Honored Contributor

Broke Up With My Hair Stylist

After going to the same stylist for more years than I care to admit, I am finally parting ways with him (he doesn't know it). I felt he didn't listen to me, never looked at pictures I would bring. I'm getting my hair cut, colored, and blown out for the first time with someone new. I'm using someone who works in the place I take my elderly mother to. I like her personality, I hope she is good! I am coming armed with about 4 pictures, I hope she can help me decide which style to go with. I am also getting my hair professionally colored for the first time, I'll have to decide on a color. I'm hoping for the best as I will still have to take my mother to the salon, it will be awkward if I'm not crazy about how she did my hair.

Valued Contributor

Re: Broke Up With My Hair Stylist

Good for you! Pictures have always helped when I take them to my stylist, as what I describe may not be what she hears. 

Honored Contributor

Leaving a stylist can be hard.  I've had one who I would never care if I saw again.

Some of the most important information I can give a hairdresser is my skill level with tools.  I just can't handle a round brush.  Give me a curling rod and I'm all over it.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2

It always feels like such a blind leap of faith when leaving one hairdresser to go to another.   Sometimes we stay too long because "the devil we know is better than the devil we don't know".   

Even if the new person doesn't get it exactly right .... remember, there's nothing worse than a hairdresser that doesn't listen to what we say.

When is the appointment?   Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

I had some doozys over the years, and some stylists that were very good. I'm lucky that for about the last 15 years or so I've had a very good one , she is honest about what my hair will and will not do. I always feel good when I leave the salon and that is worth a lot.💇💇

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

You do what you gotta do. It's your money, your hair, your look, your happiness!

Esteemed Contributor

How exciting to try somebody new!!!   My guy was in between salons when I needed a cut so I tried somebody new.   She gave me a great cut, was so nice and I was thrilled!  When I went back the second time she was like a different person.  Barely would acknowledge I was there, set me aside forever for color to process (way longer than normal) while she followed one of the other hairdressers around and chatted, etc., then when it was time to finish me she had run out of time so did a two-second snip and frankly was put out that I had the audacity to want to see the back of my hair in the mirror.  It was like two different people, the difference from the first visit to the next.   Needless to say I went back to my guy (who I was perfectly happy with) as soon as he was settled in a new salon.

But, that all being said, it is always exciting to try a new person.

Honored Contributor

I used to spend a small fortune on my hair...now I use a natural color that is not harsh on your hair from Whole Foods and have found the sweetest hair dresser who just trims the ends straight across every 2-3 months and charges me $10.  I couldn't be happier and my hair has never looked better/healthier.  (My color is @$15 every three weeks.)

Good luck with your new person....I think sometimes hairdressers that we have been going to a long time think you will never leave.  I'm happy that you are venturing out, let us know how it goes.

Respected Contributor

I went to the same stylist for YEARS.  Finally, one day I said "I think I need something different".  He said "you'll get something different when I think you need something different".  That was that - gone - never to return. When they start telling you what to do to your hair - it's time to find a new stylist. 

Honored Contributor

It does sound like you are due for a change, I wouldn't give it a second thought. I left my long time beautician years ago because I had to keep my standing appointment every 8 weeks and if I cancelled the appointment I had to wait a minimum of 2 weeks to get another. I feel like if he was that busy he certainly didn't need my business.