Honored Contributor

Re: Can I mix red hair color???

On 3/26/2015 Shelbelle said:

I have been using Colorsilk for the last 18 years. I have called their CS many times to ask if their shades can be mixed and I always get an answer of NO!! I just bought a bundle pack of 3 Colorsilk Dark Auburn on amazon for $8.91 with free shipping. My local Walmart and Targets never have Dark Auburn anymore. If you ever have Colorsilk questions or concerns call 1 800 4 REVLON

They tell you that so in case you do something really stupid you can't sue them or blame them if you get bad results. They will also tell you that you can't use the dye for your eyebrows, so that if you drop it in your eye and go blind, you won't sue them.

I've mixed my reds and dyed my brows for nearly 20 years. Just be careful. I only mix things that are similar. Sometimes a Light Auburn is too light or too coppery but a Dark Auburn is too dark. That's when I use a box of the lighter color and mix in 1/4 to 1/2 of the darker shade.

Colorists do this all the time.

Valued Contributor

Of course you can mix shades of red together, but make sure they are in the same product line manufacturer like all Revlon, all L'Ore'al, all Clariol, etc.

I do that frequently with brunette shades to get a custom color and besides, it is fun!

Honored Contributor

I am not sure why anyone would need 3 boxes of color for their hair. Maybe 2 boxes on rare occasions, but never 3.

If you have been coloring your hair with this brand and color, you only need to touch up the root area.

To do this, divide your hair into 4 sections...front to back and side to side...twist up long hair and secure with clips.

Next mix up the color in a bottle applicator. Color the section that is resistant to color the most. Just use the tip of the bottle to part your hair in straight sections and apply color to the regrowth only. Apply this way to the full head. Leave color on the desired amount of time on the root area only, then use a gloved hand or a wide tooth comb and very gently pull the color through to the rest of your hair. Process for maybe 5 minutes more. If there is more color in the bottle, you can use that too.

I can think of a thousands reasons of why you should not apply color to your full head of hair each and every time you color for the full allotted time. Yikes!!

And to answer your question, it is ok to mix more than 1 box of different colors as long as they are the same brand and type and in the same color family. Warm reds with warm reds and cool reds with cool reds...never mix a cool red with a warm red color.