Honored Contributor

Brush or foam applicator to put on your powder eye shadow? Why?

Don't give me a brush!  I'll have it all under my eyes!

With big eyeshadow sets, if there's a lot of colors, I have applicators everywhere!  Can't win!  Grrr...............

Respected Contributor

Re: Brush or foam applicator to put on your powder eye shadow? Why?

I say go with what gives you the result that you want. Brush, sponge, fingers. If there is a lot of fallout under your eyes from shadow you may need to use a primer for the shadow to grab onto, or try another brand of shadow that isn't as powdery. I use mostly brushes, but I will work with whatever I have.

Esteemed Contributor

Brush. Always.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Don't give me a brush!  I'll have it all under my eyes!

With big eyeshadow sets, if there's a lot of colors, I have applicators everywhere!  Can't win!  Grrr...............

I use a cotton swab and just toss when done; so much easier.

Trusted Contributor

I mostly use applicators even though brushes are the more professional approach. I do have a few shadows like the Urban Decay ones that I use a brush with. I have the brushes, just not too proficient with them. One thing I've noticed is many younger girls and women with beautifully done eyes-must be all the Youtube tutorials.

Honored Contributor

Eventually foam applicators will fall apart so I do like the use of a brush. The use of primer helps adhere the shadow to the lid/brow areas.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I used to always use the foam applicators that came with eyeshadows at the drugstore when I was younger but I never use them anymore- I LOVE brushes to apply powder eye shadows. I use a more flat but denser brush to press powder into the lid and a denser, narrow one for the crease area then a bigger, fluffier blush for all over blending. Brushes the way to go. Primer also helps keep powder shadows in place. I think shadow primer is one of the best makeup inventions, lol.

Respected Contributor

I agree about a primer! I use MAC painterly paint pot and recently bought MAC's 24 hour eye extend base and I really like it. I know for me as I get older I have to use primer. Whoever invented or came up with the idea of primer was a makeup genius for sure!!

Trusted Contributor

Always a brush!  The foam applicators apply eye shadow unevenly, drag and don't allow for the kind of eyeshadow placement I want.

Respected Contributor

Brushes, always...don't like the feel of those foam applicators, though I did use them years ago (before I discovered brushes!).

Re: "fallout"--I find that if I start applying my base color about 1/3 away from my inner corner, and then blend forward, it avoids most of that. I don't "brush", either...I put the brush down on the lid, then drag it. Primer also helps.

I also don't change brushes for every color. I just brush any excess off on a clean washcloth and go on to the next color. I use the cloth for a couple days--changing sides--then throw it in the laundry.