Esteemed Contributor

Re: Broke Up With My Hair Stylist

@Boehm Collector I really feel for you.As I previously stated I've had the same hair stylist for 28 years.I would really be upset if I had to look for someone new.After all this time can't she make an exception & work something out with you?

My hairdresser always goes above & beyond for me.His shop is 40 minutes away from my house.His home is about 15 minutes away.I can't tell you how many times he's had me go to his home because I couldn't make it in to the salon!! Last week he was going on vacation & wasn't going into work the day before.He had me come to his house at 8:00am!! Once last summer he even came to my house because he had to cancel my appointment the day before & felt bad.

Try speaking to your hairdresser.Explain the bind this puts you in.After years of loyalty she should be willing to work it out for you.Good luck!!

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Boehm Collector I really feel for you.As I previously stated I've had the same hair stylist for 28 years.I would really be upset if I had to look for someone new.After all this time can't she make an exception & work something out with you?

My hairdresser always goes above & beyond for me.His shop is 40 minutes away from my house.His home is about 15 minutes away.I can't tell you how many times he's had me go to his home because I couldn't make it in to the salon!! Last week he was going on vacation & wasn't going into work the day before.He had me come to his house at 8:00am!! Once last summer he even came to my house because he had to cancel my appointment the day before & felt bad.

Try speaking to your hairdresser.Explain the bind this puts you in.After years of loyalty she should be willing to work it out for you.Good luck!!

Hi @NicksmomESQ ... Sounds like you have great hair stylist .... a keeper.  I'm already scheduling my appointment for Fridays between 3:30 - 4:00pm.  It's a little easier leaving the office a bit earlier on Fridays .. especially during the summer.   I don't know what else I can do.   BTW we both live and work in the same town,  

Honored Contributor

I started with a new salon a few months ago.  I've had my hair highlighted twice here and cut once.  I really like the place. It's close but it's pricey.

My relative, who is like a brother to me, is married to a hairstylist.  Something was said at x-mas about me not going to her to get my hair done.  The reason I don't go is because if something isn't right or I hate my hair, I'm in an awkward position.

To keep peace in the family, I made an appointment with her for a cut and color.  Woman Frustrated 

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I used to spend a small fortune on my hair...now I use a natural color that is not harsh on your hair from Whole Foods and have found the sweetest hair dresser who just trims the ends straight across every 2-3 months and charges me $10.  I couldn't be happier and my hair has never looked better/healthier.  (@My color is @$15 every three weeks.)

Good luck with your new person....I think sometimes hairdressers that we have been going to a long time think you will never leave.  I'm happy that you are venturing out, let us know how it goes.

@phoenixbrd, is the color you're buying at Whole Foods Naturtint Hair Permanent Hair Color?  If you use a cool shade and it stays cool (doesn't develop reddish glints over time), I'd love to know that, too, since that's what I'm trying to find.

Respected Contributor

cannot count the number of times i broke up with a stylist.  one got really upset because i asked her to dye my hair from red back to light brown. she hollared at me as i walked out the door that it took her soooo long to get the correct shade of red. that how i started using box color.

i started doing my own highlighting becuase i was tired of the bleeding on foils when they don't watch the root area and it leaves a big spotch of blonde color. 

they do not listen especially if you tell them your hair will pull red they use a gold or warm tint

every salon has a mixing room or sommewhere where the stylists hang out and chat while waiting for color to process or they sit  you under the hood dryer.   some take it to the extreme. they pop a stack of People, Star and Vogue mags and let us sit.   we are their captives! 

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

After going to the same stylist for more years than I care to admit, I am finally parting ways with him (he doesn't know it). I felt he didn't listen to me, never looked at pictures I would bring. I'm getting my hair cut, colored, and blown out for the first time with someone new. I'm using someone who works in the place I take my elderly mother to. I like her personality, I hope she is good! I am coming armed with about 4 pictures, I hope she can help me decide which style to go with. I am also getting my hair professionally colored for the first time, I'll have to decide on a color. I'm hoping for the best as I will still have to take my mother to the salon, it will be awkward if I'm not crazy about how she did my hair.

Hi @Jordan2 ... I have been going to the same stylist for 35+ years.  I do like how she cuts my hair ... and she allows me to bring my own hair color.   She was also really good to my Mom during Mom's last few years.  She would go to Mom's house to do her hair.  In addition to liking the way she does my hair, one of the main reasons I have stuck with her for so long is that she worked around my crazy work schedule.   I could give her one day's notice and she would take me at a time that was convenient for me.... after work.  But during my last appointment she told me that from now on I will have to schedule my appointments for much earlier in the day or early on Saturdays because she no longer wants to be staying at work after 4- 5 o'clock.  Neither are convenient.  So now I have to decide whether to stick with her.. and inconvenience myself... or find a different stylist.  I would really like to stick with her but I can't leave me office in the middle of the day .... and on Saturdays I have too much to do.  I am really torn.

@Boehm Collector, she sounds like a gem, you're lucky. I would try to accommodate her, even if it's a little inconvenient for you. Someone like her is hard to find!

Respected Contributor

It's funny... I've been going to the same styling for close to 4 years.  She does a good job, comes to the house, and is reasonably priced.  The last couple of cuts haven't been as good, but I've been thinking that my hair has changed.... not that it's her.  LOL.  

I'm not planning on changing any time soon... it was too hard to find her.  Also, she does my mother's hair, too, and it's always a good cut.  I went to a charity luncheon last week, and won a haircut and blow out at some salon.  I gave it away, because, for the time being, I don't want anyone else cutting my hair.

Respected Contributor

@Boehm Collector ..... I'd definitely figure out how to keep her!  (I saw in a later post that you're doing that... at least for the summer!)

Respected Contributor

I'll tell you, I don't know what's up with hair stylists these days.   Last year I posted here about my snarky hair sytlist, and the rude, cold attitude, did what ever he wanted.  Lousy cuts.  Didn't take long for me to run.  Anyway, it's been an entire year of trying different salons.  For the most part, I either got an o.k cut/ blow, with no special attention, or never asked If I was happy, and horrible cuts..  Personality lacking, some rushed through, steeeep prices.   I even traveled 90 miles to my daughters salon...although, really nice stylist, and she paid attention to my wants, and discussed lot's with me. Overall did a nice job, but it's really not practical, or convenient to travel there and back.  I like my hair trimmed every 5-6 weeks, and they just raised prices besides, UGHH!  I really felt like it was hopeless to find an all around good hair stylist.    However, I recently went through a huge stressful matter, and I've got some health issues that flared up a bit, and caused my hair to fall, and got very thin, and stringy.  So I desparately needed to cut off about 3 inches.   THANKFULLY after a whole year of searching, I tried a local salon, right next to Publix where I always shop (they've been there 10 yrs) and I finally gave them a try.  I got a girl that spent a good amount time consulting with me, showed genuine concern, looked at a pic, and explained the best type of cut for me.   After all...I got a great cut...looks super full, and its most flattering to my face.  I'm sooo relieved!!  

Bottom line...get what YOU want, and DO NOT settle!!

Honored Contributor

Breaking up is hard to do oo o!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras