Regular Contributor

Re: CLOSEUPS ON NEW TV....OMG!!

@IamMrsG wrote:

HiDef might serve to show there's no such thing as the perfection they've been pedalling, that it's been smoke and mirrors all along.

I actually think this is a good thing for the new generation to see.  In the end while looking good can make us feel better, nobody is perfect, no matter how much money in skincare, dermatological treatments and plastic surgeries we spend.  

When I was growing up I thought the models in the magazines got there because they were almost perfect.  Little did I know all the tricks they did as models and the tricks the editors had up their sleeves to make them look like that.  It was very sad for me as a teenager to live because I thought I had to be pretty to get everything and the truth is not everybody is pretty, much less naturally pretty, and that is okay.  

It is our brains, hard work and good heart that matter.  Looking good or trying to is fine too without getting obsessed to look young (when we are not) or perfect (cause nobody is and will never be).

Honored Contributor

A few days ago my favorite weather person had on a white see-through dress. Everything showed and I mean everything. HD can really be irritating.

It surprised me that she had the same dress on for the evening news and no one told her to change out her dress...

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

The size of the screen doesn't even matter.  We have a large screen in the family room, smaller in the office.  We can get QVC on a couple of channels, what I'll call "regular" and high definition.  The high def doesn't do anyone any favors.  Whew!!!  

Everyone has wide hips, and I imagine some of them do. But no one looks good on these big screens.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

A few days ago my favorite weather person had on a white see-through dress. Everything showed and I mean everything. HD can really be irritating.

It surprised me that she had the same dress on for the evening news and no one told her to change out her dress...

@Trinity11   Or wear a slip underneath it.  

Esteemed Contributor

All our TVs are still old style.  No HD or anything.  Until that's all that is available, I'll stick with the lesser definition.

Have no desire to see the world clearly, let alone makeup application.

I've stopped looking in mirrors unless it's a quick pass.

I'm happier Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we are standing in front of each other, we tend to not see every single pore, strand of facial hair, etc.

How many of us have been shocked, horrified, when we look in to a 12X mirror, and saw chin hairs that we didn't know were there?

Same hold true for people in front of the camera.

If you were to be in the studio and saw that person five seconds before they went on air, your eye would tell you that they looked fine.

It's the television that accentuates every "flaw", much the same way that 12x mirror does.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

The size of the screen doesn't even matter.  We have a large screen in the family room, smaller in the office.  We can get QVC on a couple of channels, what I'll call "regular" and high definition.  The high def doesn't do anyone any favors.  Whew!!!  

Everyone has wide hips, and I imagine some of them do. But no one looks good on these big screens.

Okay, RE: hips, I have to say .... at Jill Bauer's farewell event, at one point Jane Tracey was standing next to her.  I don't know what size these ladies claim to be, but Jane looked way wider than Jill in the hip area.  They could both be smaller than I think, and they probably are, but if Jane says she is a small on bottom, I do not believe that she is just two sizes bigger than the skinny models.  Just sayin... don't blast me.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Valued Contributor

I watch everything I can in standard definition - mainly because SD takes up less DVR space but also because I find the giant pores distracting.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus What size TV?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   This is kind of humorous. I must say some of these hosts look that bad on my smaller tv too!!!  Just way too much layered on akeup - like layered on clothing