Honored Contributor

Re: CHANGING HAIRSTYLISTS TODAY!

I go to the same salon and have been getting whoever is available to cut my hair.  My hairstyle is a very easy cut - a bob with long layers.  I can't say I've ever had a bad cut.

Respected Contributor

I recently changed hairdressers.  I was thinking about it for a long time.  Followed her from salon to salon.  The place she's at now is an ownership place.  I don't know what else to call it. You buy a space in this large building that is all hair dressers, make up artists, nail salon, etc.....She took down the wall of her space and shares it with her best friend, another hair dresser.  I never knew how to tip once she went there.  I still tipped her, generously, but at the same time questioned it because, technically, she's an owner.  Anyway, wasn't happy with the way my cuts were coming out.  I was usually pleased with the color but my grey/white hair would start showing in 12 days.  I now go to someone else and my cuts are better and my color lasts longer.  

Esteemed Contributor

@BarbiHollywood Yay!  It's always fun going to a new stylist.  I'm glad you liked her.  

Mine does the same with posting pics of cuts and color of clients on instagram.  My previous stylist told me they had somebody come in to the salon to give a class on social media and getting the pics and hashtags out therre.  That is their advertising now.  It is huge for business.

My current gal usually posts befores and afters if there is a big change or to show the highlights/color etc.  She has never posted my pic but has posted DD's  before and after.  

Honored Contributor

I stay with mine mostly because she gives great perms.  I just can't chance changing that.  I can't say I love the cut, but it could just be my hair.  I color my own.  

Esteemed Contributor

All I want is a "working" relationship w/ my stylist, whom I don't seem to have these days. They get to yapping and then don't concentrate on what they're doing.

If we talk, I want to talk about hair care, why a certain technique of cut will work; why it won't, etc.

Other than that, why even call them stylist?

But I've had to fix many & many a cut.

I'm on the hunt for someone, and I'd stick with them, too, if they gave me consistent good cuts! (And didn't get too personal!)

Honored Contributor

@BarbiHollywood 

Good on ya'!  I did that several years ago with a hairdresser who thought his poop didn't stink because he is French & was trained in Paris.  His cuts were good, but the color line he used on me just didn't last in my hair, not to mention that lines reds were not vibrant at all.  I stayed with him for a few years until I could no longer take his "I'm the best in the Pacific" attitude & paying $200 for it.  I finally dropped him like a bad habit & never looked back.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy I was also very unsure about the whole tipping thing.  My now "former" stylist worked totally alone.  No receptionist or anything.  So any money that she charged went straight to her so I didn't think a tip was necessary.  I think it's a very awkward position for a client to be in.  Most of the time I paid by credit card so when she flipped that little screen over to the "Would You Like To Add A Tip" screen, I felt like I couldn't hit the "No" button.  So I tipped in cash and regretted it.  This same former stylist recently posted on her page that her prices would be increasing in January due to the increase in costs of supplies.  That was part of the reason why I walked away - if she buys shampoos and stuff by the gallon, use a smidge less on each customer!  LOL.  Years ago, I followed a stylist from a full service salon to her own space.  I recall asking her, point blank, "...so now that you're your own boss, do I need to tip you?"  Her reply was, "That's up to you."   Again, awkward.  

Respected Contributor

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@ScrapHappy I was also very unsure about the whole tipping thing.  My now "former" stylist worked totally alone.  No receptionist or anything.  So any money that she charged went straight to her so I didn't think a tip was necessary.  I think it's a very awkward position for a client to be in.  Most of the time I paid by credit card so when she flipped that little screen over to the "Would You Like To Add A Tip" screen, I felt like I couldn't hit the "No" button.  So I tipped in cash and regretted it.  This same former stylist recently posted on her page that her prices would be increasing in January due to the increase in costs of supplies.  That was part of the reason why I walked away - if she buys shampoos and stuff by the gallon, use a smidge less on each customer!  LOL.  Years ago, I followed a stylist from a full service salon to her own space.  I recall asking her, point blank, "...so now that you're your own boss, do I need to tip you?"  Her reply was, "That's up to you."   Again, awkward.  

The hairdresser I left isn't in a free standing salon like in a strip mall.  The place is called The Phenix (technically: The Suites at Phenix).  She rents a spot, a room.  Her and another stylist that she's known for years and been togther for years, they are like sisters.  So, she's paying 1/2 the rent right?  But it's her salon (their salon).  She said it's something she's always wanted to do..."own her own salon."  It has the basics in there, it's small.  Two chairs, wash bowl and small sitting spot with 2 chairs and a table with supplies.  I would always pay by check.  Everyone else I noticed paid by credit card using the credit card app on their Iphones. I wanted to ask if I should continue to tip but I just couldn't get the words out.  

Honored Contributor

Gosh It's hard to change stylists! I loved my last gal (or so I thought). She got married last year and moved out of state. I just happened to try a stylist in my small town and LOVE her! I thought my last stylist did my hair so perfect but this gal does it even better! And she's very affordable. Win -  win! Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

It's just me back on this same forum.  Same issue, different year!!!  Here's the latest if you want me to bore you for a minute or two!  Jump in with suggestions!

I'm very tired of not getting what I would consider to be a great cut.  I have short-ish hair (think Lisa Rinna length/style, I guess).  The gal I have been going to and I have become friends, but her work is fair.  I go in with pictures and we talk at length, but I never seem to get what I want.  What I do like is that she gives me a huge discount if the boss isn't there.  Probably not the wisest thing for her to do, but I tip her well for doing it.  NEVER leave the salon with my hair dried the way I like it.  NEVER EVER.  So I decided to switch salons.  Went elsewhere the other day, got great color (roots, more subtle, natural highlights), but no cut.  The salon is nice, convenient, stylist is very friendly.  But when I paid my tab, I almost fell over.  It was $160 for the coloring, $55 for toner, $37 TO DRY MY HAIR.  Again, my hair was styled in a way that I didn't come in looking -- all dried under, all around my head, looked like I had a hard wig on.  Horrible.  When I got out the car, I thought, those prices are insane and I'm not going back.  

I'm no hair expert, but why is a toner needed?  Is it to somehow correct the color??  And why charge for a blowdry??  I was not offered to leave wet or notified about the fee.  Thirty seven dollars to dry hair after you just had color???  

I feel like I'm losing my mind when it comes to getting a nice cut and style without breaking the bank. 

So now I'm on the hunt again.  (Heavy sigh)