Honored Contributor

Re: CHANGING HAIRSTYLISTS TODAY!

@BarbiHollywood   I'm fairly sure a toner is used on bleached highlights to bring down the brassiness. 

Price? Outrageous, but many salons are charging what people are willing to pay. I think you may need to find a third salon...maybe a fourth and find the color, cut and price that suits you.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

It's just me back on this same forum.  Same issue, different year!!!  Here's the latest if you want me to bore you for a minute or two!  Jump in with suggestions!

I'm very tired of not getting what I would consider to be a great cut.  I have short-ish hair (think Lisa Rinna length/style, I guess).  The gal I have been going to and I have become friends, but her work is fair.  I go in with pictures and we talk at length, but I never seem to get what I want.  What I do like is that she gives me a huge discount if the boss isn't there.  Probably not the wisest thing for her to do, but I tip her well for doing it.  NEVER leave the salon with my hair dried the way I like it.  NEVER EVER.  So I decided to switch salons.  Went elsewhere the other day, got great color (roots, more subtle, natural highlights), but no cut.  The salon is nice, convenient, stylist is very friendly.  But when I paid my tab, I almost fell over.  It was $160 for the coloring, $55 for toner, $37 TO DRY MY HAIR.  Again, my hair was styled in a way that I didn't come in looking -- all dried under, all around my head, looked like I had a hard wig on.  Horrible.  When I got out the car, I thought, those prices are insane and I'm not going back.  

I'm no hair expert, but why is a toner needed?  Is it to somehow correct the color??  And why charge for a blowdry??  I was not offered to leave wet or notified about the fee.  Thirty seven dollars to dry hair after you just had color???  

I feel like I'm losing my mind when it comes to getting a nice cut and style without breaking the bank. 

So now I'm on the hunt again.  (Heavy sigh)

First of all, SHAME on the stylist for discounting your service!  She KNOWS she's doing wrong if she only does it when the boss isn't around, and YOU ARE COMPLICIT in it. You're tipping her well so she still makes out like a bandit (who likely isn't reporting all her tips on her income tax return) while she shortchanges the boss.  You are also STEALING from her boss AND THE SALON, in the process.  

As the mother of a professional master colorist and hairstylist, this kind of post really rubs me the wrong way.  You are are paying for a service by someone who has been professionally educated and trained, who has had to meet state requirements and pass a state licensing exam. His/her education wasn't free and their years of experience should afford them a rate that's commensurate with it, not to mention they are on their feet all day, endure backache, sore feet, aching shoulders, exposed to any virus that comes through the door. etc.  Most good stylist will alter their schedules in order to accommodate their clients, coming in early or staying later. This job is their livelihood that they are supporting their lives and families on.  It's annoying when the public has such lack of respect for their talent and expects them to work for minimum wage.  

If you keep having a problem with the end result, maybe it's your expectations that aren't realistic or maybe your aren't effectively communicating what you want.  Not all hair can be styled in any way we want.  Coarse hair, fine hair, thin hair, thick hair, etc. - it makes a difference.

Toners are usually part of the coloring process because you can't just throw dye or bleach on and call it a day.  They don't correct the color (that would entail another color service), they are needed to neutralize brassiness or enhance the warmer colors.  If you didn't get toned, you probably would have been unhappy with your color service too.

Ugh. 

Super Contributor

I recently switched my hairstylist because I wasn't happy with my hair.   I ended up going to the Hair Cuttery which is a national chain in my area.  I  checked out the prices on their website for all the services they offer and then I read customer reviews about the hairstylists.  I ended up getting my haircut and styled and I am very happy with my haircut.   I felt like the hairstylist listened to me.  Before she started cutting I explained that I was trying to grow out the layers of my hair and what was bothering me  about my current hairstyle. Good luck with finding a new hairstylist!