Respected Contributor

I cannot relate to doing that!  Bronzers are in the brown family, and blushes are pink, peachy, or coral.

If one "blushes," it brings more blood flow to the skin and creates a pink flush.  No matter what your skin tone is.

I can only use the pink family.  Any form of coral or peach looks awful on me.  I am very fair, so I cannot imagine using a bronzer as blush.

Is anyone using this successfully?

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Re: Bronzer instead of blush?

@hyacinth003   I completely agree with you.  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 @Desertdi  Both are correct. Bronzers warm the skin. They are shades in the orange, tan or "bronze" family. They're applied lightly where you'd get sun...the forehead, across the nose and on cheeks. 

Blush is applied high on the cheeks about two fingers away from the nose...under the iris of eye and blended back high into the hairline....until invisible. This keeps brightness in the center of the face. Less is more. Placing pink blotches of color on the apples of the cheeks while smiling (what we hear when younger) no longer works as we age because when we're no longer smiling, the "apple" is lower. The blush will drag the face down. 

I'm also too fair for bronzers. They look muddy on me. With my coloring, it's obvious I'd never be "sun-kissed". I skip that step. If I do need extra color, after applying blush, I wipe the brush on a tissue and with what's left, go across the bridge of my nose and maybe a little on my temples.

Yes, I still look fair. I've accepted that and don't try to make up for it with over the top color that can be aging. A lipstick with a rosey hue does wonders to brighten a fair complexion. BTW, I try not to use the word "pale" which implies I'm ill...I'm just very fair. 😜

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003  It sounds like you know what works for you. 

I like to play with makeup. I don't mind using a bronzer as blush sometimes.

I am fair, usually the 2nd lightest neutral color in foundations.

Probably no one, but me knows when I play with my colors. But, I know. LOL

I have certain colors that compliment my eyes & coloring & I think "That is all I am going to wear. Every day." 

But, then I wake up the next day & I see a color or a piece of my makeup & I think "Ooooh. I am going to wear that today!"

I know it sounds like I dress like Bozo, but I truly don't. Sometimes it just a bronzer for blush/green eye shadow sort of day.

Respected Contributor

When I was in my 20's I did wear bronzer as blush, but a very light shade and one that did not get muddy or orange on me, sometimes a gel or at one time it was in a mousse formulation that was heaven and so easy to get a glow without going overboard.  I never wore foundation, had lovely smooth skin....ah, youth.

I am very fair so that was/is an issue!

In those days, the 70's, all I tried for was a "no Man Tan" look.  I had plenty of pink in my cheeks that I despaired over, and pink lips which I neutralized with a mocha lipstick, very light and "no color" but it defined my lips and toned down the red in them.

Now at 73, still very fair but not as much pink in cheeks and lips actually need color!  I do now wear bright pink/rose/red lipsticks, carefully applied, and a very light dusting of blush, pinks, roses, even wine but very lightly applied.  The brighter lips liven up my eyes more than any eye makeup can.

And I wear foundation in my older years to smooth out my skin and cover a few age spots and broken capillaries.

Never bronzer with my fair skin and age.  I wore a light color of it until my 60's and then it looked bad and actually aging after that. 

I now use a highlighter instead of a bronzer, as a glow strategically and minimally placed really does wake up your face, and give it dimension.  

I'm accepting aging, just changing my makeup accordingly and being extra careful in application.  For me, it's there to enhance your own beauty.  I like compliments such as "you have beautiful skin, or beautiful eyes"!   

Honored Contributor

I am a fair girl--but I have a couple bronzers that I use for blushes that look really nice on me--not the glittery, shiny stuff tho--I use bronzer very rarely  as a bronzer----but sometimes I do

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with you. I have very fair skin and the bronzers do not work for me. They either make my face look dirty or make me look ill. I gave up on them years ago.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have some blush pallettes, some peachy that also contain bronze colors, so I often just swirl my brush over all of the shades. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do agree that some bronzers with over application look muddy on the cheeks, but bronzer can be used in another way.

How many times has a foundation been bought that might be too light? A bronzer lightly applied over your foundation might make your face look the correct color.

During the summer I used an Urban Decay Naked Skin liquid foundation that ordinarily I would have used in winter months. But I wanted to use it up. I already had a slight tan so this foundation looked too light on me. 

I let it dry & then dusted my face with the bronzer using a powder brush. I used a sampler of NARS Laguna & it was fine. In natural light, the foundation looked to be the correct color.

Now that I have lost my tan, the foundation is correct & the bronzer has been put away until next year.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would not apply a bronzer just on my cheeks as I do with my blush. For me I like my bronzer applied to the planes of my face where the sun would normally give me color and dimension. Blush would be applied on top of the bronzer but limited to my cheeks to complete the look of youthful and healthy skin.

Many blush palettes include a bronzer so you can apply both if you wanted.