Honored Contributor

CURLY GIRL METHOD FOR GREY HAIR

As if the CGM was not involved enough, although I’ve mostly followed it for years, there seems to be additions/modifications for grey curly hair.

There’s a curly grey hair book also by Lorraine Massey that was published about a year ago. Some products w/ silicone or sulfates (where I may have cheated a bit on styling products) can turn grey hair yellow or dry out grey hair further.

So, my book is coming from Amazon to read the “rules & suggestions” for grey hair. 

Respected Contributor

Re: CURLY GIRL METHOD FOR GREY HAIR

I have used curly girl method now for two years, and this after at least 10 years of trying to get WEN products to work.  My hair always looked frazzled as I went from one WEN product to another. 

I gave up, found this on the Internet and started using it based solely on the pictures of the before and after. I actually didn’t have curly hair, but as I followed the method my hair got healthier and healthier. And guess what, I now have wonderful soft curls.

My hairdresser simply cannot believe the condition of my hair,  and asks me on every visit to explain to her again what I am doing. So if you have not been able to get WEN products to work for you, Google this. I think one of the key things is that silicones are not allowed even the “water soluble" ones that are in WEN products.

And you can use the cheapest products. My hair has never been in better condition. I have color processed hair that is thin and fragile. But no more, and it is as long as it’s ever been. 

Valued Contributor

@Shanus 

Hi 

I don't have curly hair it is  wavy , but I purchased Lorraine's SIlver hair book last year . I realy enjoyed it . It was very informative . I had posted about this book last year, but there were a few who stated that nobody really needs a book to go gray etc, but I think for people who are  transitioning and have questions it is great to get advice from a professional hairdresser  . Thanks again Silver Sister 

Regular Contributor

I recently read her Silver book and found it very intriguing. I never really thought about letting my curly hair go grey, but after reading the book, I now think it is a possibility. Unfortunately, I am currently job searching and I don't need any more reasons for them to think I'm too old, so I will wait until firmly planted in another job before I do that. 

Does anyone have any feedback on going grey; or "silver" as stated in the book??

Honored Contributor

My silver hair has some wave in it but for most pair straight and it is soft and never had a problem with it being dry.  If you have a problem with dry, I would 2 or 3 times a week at bedtime massage argan or marula oil in my scalp and hair and place a towel on your pillow.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I have grey, curly hair and went to the curly girl method years ago.  Wen made my hair fall out, so that went out to the trash right away.  I like the Deva Curl products, but what has worked best is Tweak-d cleansing cream (Dhalto).  My hair is soft, shiny and looks great.  It takes all of 2 minutes to style.