Super Contributor

I just received my Calister Tools Perfector and would like some feedback from others who use this tool. I have used it once and so far I like it. My main reason for buying it was to use in the morning to smooth my hair and make it look presentable without always having to wash it in the morning.

I would like your opinions on how this tool has worked for you.

Thank you,

Bookbabe

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Calister Tools Perfector

I got mine about a week ago and have worked with it a few times. My purpose in getting it was to to try to give some height and fullness on the top of my head where it's thinning and goes flat thus showing my scalp and as well as to work with the spots on the top back, think you call it the crown area where I have some cowlicks and the hair keeps separating again showing scalp. It has been working pretty good for my issues, however, once I get the hair in place I do have to use hair spray right away to hold it there otherwise I find in an hour or so what the perfector did comes undone. I don't really like using hairspray because it requires more frequent shampooing but as long as the perfector gets it as good as it seems to have so far I'll just have to go with the flow and use the hairspray. Or I might pick up a setting lotion of some sort to see if that solves that problem. My hair is short though and although I can get my hair easily around the 1 inch barrel I still wish it came in a smaller diameter, like 3/4 of an inch. As for the rest of my hair where I just want to smooth it down it works well but again wish it came in a smaller diameter.

Super Contributor

I finally took the plunge after seeing this product presented numerous times. I have a bob, just below my chin, with a few longer layers. Against Maria's advice, I purchased the larger brush, and I'm glad I did. I don't "curl" my hair but usually add a few large velcroe rollers for body at the crown and turn my ends under. The smaller barrel would have definitely been too small. (She recommended those with hair to the shoulders and shorter should use the smaller barrel.) So I was happy with the size I chose.

I set the Perfector on the lowest setting for my fine, straight hair, and it curled it literally instantly. There was also lots of body and shine that lasted all day. It definitely performed better than the "curling brushes" I've used in the past.

In the end, I did return it. I felt the unit got too hot for my hair (even on the lowest setting). I was afraid of eventual damage, even though I didn't have the brush in my hair but for a few seconds at a time. Additionally, each time I turned my Perfector on, it went to the default setting, not the lowest setting I "locked" on my unit. This made me wonder if my Perfector was malfunctioning and getting too hot.

I should add that I do use hairspray. Even so, I definitely got better, longer lasting body with the Perfector than I get otherwise.

I think this device is great for certain hair types, but gals with fine, thin, color treated, or otherwise damaged hair should use it with extreme caution.

Super Contributor

Hi Shaggygirl I have the crown problem also and my hair is short too. I can just about get the hair around the brush but your idea of an even small brush would be great. I am growing out my bangs and it works great on them. I am still not sure about it but will keep trying it.

I will try the hairspray also. I have one spot in back that you see scalp all the time. ugh

Hi Heart of Spade my perfector goes to the highest setting also even though I locked in the lowest. I thought it might be me and that I need to read the directions again.

Bookbabe

Esteemed Contributor

Well I've had more time to work with it now and the more I use it the more I'm liking it. For example, this morning my hair was all over the place, as if someone took an egg beater to it overnight. I didn't need to shampoo yet though, just did that yesterday. So I brushed out the hairspray that was still in my hair from yesterday, it was only very lightly sprayed, then I fired this thing up (haven't messed w/the temp settings, just leaving it on the default setting) and just kept rolling the different sections of my hair around it for a few seconds then lightly combed through it and I have to say it saved me time. My usual method of getting to look human again would have been to spray my hair with some water, work w/my brush and hair dryer then work with the trouble spots w/my curling iron and my flat iron, so the Perfector saved me quite a bit of time and effort. And I definitely notice more shine in my hair when I use it.

Respected Contributor

I have had mine for about a month. I absolutely love it. I am no stranger to the heated styling brushes. I have naturally wavy, baby fine hair. A stylist recommended years ago that I use the heated brushes instead of the clamp style curling iron because of the texture of my hair. The old Conair brand has a metal barrel and it worked well but this Perfecter is far superior due to the ionic technology. My hair is chin length and I have it cut in a short stacked bob. I get lots of body and volume plus shine. I have the one inch barrel and it works great for body and volume but I do wish they would offer the three quarter inch barrel for those times when I want more curl and height in the crown area. Usually I style my hair when I wash it and spray it lightly with Paul Mitchell Freeze and Shine or Tresome hairspray. I can just use my fingers to poof it up the next morning or I can brush out the hairspray and use the tool to re-style. I think it is a great product.

Esteemed Contributor

Something I just now figured out. Above my bathroom mirror (it's over the vanity) I have a bar with 5 round bulbs. I turn them on via a lightswitch on the wall. On the end of the bar is the built in electrical outlet where I plug in whatever I happen to be using, blowdryer, flat iron and now since I got it the Perfector. I also have an overhead (in the ceiling) light/exhaust fan combo. Soooooo, the past few days I've noticed that sometimes those 5 bulbs flicker slightly. Well I just did some experimenting and discovered that when those 5 bulbs on the bar flicker is only when I have the Perfector turned on. As soon as I turn it off they don't flicker anymore. It's not heavy flickering but enough to be noticeable. I experimented with both my blow dryer, my flat iron and my other curling iron and no flickering. Weird. It's the only outlet I have in there so can't plug it in anywhere else. The only way to avoid it would be to flick the switch on the wall then loosen all 5 bulbs every time I use the Perfector then tighten them up again. Not going to do that! I just find it strange.

Honored Contributor

I have it and love it. I have quite long silvery white hair now. I use no product in my hair and it's very fine. The Perfector takes only a few minutes for a soft wave, my hair has never looked so pretty.

My very picky daughter tried it out and bought one for herself. She loves it too.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

I'm very happy with mine too and have no plans to return it, I just thought it odd how it causes the bulbs to flicker a little bit. Maybe it draws a lot of power, I don't know. I just know that's the only hair appliance that makes that happen.