Honored Contributor

COOL SHADOW PALETTES/TRENDS

[ Edited ]

I'm still hunting for cool toned shadow palettes and found two at Clinique counter (All About Shadows Quads): Smoke and Mirrors (shades of light to dark grey) & Going Steady (purples, lilac shades).

Eye shadow seems to be going away from powders and towards creams and sticks. Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown, for example, are phasing out individual powder shadows. They're concentrating on shadow sticks and palettes which, of course cost more. Chanel is still offering quads, but for that much $, I can purchase a Viseart palette  and others with more choices/variety.

Estée Lauder, Lancôme and Clinique and several lines that had great selections in makeup are now concentrating on skincare. That's the trend. Good, clear, bright skin...less makeup. Nothing new to me, but easier to achieve for younger women. There are more sheer foundations, sheer cream blushes and even lip colors are moving away from matte and towards a natural shade patted on with your fingers to slightly smudge the edges, no liner...again, better for younger women. The "LOOK" is natural, no makeup on clear, perfect, flawless skin. What?!?!

Honored Contributor

Re: COOL SHADOW PALETTES/TRENDS

[ Edited ]

@Shanus---I was at Ulta yesterday while DD was having her brows waxed---and what I saw was hideous bright circles of primary colors that reminded me of clown make up---I mean BRIGHT colors----reminded me of rolls of crepe paper-----who wears this stuff??? not sure if it was cremes or powders. I have Urban Decay basics neutral pallet ---about 5 or 6 colors of neutral that I use only----from the lightest to the darkest. And I use a peach blush from Elizabeth Arden--for my shadow--such a great color on me-- Will have it for a long time as I really don't wear much eye/face   make up anymore----I concentrate on skin care and the natural look myself-----I have very clear, bright, smooth skin even at 65--thanks to good genes mostly. Have taken care of my skin since I was in my early teens----a hundred years ago!!!!Man Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I am not impressed with any of the new palettes that I have seen. I actually have been wearing sticks more because they are quick. However, they are not a good price point.

Valued Contributor

Was At NOrdy's last week and looking at Clinique eye shadows, everyone of them had sparkly and I'm just not doing that!  My lids at 60 are very smooth however the glitery/sparkle does a number on my lids, even with a primer!  Plus I noticed the lack of counter space most of the older tried/true lines have now. 

I miss  my large counters maned all the time, with helpful people.  I miss Bobbi pots and sticks - the variety, I know they still have some, but not many.....   Trish NEVER has anyone manning counter, nor Laura.   

Honored Contributor

@Shanus How does the cream blush do when trying on clothes?  I would think it was "greasy".  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

@Shanus---I was at Ulta yesterday while DD was having her brows waxed---and what I saw was hideous bright circles of primary colors that reminded me of clown make up---I mean BRIGHT colors----reminded me of rolls of crepe paper-----who wears this stuff??? not sure if it was cremes or powders. I have Urban Decay basics neutral pallet ---about 5 or 6 colors of neutral that I use only----from the lightest to the darkest. And I use a peach blush from Elizabeth Arden--for my shadow--such a great color on me-- Will have it for a long time as I really don't wear much eye/face   make up anymore----I concentrate on skin care and the natural look myself-----I have very clear, bright, smooth skin even at 65--thanks to good genes mostly. Have taken care of my skin since I was in my early teens----a hundred years ago!!!!Man Very Happy

@wagirl   Lol. Too many makeup lines focus on much younger women who like to experiment w/ brighter shades. There are also a few that are more sheer and might look OK, but not worth purchasing the entire palette and never using the other brights. I think it's a revolt against all the neutral palettes of years before. I have the UD Ultimate Basics Palette...think still available on Amazon. I also tend to use a little of my blush or a bit of my bronzer, since it's so light, on my eyes. 

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

I am not impressed with any of the new palettes that I have seen. I actually have been wearing sticks more because they are quick. However, they are not a good price point.

@Tricolor   Cover Girl has a fairly good dupe for the cream stick shadows.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Shanus How does the cream blush do when trying on clothes?  I would think it was "greasy".  Thanks!

@ECBG   I usually set it with a slight dusting of the same shade of powder blush or translucent setting powder...big fluffy brush & very little product.

Respected Contributor

I like using shadow sticks but they are pricey for the amount of product you get. I did inherit quite a few of the Mally & Belle Beauty ones that were my mom's after she passed. All cool, netural colors too.

I have a small collection of eye pallettes and except for one (Jackie Aina x ABH) they're all cool, neutral shades but hers has some too that look great on brown skin. For pops of color I like purples, greens, rose gold, and cool pink tones. Bright, neon, warm shades apart from purple and green look awful on me, it's like I'm applying for clown college. Woman Very Happy I've always been natural when it comes to makeup. I just can't pull off those crazy intense looks a lot of the online influencers can. 

And I'm glad that cream products are back in especially blushes. I have four cream ones I use a lot. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus  Could it be the Steeletto palette by Marc Jacobs?

F/N/A luvstogarden