Esteemed Contributor

How do you shape them? I have had one lady do mine in a way they resembled Elizbeth Taylors, not sure how she did it. That was years ago.

I can't get the same look. And when I go have them done, the others don't get the same look either.

So, do any of you have any tips on how to get the Elizabeth Taylor brow look?

TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Brow shaping

[ Edited ]

@happycat  Using something long, like a pencil, long, narrow-handled makeup brush, wooden skewer, etc., hold the item at three key points; straight along side your nose (shows where your brow should start), angled from your nostril and crossing over the pupil (shows where your brow arch should be), and angled from your nostril and crossing the outer corner of your eye (shows where your brow should end).  Clean up any excess that is outside the beginning or end of the brow and underneath to create a clean arch.  Proceed with caution and don't overdo it.  I've heard many times that you should never tweeze above your brows except for a random hair here and there.  Shape them from underneath.  Go back with a brow product (powder or pencil to match your hair color) to define them.

The Younique Products company sells brow stencils that you may find helpful until you get the hang of it.  You might be able to find them elsewhere as well.

One more thing....if you do an image search of Elizabeth Taylor, you will see that she has a lot of black eyebrow pencil on, giving the appearance of thicker brows than she probably actually had.  Having black hair to begin with also added to that definition, but that "look" was popular way back when, maybe not so much anymore.  

Valued Contributor

Take a photo with you and be specific what exactly you like about her brows.

Honored Contributor

Good question!  I always wonder the same thing.  My brows are a mess.  They are very light, unruly, thin in some places and too thick in others.  I never do anything with them any more other than try and smoot them out because I have no clue how to fix them or what product to use.  Every time I try a product, I end up looking like Groucho Marx!  I need to start looking at pictures of brows that are nice looking and cut them out and perhaps find a place and take them with me.  This might help!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

How do you shape them? I have had one lady do mine in a way they resembled Elizbeth Taylors, not sure how she did it. That was years ago.

I can't get the same look. And when I go have them done, the others don't get the same look either.

TIA

@happycat

It has never occurred to me to attempt to change the natural shape of my brows. Is that what you want to do? Brows really aren’t that difficult to do.

There isn’t anything special about ET’s brows from the photos I just looked at. A few emphasize the point of her arch more than others. They do look good.

I just follow the natural arch of my brows and tweeze from the underside to give a clean look to the shape. I learned that you should avoid tweezing from the top of the brow (other than a few strays) because it shows the natural shape that will look best on you. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@happycat  Using something long, like a pencil, long, narrow-handled makeup brush, wooden skewer, etc., hold the item at three key points; straight along side your nose (shows where your brow should start), angled from your nostril and crossing over the pupil (shows where your brow arch should be), and angled from your nostril and crossing the outer corner of your eye (shows where your brow should end).  Clean up any excess that is outside the beginning or end of the brow and underneath to create a clean arch.  Proceed with caution and don't overdo it.  I've heard many times that you should never tweeze above your brows except for a random hair here and there.  Shape them from underneath.  Go back with a brow product (powder or pencil to match your hair color) to define them.

The Younique Products company sells brow stencils that you may find helpful until you get the hang of it.  You might be able to find them elsewhere as well.

One more thing....if you do an image search of Elizabeth Taylor, you will see that she has a lot of black eyebrow pencil on, giving the appearance of thicker brows than she probably actually had.  Having black hair to begin with also added to that definition, but that "look" was popular way back when, maybe not so much anymore.  

@happycat

This is good instruction from @JeanLouiseFinch 

Be careful not to take off too much. It is easy to do.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Thank you @JeanLouiseFinch. I've tried that before, just not thrilled with the look I got. Now I am sure there is something I am just not doing quite right.

It does seem like some of the people who have done my brows have also cleaned up a bit of the area above the brow.

Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

TIA

@happycat

It has never occurred to me to attempt to change the natural shape of my brows. Is that what you want to do? Brows really aren’t that difficult to do.

There isn’t anything special about ET’s brows from the photos I just looked at. A few emphasize the point of her arch more than others. They do look good.

I just follow the natural arch of my brows and tweeze from the underside to give a clean look to the shape. I learned that you should avoid tweezing from the top of the brow (other than a few strays) because it shows the natural shape that will look best on you. 

@willdob3 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

TIA

@happycat

@willdob3, well, I wasn't trying to change the natural shape of the brow. Mine are arched. I just want to get a look like I use to get at the place I use to go to. Its not that hard, to shape and pluck. Its just hard to get the look I would like, the one I use to get with a certain beautician.

Respected Contributor

Are you sure your eye area did not change over the years.  Over time the skin can lose it turgor and positioning.