New Contributor

Ok, so I always use Revlon Colorsilk as it's the best brand for my hair, but I have to use three boxes because of how long/thick my hair is. I bought two boxes of their bright auburn and I can't find a third box anywhere to save my life. So my question is would it be ok/safe if I mixed two shades of red together? And if so, what kind of container would I use? I looked into it a little and a lot of people say it's safe, but they were all using blonde or brunette. I don't want to ruin my hair!! Any advice is welcome, however, I can't afford to go to a professional stylist (and I've already bought two boxes) so it's something I'm not up to doing. Thank you!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Can I mix red hair color???

I do it frequently to get a color I like. The important thing is to mix them all at the same time. I use a glass or plastic measuring cup and a plastic spoon, mix it up, pour it back into the bottles, and then use as usual. Avoid metal containers or spoons, as it causes a reaction with the dye. Sometimes I use one box of one color and half of another, which requires some actual measuring. If you mix all the contents of each box, it's easy.

Oh, they all have to be the same line. I wouldn't mix a Revlon and a L'Oreal, for example, or a Revlon ColorSilk and a Revlon anything else.

Honored Contributor

It seems any hair color goes these days so whatever happens you'll be fine.

Respected Contributor

Yes, you can mix as long as you stay with the same ....Revlon.

I just checked and Amazon has your color from Revlon in bundles of 3 for $16.99.

Trusted Contributor

I always do to get the exact shade of red I want. I use the Clairol Professional line.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I have been using Colorsilk for the last 18 years. I have called their CS many times to ask if their shades can be mixed and I always get an answer of NO!! I just bought a bundle pack of 3 Colorsilk Dark Auburn on amazon for $8.91 with free shipping. My local Walmart and Targets never have Dark Auburn anymore. If you ever have Colorsilk questions or concerns call 1 800 4 REVLON

Esteemed Contributor

I've been coloring my red hair for 30 years. I use Clairol and I mix two colors to get the shade of red that I want. I would probably only suggest mixing if they are the same brand. Don't know whether it would matter, but just in case.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

yes. it's even suggested to mix different shades in the same color family to add dimension to your color.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
New Contributor

Thanks everybody!! I feel a little more confident after getting more opinions, only one way to see what happens!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/26/2015 SoftRaindrops said:

Yes, you can mix as long as you stay with the same ....Revlon.

I just checked and Amazon has your color from Revlon in bundles of 3 for $16.99.

Here it is at drugstore.com too

http://www.drugstore.com/revlon-colorsilk-beautiful-color-bright-auburn-45/qxp26902?catid=183448

I see they have 2 other reds you could mix. True Auburn and Light Reddish Brown

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines