Honored Contributor

Re: Calista perfector, yay or nay?

[ Edited ]

I'm wondering about the broken teeth that some have experienced. Mine has never had any teeth break off. I wonder if it has something to do with styling products getting onto the teeth, possibly making the plastic weak and break...? I use a detangling leave-in spray when my hair is wet then dry it completely before using the Perfector. But other kinds of heat-styling products might be affecting the plastic teeth...?? I'm not sure about it. I know that many heat-styling products contain silicones and this does react with some plastics.

Contributor

Mine is a couple of years old and used a couple of times a week.  My hair is curly enough that I can dry it w a hair dryer only when I shampoo but I need the perfector to solve bedhead on days I don't shampoo.  Curling irons never worked for me as my hair is heavy and thick.   Perfector is easy to use and makes my flat, slept on hair look great.  I have never burned myself with the perfector like I did a few times with curling irons.

Honored Contributor

I ordered one because lately I have less dexterity with a curling iron. Hopefully, I can use it for just a little bend in my very straight hair...

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I think it depends on your hair type too as to whether this will work for you and what you want it for.

I have thin, fine, poker straight hair.  When I tried to use the Perfector on my freshly washed and dried hair, it did absolutely nothing for me.  It didn't even put a bend in my hair.  It worked okay on second day hair that already had some bend/curl to it but needed to be de-frizzed a little or fixed a little.

My SIL has it and loves it but she has thick, course hair.  She uses it to  smooth her hair, tame frizzies and curl her hair. 

I posted in the TSV forum that the demos on this IMO are horribly misleading. They keep using the same models over and over who already have their hair done and they just run the Perfector through it.  They need to bring out a model with my hair type, with just washed and dried hair and use it.  I"m guessing they don't do that because it doesn't work well.

I ended up buying a round styling brush that dries at the same time.  That type of styler works on my hair. 

I thought about buying it, but I have hair like you do.  So, it is a NO for me based on your experience.  Thanks for sharing.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I think it depends on your hair type too as to whether this will work for you and what you want it for.

I have thin, fine, poker straight hair.  When I tried to use the Perfector on my freshly washed and dried hair, it did absolutely nothing for me.  It didn't even put a bend in my hair.  It worked okay on second day hair that already had some bend/curl to it but needed to be de-frizzed a little or fixed a little.

My SIL has it and loves it but she has thick, course hair.  She uses it to  smooth her hair, tame frizzies and curl her hair. 

I posted in the TSV forum that the demos on this IMO are horribly misleading. They keep using the same models over and over who already have their hair done and they just run the Perfector through it.  They need to bring out a model with my hair type, with just washed and dried hair and use it.  I"m guessing they don't do that because it doesn't work well.

I ended up buying a round styling brush that dries at the same time.  That type of styler works on my hair. 

@Lipstickdiva, what styling brush do you have?  My hair is the same way...so thin, fine, and straight and slips out of almost every styling device.

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  I agree about the demos.  Honestly, I don't think any of the styles look that good.  The finished demos wouldn't encourage me to buy the product.

Super Contributor

I have super thin fine hair and I bought one of the smaller barrel perfectors to try to give some volume to my hair. No volume whatsoever so sent it back. I think it might work better for people with thicker hair but if your hair is fine or thin, it might not give you the results you are looking for. 

Honored Contributor

I have one that I bought a couple of years ago, it was a TSV. I'm embarrassed to say I think I have used it maybe twice, I should have returned it. I didn't like it, but then again you can't go by me as I am not that good with my hair. I usually just put product in my hair, bend over, and use a hairdryer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The first heated round brush I bought was made by Prestige. It came in a one size barrel, a 1-1/4 inch and it has two heat settings. I still use it occasionally when I want more curl. After using this Prestige brush for quite sometime I decided to buy the larger Calista 1-1/2 barrel. I am happy with both brands...perform nearly the same imo.

Prestige Ionic Styler - $25 to $50

dfe41a5c-c3ff-4455-a7f8-0fb79c60c433_1.3a5b14b56dfd28486c6e7c746908cbdb.jpeg

Respected Contributor

It was a definite NAY for me.  Returned it almost as fast as I unpacked it and attempted to use it.  

Go to Wal Mart and buy a curling iron, you will get the same results for a lot less money.