Respected Contributor

Re: CHANGING HAIRSTYLISTS TODAY!

@Hoovermom , yes, I'm going to do my best with my daughter.   I've actually given her a healthy check sometimes, but she doesn't like taking it.  She's a great daughter, my angel 😇. 

I'm good at trimming my own hair too, so I can get away with that every now and then.

Respected Contributor

@BarbiHollywood , glad you switched and hope you're satisfied!   

Trusted Contributor

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

I'm doin' it!  Today's the day!!  I've been less-than-happy lately with my hairstylist whom I followed from a busy salon to her own little space.  No other employee, just her, her chair, and a sink.  I don't have long, perfect hair --- my hair is on the shorter side, not quite what I'd call medium length, and it's curly but not worn that way.  I have not gotten the "full service" that she offers to those with long hair.  I was getting the root color, cut, and dry.  Those with long hair were getting the color with amazing highlights and full styling with all assorted tools then pix posted on her FB page.  It's *not* about having my pic posted on FB, let me be clear!!  It's more about how she wasn't spending time on my hairstyle.  If I asked for a few foils on a few random ends, she'd say, "not today."  I was paying good money and walking out the door not satisfied.  So yesterday I said things were gonna change!  I stopped into a great local salon that has wonderful reviews, met with the stylist, chatted at length, and she happened to have an opening for this morning at 11:00.  So I jumped on it and am very excited.  I feel good about making the decision to change.  Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!!  

You described my situation almost exactly! I had not been happy for months and let her know my concerns.  I would ask her for recommendations and she'd tell me to find a hairstyle she could copy.  She would do a root touchup and refused to draw the color  through at the end, telling me it's "too dangerous."  

Why did I stay?  I'm going to get bashed for this, but we had become friendly and I felt terrible.  I haven't been feeling well this last year and the stress of breaking up was too much.  I finally did it and am very happy with my new stylist.  He makes suggestions, made my hair all one color again and gives me a nice cut.

GOOD LUCK!

Esteemed Contributor

Good for you @BarbiHollywood .  Sometimes you just have to make the move.  I had the same stylist for many years and wasn't always thrilled with my service either.  It seemed everytime I went in (and I was a regular) the price was bit higher.  Now I understand all that's been going on and I have no problem paying for "good" service.  Finally when we downsized and moved 45 minutes away, that was my opportunity to change.  My niece manages a Super Cuts in MA so I finally started going to her.  I lived too far from her before, now the drive is much shorter.  I do not get a discount but it is much less expensive and she also told me I was coloring too often.   So now I save even more $$.

I love how she does my hair, and she does  my DH too.

Wish I would have been able to  make that move long ago.   Also my old stylist is always sending me "I miss you" messages with coupons......yeah right, I was never offered coupons for all the years I was a client.  Good luck, hope it all works out well for you!

Honored Contributor

@BarbiHollywood 

Good for you!  That is a tough decision to make (at least for me it is).  Let us know how it goes Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I change stylists every few months.  I get a haircut every 4 weeks.  The first time with a new stylist with a picture might be good but the next time not so much.  I went to one and she cut it very short but it was a great cut and it looked good for 7 weeks.   Then I went back and it is a weird shape and not even.  I cannot find consistency.  The few I have found through my 50 years of adult cuts that were great usually moved or left the profession.  It is so hard to find a good stylist.  Sounds like I am picky but I am not really.  All I want is it to be evenly cut and a little texturing to give it some body.  I cut my own during the pandemic for over a year and some of my cuts were okay and some not.  My trouble was that I did not know when to stop.  However with most cuts I pay for I have to come home and get out the scissors and fix them.

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

I'm doin' it!  Today's the day!!  I've been less-than-happy lately with my hairstylist whom I followed from a busy salon to her own little space.  No other employee, just her, her chair, and a sink.  I don't have long, perfect hair --- my hair is on the shorter side, not quite what I'd call medium length, and it's curly but not worn that way.  I have not gotten the "full service" that she offers to those with long hair.  I was getting the root color, cut, and dry.  Those with long hair were getting the color with amazing highlights and full styling with all assorted tools then pix posted on her FB page.  It's *not* about having my pic posted on FB, let me be clear!!  It's more about how she wasn't spending time on my hairstyle.  If I asked for a few foils on a few random ends, she'd say, "not today."  I was paying good money and walking out the door not satisfied.  So yesterday I said things were gonna change!  I stopped into a great local salon that has wonderful reviews, met with the stylist, chatted at length, and she happened to have an opening for this morning at 11:00.  So I jumped on it and am very excited.  I feel good about making the decision to change.  Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!!  

You described my situation almost exactly! I had not been happy for months and let her know my concerns.  I would ask her for recommendations and she'd tell me to find a hairstyle she could copy.  She would do a root touchup and refused to draw the color  through at the end, telling me it's "too dangerous."  

Why did I stay?  I'm going to get bashed for this, but we had become friendly and I felt terrible.  I haven't been feeling well this last year and the stress of breaking up was too much.  I finally did it and am very happy with my new stylist.  He makes suggestions, made my hair all one color again and gives me a nice cut.

GOOD LUCK!

@PilatesLover   Yup.  My story exactly.  From the very first appointment, she sent me the awkward FB Friend Request.  I hesitated then thought, wow, how do I crawl outta this one?  Now I wonder if it's just for her to watch and see if I "Like" or go anywhere else.  I sound paranoid.  I'm a very loyal client if service is good.  I've been with the same nail tech for years, followed her from place to place, and will continue unless she moves too far away.  Hairdressers here are all over the place, but some are in those stand-alone suites so you really don't know who they are unless you know someone who goes and unless you find someone who has a nice cut/style and go where they go.  My appt yesterday went very well and I've made my next appt too. 

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@BarbiHollywood 

Good for you!  That is a tough decision to make (at least for me it is).  Let us know how it goes Smiley Happy

@monicakm Thanks!  The appt yesterday went well!  Very nice woman, very nice salon, prices not too out of line.  Very happy and already made my next appt.  I'm glad I made the move.  I felt like I was just throwing money out the window and hating myself for it.  I have a big mouth for a lot of things, but it's just weird when it comes to your hairdresser!!  At some point I will UnFriend her on FB so she can't see what I post in case I Like the new salon's page or something.  

Respected Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I change stylists every few months.  I get a haircut every 4 weeks.  The first time with a new stylist with a picture might be good but the next time not so much.  I went to one and she cut it very short but it was a great cut and it looked good for 7 weeks.   Then I went back and it is a weird shape and not even.  I cannot find consistency.  The few I have found through my 50 years of adult cuts that were great usually moved or left the profession.  It is so hard to find a good stylist.  Sounds like I am picky but I am not really.  All I want is it to be evenly cut and a little texturing to give it some body.  I cut my own during the pandemic for over a year and some of my cuts were okay and some not.  My trouble was that I did not know when to stop.  However with most cuts I pay for I have to come home and get out the scissors and fix them.

@chiclet You change every few MONTHS to a new stylist or to a new place?  I envy you.  I'm loyal if the service is good, yet even when I started to think the service was lacking, I still booked appointments because it was just easier.  The old "next-time-will-be-better."  True story - I showed her (the stylist I just left) a few photos of a cut that I really liked and wanted her to do - did I get that cut?? - NOPE.  Later that day, she had posted a picture OF THE LADY WHO HAD THE APPOINTMENT AFTER ME WITH "MY" CUT!!!!  I didn't get it, but she did!  That was actually what made me focus on finding a new place.  

Honored Contributor

@BarbiHollywood 

We've probably all been there.  I'm glad you like your new haircut Smiley Happy