Honored Contributor

Microneedling is another way to reduce hyperpigmentation, including dark spots. This method will even out skin tone by inducing cellular production and in time the newer cells will eventually crowd out the older melanin-ridden cells to give a more even appearance to the skin while collagen is also being formed. Skin becomes firm and clearer over time. This, of course, may not be for everyone. Just thought I'd mention it.Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

Touching up sunscreen, or makeup with spf, every couple of hours has helped me the most. I also use Paula's Choice product for brown spots am and pm.

Valued Contributor
It is a battle for sure, best treated with a multi pronged attack. I use drunk elephant vitamin c serum in the am, and in the pm a mix containing tretinoin, azelaic acid and niacinamide. I used to get rx finacea (azelaic acid) - it’s a rosacea medication but it really works well to even out the skin tone. However that has gotten crazy expensive under my new healthcare plan from work. I’ve started to incorporate the drunk elephant baby skin a few nights a week (I don’t use the tretinoin mix on those nights).

Also sunscreen every day, and I use a brush on sunscreen before going out in the afternoon for lunch and before the drive home (my derm’s advice). That keeps my face in pretty good shape.

On my legs I’ve developed flat seborrehic keratoses, which look like brown spots, but per my derm those are not really pigment but rather layers of skin that build up. I use glytone body wash at night plus their body cream to try to keep those at bay. I get glytone from my derm, it’s strong stuff.

I second going to a derm to make sure there are no skin cancers or pre cancers, you never know.
Super Contributor

I had forgotten what the name of the specific melanoma in situ is called, so I looked it up again. It’s called Lentigo malagna. It mimics age or sun spots. I had never heard of it until I was diagnosed. The good news is it is very slow growing, and usually 100% curable when still in situ 

Regular Contributor

@Lilysmom Yes, I got the cream directly from my dermatologist. You would need a prescription to purchase it from a pharmacy. It has worked wonders on my "spots".

Trusted Contributor

Admire My Skin fade cream

Took 5-6 weeks to remove the brown spot my from cheek.  Gets great reviews.  Didn't remove a couple other spots I hoped to fade.

About $27. 

Trusted Contributor

I watched a video that Dr. Dray has done on hyperpigmentation and she was impressed with MD Complete Dark Spot Corrector that can be found at CVS.  You also have to be very diligent with sun screen with any kind of fade product or all your efforts will be for nothing.  I don't know if you follow her, but she is pretty no frills when it comes to skin care so I was a little surprised that she actually recommended something like this!

Honored Contributor

I use Dr. Denese Firming Facial Pads.  I think they help but honestly I've always stayed out of the sun so don't have much anyway.

I keep forgetting to get it but I've heard good things about Porcelena.  I'm going to TRY to remember to get it and try it.

It's been around for many years and you can get it at local stores.

Porcelana Skin Lightening Day Cream and Fade Dark Spots Treatment, 3 Ounce

Honored Contributor

Re: Brown spots

[ Edited ]

the only thing I ever found that actually worked was Joan Rivers truly amazing hand cream....it contained a higher percentage of whatever the ingredient is that lightens the skin..I think it is hydraquinine, was taken off the market because the FDA said it was too strong....I have had dark spot problems on my hands for years....and one spot on my cheek. I do think there are some creams you can get in the African American cosmetics section that are called skin lighteners. They contain the same ingredient just look for the highest % of it on the label.

Honored Contributor

Re: Brown spots

[ Edited ]

I have tried Porcelana and it did nothing for my brown spots. Maybe it will work for someone else. I use Dr D facial pads but they have nothing in them that would help dark spots....I usually wipe them on my hands after I use them on my face; have not noticed any improvement