Honored Contributor

COMPLEXION ISSUES FROM WEARING MASKS

I've been getting calls from clients experiencing issues with their skin since wearing masks. I'm having some, too: dry skin, chapped lips, spf coming off when remove mask & then sunburn, itching & redness, etc. 

I've recommended and following these suggestions myself: 1. Temporarily stop or taper off to less use of Retin A. 2. No or less exfoliating 3. Be careful w/ products containing acids ( I discontinued my acid peel pads) 4. When home and not wearing mask, take advantage of time to wear extra hydrating moisturizer or organic shea butter...lips, too. 5. Lip balm or Aquafor or similar on lips under mask 6. I'm keeping my mask on until I get home so spf is not wiped off. 

Anyone else having issues or questions? 

Honored Contributor

Re: COMPLEXION ISSUES FROM WEARING MASKS

We've been wearing masks in NYC since March.  The only ones I've worn are those I made myself - all pre-washed 100% cotton.  

I (lightly) manually exfoliate every day ((Soap and Water and bath gloves). and wear Avon's Dramatic Frming Cream every day, and Avon Cream to Powder foundation everyday.  I use colored lip gloss everyday.

Absolutely no issues whatsoever.  

------------------------------------------------

The only complaint I'm aware of is from one of my friends who is seriously  hearing-impaired and reads lips.  

Respected Contributor

Yesterday was the first time I went to Costco since the pandemic.  I entered the store with my mask OFF, but I was asked to put it on.  I put it on and kept it on throughout the store.  I got overheated and took it off immediately upon exiting the store.  But it was quite warm out yesterday and I stayed overheated even after arriving home... air conditioning in my car as well as my home.  In fact, I didn't feel well and went to bed when I got home.  I hope I can stay out of stores until the mask wearing is over.  I really felt awful.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

Yesterday was the first time I went to Costco since the pandemic.  I entered the store with my mask OFF, but I was asked to put it on.  I put it on and kept it on throughout the store.  I got overheated and took it off immediately upon exiting the store.  But it was quite warm out yesterday and I stayed overheated even after arriving home... air conditioning in my car as well as my home.  In fact, I didn't feel well and went to bed when I got home.  I hope I can stay out of stores until the mask wearing is over.  I really felt awful.

@spent2much  In NC masks became mandatory as of 5PM yesterday anytime we're out among people. Stores, restaurants (many closed again) who don't enforce this will face a steep fine and closure of business. Some of the discomfort w/ masks, besides heat, is breathing in air we're breathing out...CO2. Light headedness can occur.

Sorry you're having these problems since masks seem to be a part of life for quite some time. I also have difficulty in the heat when masked and try to limit my time out to early morning or after dinner. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   What kind of masks? What are they made of?

Frequent Contributor

I dont like wearing a mask but i dont want a respirator,  I DONT WANT TO GO IN QUARTINE AGAIN! !Ha Ha!!

Esteemed Contributor

No issues for me, but I don't get out much.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@spent2much wrote:

@spent2much  In NC masks became mandatory as of 5PM yesterday anytime we're out among people. Stores, restaurants (many closed again) who don't enforce this will face a steep fine and closure of business. Some of the discomfort w/ masks, besides heat, is breathing in air we're breathing out...CO2. Light headedness can occur.

Sorry you're having these problems since masks seem to be a part of life for quite some time. I also have difficulty in the heat when masked and try to limit my time out to early morning or after dinner. 

@Shanus, if someone is feeling lightheaded from wearing a mask, it's more likely something like anxiety. There are no worries about breathing in CO2/

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I only wear a mask (paper) when I go shopping.  I pull up in the parking lot then add the mask.  I'm only in the store for a short while.  Then take it off when I get back to the car and it's only once or twice a week.

I have gone out to outdoor dining (2x so far) and when I arrive I'll wear a mask and take it off once seated.

I feel for those who must wear one for many hours a day at work.

Super Contributor

You are right on!  Masks are a pain, but they keep us much safer.  A previous responder said she manages to take her outings in the earlier or later part of the day when it isn’t so hot.  If we commit ourselves to taking caring of, and respecting each other, we can figure this out and do it.  It’s heartbreaking to see the incredible strain that we put on our health care workers when the numbers go up.  We don’t want to do that to them or ourselves.  Wear a mask and keep your community healthy.