Honored Contributor

Re: CURLY GIRLS SHARE STYLING TIPS

@Trix  My curls are fine and unless "encouraged" w/ products like mousse, etc, they don't form uniform curls. Yep! That's the issue w/ curly hair...we all need different products.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1  How about trying a satin pillowcase...doesn't have to be expensive. I found poly satin-like pillow protectors that zip on at Bed Bath & Beyond. I find my hair slides along the pillowcase and doesn't drag, frizz/break like on cotton. I also have a few areas that don't curl as well as other places. I use tiny pincurls there while rest is air drying. My hair got more frizz as Ingot older, too. Stylist explained it was my wiry greys & I needed to deep condition more often. 

Honored Contributor

My hairdresser recommends cleansing conditioners in general; no specific brand just if you have curly hair you should be using a cowash. She uses Matrix Biolage and I use Wen.

The combination of Wen and no longer using a hair brush has made a world of difference on my 56 year old head of hair! It's just about to my waist for the first time IN MY LIFE! Between not being so brittle in the first place and not tearing with a hair brush I now have hair that I'm frequently complimented on.

I cleanse once a week and use a handful of styling products (alternately) like Wen's texture balm, Matrix Biolage gel defining cream and the Tigi Catwalk Curls Rock (defining gel) I NEVER use heat; drying naturally is the only method for me.

My curl is similar to Rosanna or Adanna (Wen models) and after I'm told 'your hair is so beautiful!' I get 'do you perm your hair?'

Esteemed Contributor

There were some stylists were tauting cleansing delicate hair using only conditioner before labels co-wash and cleasning conditioner became vogue.  The salon I went to in the 1980s was a high brow place with locations in LA and NYC.  My stylist recommended washing using a mild shampoo no more than once per week. I objected because used a lot of styling products daily, and also danced socially in a club.  I didn't want stale smelling hair, so he recommended using conditioner with lots of water for the additional washes.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks for great replies. Enjoyed your suggestions. I was at the salon (hate that word, but beauty parlor is outdated) yesterday & my stylist told me I can mix equal parts conditioner and shampoo...sulfate free & silicone free... to create my own co-wash w/ just a little bit more scalp cleaning.

She suggested not using more than twice a week, just rinsing w/ conditioner once a week (for fine hair since gets weighed down) & wear shower cap in shower other days...steam puts moisture back in curls & don't have to go through entire product, drying routine. 

Honored Contributor

I have fine hair and perm to get my curls plus color.  Naturally it is just enough waviness that it has to be styled and I have a cowlick in the bang area that's a real pain to work with.  Curls allows me no-fuss hair.  

I use Renpure cleansing conditioner.  I don't use near as much as they suggest, and then use another conditioner while I'm finishing my shower.  Once a week I shampoo with Pureology.  I tried the micorfiber towel, but it sucked too much moisture out of my hair.  I just "bun" my hair in the back squeezing out the excess and wrap it in a towel.

I use a spray leave-in conditoner, but haven't found my holy grail one yet.  I first use a little Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk.  This seems to provide the mositure and frizz control.  Then, I turn my head upside down and scrunch Samy Get Curls Curl Reactivator in.  This provides curl definition.  I'm so afraid this product will get discontinued especially since Samy isn't on any of the shopping channels anymore.  Then, I let my hair sit as long as possible before drying with a diffuser. Even though I have fine hair, I have to dry it or I get cold, and it really doesn't look good air-dried.  I may or may not use a root lift spray before drying depending on my mood.  

To finish I mix Jonathan Product Silky Dirt (another product I'm afraid will go away) with a drop of a diy oil mixture and scrunch into my hair, usually teasing the area of my cowlick and the back of the crown.  

It looks like a lot written down, but it is quite easy and a lot easier and gentler on my hair than hair dryers and styling brushes and especially curling irons or flat irons.

I recently found the most wonderful diffuser made be Xtava.  It's a big thing, but it has holes at the tips of the fingers which gets the warm air down to the roots.  

Trusted Contributor

I agree that some products that work great for others can be disastrous for some. FRUCTIS products have made my hair flat and dry.I've tried three FRUCTIS for curly hair and all were duds. I usually use Quidad for styling & leave in conditioning and Abba shampoo with Matrix Biolage for condioners. I have one Abba conditioner, a color care version, that a few reviews say "wet dog smell" & I agree. I still use it once or twice a week but when I run out, I wouldn't repurchase. Some of Matrix Biolage shampoos aren't gentle enough, but I'd try a cleansing conditioner by them next time I shop.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess  I'm seeing by your reply & others that curls are not easy and products are difficult to find what works. In fact what works for me today, may not be great next  month. Just keep deep conditioning. What we all have in common is that curly hair is dry hair!