Frequent Contributor

Re: Broke Up With My Hair Stylist

Been there done that when my stylist made me look like the little Dutch boy on the paint can. Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

I love my hairdresser!! I've been with him for almost 28 years!! I've followed him to several salons.He has had his own shop now for about 15 years.He treats me very well.If I don't like something he will gladly fix it.He listens & cares about what I want.He also comes up with some great ideas. I would say that we have become good friends & give each other advice on personal matters all the time!! 

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

How exciting to try somebody new!!!   My guy was in between salons when I needed a cut so I tried somebody new.   She gave me a great cut, was so nice and I was thrilled!  When I went back the second time she was like a different person.  Barely would acknowledge I was there, set me aside forever for color to process (way longer than normal) while she followed one of the other hairdressers around and chatted, etc., then when it was time to finish me she had run out of time so did a two-second snip and frankly was put out that I had the audacity to want to see the back of my hair in the mirror.  It was like two different people, the difference from the first visit to the next.   Needless to say I went back to my guy (who I was perfectly happy with) as soon as he was settled in a new salon.

But, that all being said, it is always exciting to try a new person.

@Wsmom, how strange. Do you think that she might have been miffed at your tip the first time? That's the only thing comes to mind other than some unfortunate mental or emotional disorder.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Jordan2

It always feels like such a blind leap of faith when leaving one hairdresser to go to another.   Sometimes we stay too long because "the devil we know is better than the devil we don't know".   

Even if the new person doesn't get it exactly right .... remember, there's nothing worse than a hairdresser that doesn't listen to what we say.

When is the appointment?   Good luck to you!

@Tinkrbl44, my appointment is Wednesday. I'm really nervous, there is nothing worse than having a haircut you hate. I'm hoping for the best as I'll still have to take my mother there and it will be awkward if I see her. I'll come back and let you know how it went!

Honored Contributor

I broke up w/ my stylist of 8 yrs. when I went to get my short haircut a few weeks ago. It's like a divorce. I know how the OP feels. My stylist just wasn't listening to me anymore and doing what she wanted instead.

It took a lot of asking around, but am happy w/ my new stylist. The short almost pixie haircut was my second appt. At my first appt. w/ her the month before, she wouldn't do the cut. She said she wanted to get the feel for what my hair does, thickness, amount of girl, damage from color or not, etc.

At that 1st appt., she trimmed the ends & did my root color, but left my chin length curly bob in tact. At the end of the appt., while I was paying, she said that now she knows how my hair falls, dries, where the thicker/thinner areas are and she'll do the cut next time. 

So a few weeks ago, like OP I went in armed w/ photos. We discussed the cut, how it would look different since my hair would be wavy at that length & she started cutting.....a precise work of art haircut!!! 

It's good to change stylist when you feel they've gotten bored & stale. Not our fault. Theirs. No guilt or remorse...Just wish I'd done it sooner.

Honored Contributor

When I first moved, 18 months ago, I used to travel 250 miles back to the old block where my favorite salon was that I had gone to for years! That trip got old real fast! I found a new gal in a small town nearby where I live now and stayed with her for about 9 months. She was a rookie and make HUGE mistakes with my hair! I landed a new gal, that owns her shop and has years of experience! She is wonderful and I couldn't be happier! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal. Oh I would have had many choice (not printable words) before leaving the salon. But I agree, when it's my money and my hair, no one tells me what I should & shouldn't do. Lots of nerve, huh?

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2.  I broke up with more than one stylist.  If they are not doing a good job, goodbye.  I hope everything works out for you.  In case in does not, don't feel awkard when taking your mother.  It's your money and your choice.  Let's hope your cut is beautiful and so is the color!  Be optimistic. Cat Very Happy

P.S.  Right now I am going to a salon where the stylists in training cut hair for $20 to $30 depending on where they are in the program.  The manager checks over your cut before you leave.  Cuts by a sr. stylist is $65.  I am on a fixed income and $65 is too much for me.  $20 works out fine for me.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Wsmom wrote:

How exciting to try somebody new!!!   My guy was in between salons when I needed a cut so I tried somebody new.   She gave me a great cut, was so nice and I was thrilled!  When I went back the second time she was like a different person.  Barely would acknowledge I was there, set me aside forever for color to process (way longer than normal) while she followed one of the other hairdressers around and chatted, etc., then when it was time to finish me she had run out of time so did a two-second snip and frankly was put out that I had the audacity to want to see the back of my hair in the mirror.  It was like two different people, the difference from the first visit to the next.   Needless to say I went back to my guy (who I was perfectly happy with) as soon as he was settled in a new salon.

But, that all being said, it is always exciting to try a new person.

@Wsmom, how strange. Do you think that she might have been miffed at your tip the first time? That's the only thing comes to mind other than some unfortunate mental or emotional disorder.

@suzyQ3, No, I don't think so.   I tip 20%, which I think is pretty much the norm or more than the norm around here.  This is an offshoot of a big, hoity-toity salon that she didn't fit in at and had a hard time dealing so moved over to this salon.  She told me all about it at the first visit.  (I used to go to that one and know others who worked there so that wasn't the first time I'd heard those comments.)  She was new at this salon when I saw her.  By the time I went back she seemed to be more worried about fitting in and being buddies with one of the other stylists and literally was following her around the whole time so that the time allotted for my appointment was taken up and she didn't have time to actually do more than a quick trim, dry and "see ya!".

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Jordan2

It always feels like such a blind leap of faith when leaving one hairdresser to go to another.   Sometimes we stay too long because "the devil we know is better than the devil we don't know".   

Even if the new person doesn't get it exactly right .... remember, there's nothing worse than a hairdresser that doesn't listen to what we say.

When is the appointment?   Good luck to you!

@Tinkrbl44, my appointment is Wednesday. I'm really nervous, there is nothing worse than having a haircut you hate. I'm hoping for the best as I'll still have to take my mother there and it will be awkward if I see her. I'll come back and let you know how it went!

@Jordan2

Can you start with something easy .... like "just a trim"?  That way, you can evaluate his/her ability and establish rapport?    Just a suggestion.