Respected Contributor

Re: Bronzer instead of blush?

@SilleeMee 

Yes, that is exactly how I did wear blush!  Now if I feel a need for that summer warmth, and sometimes I do, it is Bobbi Brown Antigua for me.  Really a lovely rosey shade, looks like I did when young and got some sun.

Honored Contributor

I have had so called makeup artists tell me that I needed to get into 2019 and wear bronzer. I have fair, even, skin and putting swipes of bronzer (no matter the shade) makes me look like I have brown powder on my face.

My son once laughed when he saw what the "artist" did to my skin at Sephora. He was about 10 and even he knew it looked terrible.

Some of the Bobbi Brown bronzers are very pink but calling them a bronzer is dubious at best.....

Honored Contributor

@author 

During the winter my foundation is a slightly lighter shade than the foundation I wear in the summer. What I do with the darker foundation is use that as a 'bronzer' during the winter. Gives me more dimension to an otherwise monotone face and it gives a nice backdrop for blush where the blush doesn't appear with too much contrast against the lighter foundation. Blend, blend, blend.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@author   Bravo. If someone compliments your makeup instead of your skin, you're probably wearing too much...at any age. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I have had so called makeup artists tell me that I needed to get into 2019 and wear bronzer. I have fair, even, skin and putting swipes of bronzer (no matter the shade) makes me look like I have brown powder on my face.

My son once laughed when he saw what the "artist" did to my skin at Sephora. He was about 10 and even he knew it looked terrible.

Some of the Bobbi Brown bronzers are very pink but calling them a bronzer is dubious at best.....

@Trinity11   Unfortunately, there are some inexperienced mua. I'm not sure that the women at dept. stores or Sephora have more than a few hrs. training by the store or counter manager. Always look for someone whose makeup you admire and closest to how you would want to do your own makeup. Bobbi Brown's bronzers are based on the skin's undertones...therefore some are yellow, more pink, deep tan even and more orange. They should match the color you'd be if you tanned naturally in the sun. Because you are fair, you'd use Antiqua, a pinkish shade. Most likely you wouldn't tan, but rather flush slightly or hopefully not burn.