Honored Contributor

A word about skincare: I save small bottles, sample sizes of my products & transfer my products into those....all but Vit. C serum which should remain in the original dark, dropper bottle (don’t let dropper touch your hand or face...product gets contaminated & will turn yellow twice as quickly). I keep the original jars in a cool dark place...free from constant dipping like on Q 😝 and use what’s in my small containers.

When taking products out of jars to apply, I use a pkg. of sm. spatulas or popsicle sticks (found mine at Michael’s), but anything similar will do. Clean spatula, stick or even spoon handle for each dip. 

Clarisonic is for cleaning pores, not for removing makeup. Take makeup off first and use a cleanser to deep clean pores after makeup is off. Why use a bristle brush to grind makeup into your pores? Never understood those demos.

Perfume on wrists, hairbrush or other areas NOT on our necks. High alcohol contact leads to dry skin and irritation.

Will add to HINTS as I think of them. Ignore those that say to you, “What is she thinking?” OR  “Doesn’t apply to me”.

Honored Contributor

@Gramy24 wrote:

@Shanus EYEBROWS! What have you to say about eyebrows - pencils, powders etc! I used to use Laura Geller's Tri Tip Marker however they seemed to dry up after a few uses. Now I'm at a loss for a product that will look natural and stay on all day!!

@Gramy24  I’m lucky to have thick (almost bushy) brows, but have lost some hair on my tails (😂). I fill in w/ IT Universal Eyebrow Pencil. It’s more difficult to choose the correct shade than which product. This pencil is all shades depending how hard you press down. I then use the spooly end to brush up and over blending in the pencil. If any areas need more, I check my eyeshadows for a color 1 shade lighter than brow hair and lightly stroke that in where needed.

I set it w/ a soft baby’s toothbrush & hairspray or hair gel. Those special brow gels are way too much $ for the same outcome. Remember: brows should not be completely filled in to look natural, you should see some skin peeking through. If they look like you used a Sharpie marker, start over.

Valued Contributor

@Shanus Your reply definitely did help. Thanks so much. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

SIDE NOTE: Do not allow anyone to do your makeup at dept. store counter or Sephora, etc. without spraying brushes w/ alcohol, using a clean wand in the mascara and a new (unused) makeup sponge (they’re only $3 for a bag full of latex- free ones at Sally’s). Lipsticks can be wiped clean w/ an alcohol soaked cotton ball. Artists’ hands should be thoroughly cleaned w/ hand sanitizer before touching your face & eyes. 

I’m cringing at reports of staph and other infections from Sephora and others. It’s your right as a consumer to be proactive and be aware of these issues....call them on it. If you don’t see a brush being cleaned in front of you, assume it’s already been used on someone else...maybe coming down with “pink eye” or much worse.

Keep in mind the mani/pedi salon. If the instruments are already lying out on the towel when I arrive, I head for the door. I demand a fresh box straight from the heated sanitizer. 

Honored Contributor

Not quite sure why any "confession" was even necessary here, but I hope it makes you feel better. 

Frequent Contributor

@Shanus  THANK YOU!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Not quite sure why any "confession" was even necessary here, but I hope it makes you feel better. 

@Tinkrbl44 😠

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Also not quite sure why you needed to pop up with a negative comment. Oh well.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Also not quite sure why you needed to pop up with a negative comment. Oh well.

@Shanus

Negative?   Well, I read the attention-getting thread title, and then read your OP three times, wondering just what exactly are you confessing to ......   a job you had many years ago?   Um, okay.   

Honored Contributor

@Shanus, while our @Tinkrbl44 may be a bit blunt sometimes, I think I understand her point.

I think it's cool that you had been a makeup artist and that you love all things beauty. But I would be very careful about setting yourself up as an expert on skincare (or even cosmetics, to some degree).to the point at which posters take your opinion as the gospel truth. That's a lot to live up to. :-)

Personally, if I have a question about a skin problem or a product or ingredient, I listen to others here but always verify on my own by searching for any credible, scientific information if available.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland