Honored Contributor

To anyone thinking I come off knowing way too much about makeup/skincare, I may have failed to mention along the way that I was a makeup artist for many years. 

I floated among all brands in many large department stores. More fun than you can ever imagine....way before YouTube days, so no outside influences and everyone was thirsty for new looks and techniques.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus

Aren't you also a jewelry designer?

What I've found, is that if you are an artist in one area, you are an artist across the board!

I know you like Trish things, and I haven't tried any of her things, simply because I don't use most makeup. I would try, however, on your recommendation!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  Since you are our resident expert...are their any brands that you especially like for foundations.  Have you experienced any success with any of the cruelty free brands?

Valued Contributor

@Shanus I never thought you knew too much at all (hope you know what I mean here).  I just appreciate any advice or tips and enjoy your viewpoint on subjects.  I think it would be fun to be a make up artist.

Honored Contributor

Shanus...

I enjoy reading your thoughts and experiences. 

Last year turned 59 allergenic reactions talc parabens and fragrance. Happy Healthy New Year.❣

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@Shanus

Aren't you also a jewelry designer?

What I've found, is that if you are an artist in one area, you are an artist across the board!

I know you like Trish things, and I haven't tried any of her things, simply because I don't use most makeup. I would try, however, on your recommendation!

@Harpa  You’re correct, an artist is an artist. I’ve designed and fabricated jewelry for almost 30 yrs. I also dabble in interior design and paint in watercolors, pastels and other media. It also carries over to my joy of cooking, being creative, not using a cookbook or combining 3 recipes. 

Trish McEvoy: As mentioned somewhere in the Bobbi Brown thread, I was attracted more by the planner system than her cosmetics. I travel often (at least a week each month to see my 90 yr. old Mom). The planner is packed, organized, complete w/ brushes, liners, etc. & ready to go. I have depotted some of my own powder shadows to substitute hers (too much glitter) and added my concealers and foundations of choice in the removable pouch in the back of the planner. The pluses of Trish? Her brushes are some of the best and her 8 steps of makeup application (see her tutorials on her site or YouTube) takes 5 minutes even using your own products. 

I personally find her cosmetics and skincare over priced for what you get compared to other lines.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Shanus  Since you are our resident expert...are their any brands that you especially like for foundations.  Have you experienced any success with any of the cruelty free brands?

@phoenixbrd  Definitely not an expert, but a lot of experience. Foundations are tricky...have to match shade, formulations, cool, warm, neutral and then price points, fragrance free and sensitivities. I’ve often said that’s why I leave foundations to the pros in the dept. store. If your foundation is wrong, the entire face is “off”. I still use B.B. either her Tinted Moisturizer Balm or Foundation Stick. That line has the largest selection of formulas and if you can’t find an exact match to your exact skintone there...it just does not exist. There are at least 30 to choose from.

I’ve recently tried IT CC Cream Foundation...like it (use FAIR), but too much coverage for me for everyday. Even though a foundation has SPF, I still use one over my moisturizer and before makeup to be sure to get my neck, ears and chest. I know few women who wear makeup down to their bra (😏). 

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

Shanus...

Last year turned 59 allergenic reactions talc parabens and fragrance. Happy Healthy New Year.❣

@Sweet_Serenity Thank you. Have you tried Jane Iredale?....Very natural and many irritants left out that are in most natural, mineral makeups.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

Shanus...

@Sweet_Serenity Thank you. Have you tried Jane Iredale?....Very natural and many irritants left out that are in most natural, mineral makeups.

Happy New Year to you, too.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus, I would never describe you as a know it all! Really enjoy your comments. Nice to know the girls knows what she speaks.Woman Wink Keep up those informative posts. I have high regard for anyone with artistic skills. My expertise definitely does not lie in that area. I did take a Ilustration class in college where we had live models. Well I only took it to broaden my horizons but believe I did not belong there. I don't have an eye for dimension. My poor models looked like ugly birds when I had to define their features on their beautiful faces. Woman Sad