Trusted Contributor

Re: Can I use Retin A right after using the .25 Derma Roller? Or...

wackers - Dr. Setterfield goes into detail about specific ingredients to avoid after a 0.5mm roll. If you'd like to post the actual products you are planning to use, I'll check out the ingredient decks w/ his book.

eta: Dr. Setterfield recommends the MAP form of Vit C over Ascorbic Acid. He also recommends Retinyl Palmitate over Retinol.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Respected Contributor

On 5/10/2014 beautybee said:

Where did you buy your .25 roller? I'd like to use one before putting on my serums.

I got mine on Amazon.
Respected Contributor

On 5/10/2014 wackers said:
On 5/10/2014 lyn in MI said: BeautyAddiction - Dr. Setterfield recommends the following topical antioxidants for days 1 - 5 after rolling w/ a 0.5mm length roller:<br /> Alpha Lipoic Acid<br /> Vitamins A, C &<br /> Omega 3<br /> Glutathione<br /> Resveratrol<br /> <br /> He recommends using moisturizers with ceramides to help alleviate the dryness. He also advises we avoid direct sun exposure for at least 10-28 days if possible, and thereafter to use a minimum SPF 30 daily, "rain or shine".

lyn - when Dr S. says day 1 thru 5, does that also include immediately after rolling with the .5 mm roller. I am going to use my .5 this weekend for the first time and want to be sure I use an appropriate product immediately following. I had intended to use it right after you gave me the rolling chart but haven't had the chance. I need to get started.

I have read that diluting Vit C with water can be an option for those with sensitive skin which I was considering since I use a 20% C serum - don't want to have my neighbors hearing any torture screams if I attempted to use it full strength {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Have also considered using Kate's Retasphere as it is so gentle and in a very hydrating cream base. It actually moisturizes my skin which is unusual for a retinol product.

I have a serum with ceramides and was planning on applying that first then following with a moisturizer due to my already very dry skin for at least 5 days. I would assume that's okay.

He also recommends that we NOT use Copper immediately after rolling with a .05 as it will speed up the healing and thereby dilute the collagen induction. Just thought I'd point that out as even though I have and read the book somehow it slipped my mind and I applied after .05. No problem to use it after an absorption roll.

Respected Contributor

On 5/10/2014 BellaCarro said:
On 5/10/2014 wackers said:
On 5/10/2014 lyn in MI said: BeautyAddiction - Dr. Setterfield recommends the following topical antioxidants for days 1 - 5 after rolling w/ a 0.5mm length roller:<br /> Alpha Lipoic Acid<br /> Vitamins A, C &<br /> Omega 3<br /> Glutathione<br /> Resveratrol<br /> <br /> He recommends using moisturizers with ceramides to help alleviate the dryness. He also advises we avoid direct sun exposure for at least 10-28 days if possible, and thereafter to use a minimum SPF 30 daily, "rain or shine".

lyn - when Dr S. says day 1 thru 5, does that also include immediately after rolling with the .5 mm roller. I am going to use my .5 this weekend for the first time and want to be sure I use an appropriate product immediately following. I had intended to use it right after you gave me the rolling chart but haven't had the chance. I need to get started.

I have read that diluting Vit C with water can be an option for those with sensitive skin which I was considering since I use a 20% C serum - don't want to have my neighbors hearing any torture screams if I attempted to use it full strength {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Have also considered using Kate's Retasphere as it is so gentle and in a very hydrating cream base. It actually moisturizes my skin which is unusual for a retinol product.

I have a serum with ceramides and was planning on applying that first then following with a moisturizer due to my already very dry skin for at least 5 days. I would assume that's okay.

He also recommends that we NOT use Copper immediately after rolling with a .05 as it will speed up the healing and thereby dilute the collagen induction. Just thought I'd point that out as even though I have and read the book somehow it slipped my mind and I applied after .05. No problem to use it after an absorption roll.

Oh good, cause I used Copper this morning after my . 25 Derma roll.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Thanks lyn, you really are a kind generous soul. I will look through my products then post. Now I am hoping I actually have something on hand already that would be an appropriate option.

I did read on the owndoc site that a retinol acid should not be used after rolling which I completely spaced out when mentioning Kate S's retinol. Owndoc sells a product called Infadolan which is a retinol palmitate, if I am not mistaken. I have it in my cart over there but forgot to finalize the order last week. I also had their Chloramine T in the cart for cleaning my rollers and was debating their Vit C crystals which when mixed with water, make a 5% Vit C solution. That's what caused my delay - when I am not totally decided.

I have to believe that Kate's Retasphere is a retinol acid so that's not going to work.

I have a green tea serum - it's from NCN - would that be something safe enough to use for my first time before I purchase Infadolan or a MAP serum? Wish I had some of my Isomers Map still around but think I finished that up.

My C serum is also from NCN and although it does contain MAP, it also has Ascorbic in it. I am just in the process of restocking a lot of my skincare so am not well supplied at the moment with a lot of choices.