Valued Contributor

@Shanus now that I know this, I have a million questions. Woman Happy The first one that comes to mind is how the heck do you pick the right shade foundation. I had 2 color matches in 2 different salons. Both were matches for Jane Iredale because I worry about chemicals in my cosmetics.  But both times I liked it in the salon but when I left it appeared off and too white.

I also want to thank you for your posts, advise and information as well. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Shanus  Since you are our resident expert...are their any brands that you especially like for foundations.  Have you experienced any success with any of the cruelty free brands?

@phoenixbrd  Definitely not an expert, but a lot of experience. Foundations are tricky...have to match shade, formulations, cool, warm, neutral and then price points, fragrance free and sensitivities. I’ve often said that’s why I leave foundations to the pros in the dept. store. If your foundation is wrong, the entire face is “off”. I still use B.B. either her Tinted Moisturizer Balm or Foundation Stick. That line has the largest selection of formulas and if you can’t find an exact match to your exact skintone there...it just does not exist. There are at least 30 to choose from.

I’ve recently tried IT CC Cream Foundation...like it (use FAIR), but too much coverage for me for everyday. Even though a foundation has SPF, I still use one over my moisturizer and before makeup to be sure to get my neck, ears and chest. I know few women who wear makeup down to their bra (😏). 

@Shanus

I'm also in "Fair" in the IT CC cream and find it to be too much coverage too. I really wanted to like it but it just seems to accentuate the texture in some spots and makes my skin look older. For every day, I'm now using a moisturizer, a Japanese sunscreen then a tinted physical sunscreen as my "foundation". 

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

@Shanus, I would never describe you as a know it all! Really enjoy your comments. Nice to know the girls knows what she speaks.Woman Wink Keep up those informative posts. I have high regard for anyone with artistic skills. My expertise definitely does not lie in that area. I did take a Ilustration class in college where we had live models. Well I only took it to broaden my horizons but believe I did not belong there. I don't have an eye for dimension. My poor models looked like ugly birds when I had to define their features on their beautiful faces. Woman Sad

@Tricolor. When I took a class w/ live models, I chose to draw them in quite an abstract manner....received a “C” in the class and had to take it over. So much for self expression!

Honored Contributor

@SandPiper wrote:

@Shanus now that I know this, I have a million questions. Woman Happy The first one that comes to mind is how the heck do you pick the right shade foundation. I had 2 color matches in 2 different salons. Both were matches for Jane Iredale because I worry about chemicals in my cosmetics.  But both times I liked it in the salon but when I left it appeared off and too white.

I also want to thank you for your posts, advise and information as well. 

@SandPiper Sometimes the realization is that one of them was actually a true match. The shade of foundation you were used to wearing may have been wrong for you, but you were used to that color. If you liked the JI, try a 3rd place that sells it...derm offices that have medi spas are your best bet (more training). When in doubt between 2 shades, if over 50, go warmer. Hope that helps.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Shanus  Since you are our resident expert...are their any brands that you especially like for foundations.  Have you experienced any success with any of the cruelty free brands?

@phoenixbrd  Definitely not an expert, but a lot of experience. Foundations are tricky...have to match shade, formulations, cool, warm, neutral and then price points, fragrance free and sensitivities. I’ve often said that’s why I leave foundations to the pros in the dept. store. If your foundation is wrong, the entire face is “off”. I still use B.B. either her Tinted Moisturizer Balm or Foundation Stick. That line has the largest selection of formulas and if you can’t find an exact match to your exact skintone there...it just does not exist. There are at least 30 to choose from.

I’ve recently tried IT CC Cream Foundation...like it (use FAIR), but too much coverage for me for everyday. Even though a foundation has SPF, I still use one over my moisturizer and before makeup to be sure to get my neck, ears and chest. I know few women who wear makeup down to their bra (😏). 

@Shanus

I'm also in "Fair" in the IT CC cream and find it to be too much coverage too. I really wanted to like it but it just seems to accentuate the texture in some spots and makes my skin look older. For every day, I'm now using a moisturizer, a Japanese sunscreen then a tinted physical sunscreen as my "foundation". 

@Texasmouse  The only way I can make IT look natural and lighter weight for me? Wet the brush. I put a drop or 2 of foundation on back of my hand and dip my brush in water before swirling it in the CC cream to thin it out. It then goes on more like a Tinted Moisturizer. In the spots you need more coverage, go back w/ concealer or the foundation w/o water. 😄

Honored Contributor

TSV IT 1.13.17 Heard new foundation with skin care.

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

TSV IT 1.13.17 Heard new foundation with skin care.

@Sweet_Serenity  We’ll check it out together.

Honored Contributor

Many questions about foundation....I’ve never met a drugstore foundation that I love. They’re usually packaged w/o testers so not only can shades not be seen on your skin or how about texture? Also the bright lighting changes the integrity of the product.

Don’t fall for higher the price the better the foundation. In dept. stores, Tom Ford, Armani and Chanel are great, but so much money. There are others that will be a perfect match w/o mortgaging your house. I always asked if the customer had a price point (Foundation is most expensive makeup item) they’re comfortable with. Most preferred the middle range. That led me to Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Laura Mercier, Nars, Urban Decay, and a few others. There are more choices today.

Except for the IT CC Cream which I happened upon & like because of the shade....don’t give a fig about the added serums, moisturizers, SPF, primers, color correctors, etc. I use my own regardless. Find a foundation without a lot of bells and whistles. Forget the pore reducing, blurring, fading, skincare properties. It’s mostly hype and skincare is such a personal thing. If you find skincare that works for you, wonderful. Use that. Your purpose for a foundation is shade match, texture, formula (powder, liquid, cream, Tinted Moisturizer) and the amount of coverage. Primers, spf and any other additional properties cloud the issue. 

Go for the formula w/ the lightest coverage you feel comfortable with. Spots and darker areas can be covered w/ a matching concealer....not the shade lighter one you use under your eyes. Check out Laura Mercier Secret Cam. for this...2 shades of concealer to blend. 

Hope I’ve answered some questions. My motto has always been: Get the foundation correct, and the rest of your makeup is so easy! Get the wrong match or formula and no lipstick or shadow can correct it. 

🌺

Shanus

Respected Contributor

@Shanus

I haven't tried a damp beauty blender sponge with it but that might work too? (Same concept, maybe)

Frequent Contributor

@Shanus EYEBROWS! What have you to say about eyebrows - pencils, powders etc! I used to use Laura Geller's Tri Tip Marker however they seemed to dry up after a few uses. Now I'm at a loss for a product that will look natural and stay on all day!!