributor

No problem depending on your skin. I use ptr pads as well as dr denese pads and both have combination. Glycol exfoliates and salicylic keeps yor pores unclogged. Love the combination. My skin does not look congested.
Trusted Contributor

I hope so because I've been using glycolic-salicylic pads for years.

Super Contributor

On 6/23/2014 vaccinia said:

I hope so because I've been using glycolic-salicylic pads for years.

What brand? And I'm assuming you're happy with them since you've been using them for years. :-) Thanks.

Super Contributor

Kind1too, have you considered stopping the AHA for a while and just using a BHA (salicylic)?

You're right that BHA's are excellent for congested and large pores. But they also work on the surface of the skin the way AHA's do.

I started using Paula's 2% BHA gel about 3 months and I'm thrilled with the difference in how smooth my skin is, how even toned. It's a workhouse along with my C+ serum.

eta: Paula might say it better:
Leave-on exfoliants remove old skin cells and stimulate collagen production. AHAs are great for dry skin. BHAs help with blackheads. Both reveal younger, healthier-looking skin.

Super Contributor

This is from the PC website, under 2% BHA gel:

• Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel Exfoliant
Resist Daily Pore-Refining Treatment With 2% BHA
Wrinkles and breakouts at the same time? Not anymore. This lightweight leave-on exfoliant removes old cells on the skin’s surface and inside the pores, while repairing signs of aging.
Item #: 782
  • Acne Breakouts, Anti-Aging, Blackheads, Enlarged Pores, Keratosis Pilaris, Redness, Rosacea, Wrinkles
  • Combination, Oily Skin
  • Leave-on exfoliant unclogs & shrinks pores
  • Stimulates collagen & smooths wrinkles

eta: clear out the html code

eta: There are other BHA formulations for other skin than oily - even for dry skin.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/23/2014 Kind1too said:

I use Alpha Hydrox and am wondering if I can use 2% salicylic acid first before applying my alpha hydrox? I have some clogged pores, that I can feel, but not really see, unless you are looking for them. They are about 1inch down from the corners of my mouth, kinda in the chin area.

Also every night when I apply my AH I get a itchy-burning feeling for a few minutes. It doesn't actually burn my skin, just feels that way. Will it ever stop? It doesn't matter if I use 10%, 12% or 14% glycolic acid. At least my skin feels smooth and silky and no more breakouts. With retin-a my skin never burned, but always peeled. I still have 2 tubes of retin-A .05 and .025. I couldn't stand the flaking.

Thanks Beauties!

The others answered about using BHA, too.

Yes, this should stop altogether. However, you describe it as burning, and I've never felt that, just the itching, not on my face, but on my neck area, as I was easing into using AHAs there. You may want to buffer w/ rose water & glycerin, and perhaps use a moisturizer afterward. As long as you have no redness w/ using AHAs.

About the flaking w/ retin-A (I've never used retin-A, but did have that w/ retinol) - that, too should subside. Those percentages may be too strong. I've got a variety of thoughts about flaking, but won't go into it all.

Super Contributor

The ASDM site address's the burning feeling. They suggest using 50% water and 50% baking soda and pat your face with that. Also you can email someone at ASDM since they sell both type products and ask an expert. They won't question if you are a customer or not.