Honored Contributor

Brittle, Soft, cracking Nails?

Every fall as soon as I crank up the heat, my fingernails virtually fall apart.  They become so dry with snags and dents in the edges that I must file them down to nothing.  They are a constant problem and annoyance. 

A couple years ago, probably due to a recommendation here, I discovered this product which has been like a miracle for me.  I've tried them all and it's the only thing that has actually worked. 

It's Sally Hansen Moisture Rehab, available at all the drug and cosmetic outlets.  You simply brush it on cuticles and bare nails, and rub it in at night.  It's absorbed almost instantly and leaves no oil or residue behind. 

I start to see an improvement in as little as 3 or 4 days; after about 2 weeks, I'm pretty much back to normal and still improving.  I'll never have long showy nails but at least they're a decent length and look good.  The product also exfoliates cuticles so they look good too.

Screenshot_20220103-184241_Chrome.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Brittle, Soft, cracking Nails?

I use Hard as Hoof nail cream. My nails don't split or break if I use it daily. Can tell a big difference if I forget to use it.  Now keeping it on bathroom sink where I can't forget. Like you, I'm not going for super long showy nails. Just past my fingertips and nicely manicured with clear or pink tint polish. Also a strengthener as a base coat. 

Harmonize the World
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the recommendation @Kachina624.  I have tried so many products that promise success, but nothing.  This is definitely worth a try.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a great product.  I will have to look out for it.  Thanks for posting.  I actually like my nails on the short side.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

The only thing that has worked for me was good ole vitamin D. I started taking 5000 IU daily  (per Drs rec) & my nails have never been better.

Esteemed Contributor

I apply castor oil to my nails and cuticles. It;s working for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree 100% !! I've used SH Moisture Rehab for over 3 years and it has been the only product that cured my peeling, splitting fingernails.

It was recommended to me by a poster on this board. I've recommended it many times. Sometimes our nails don't need hardeners or strengtheners - our nails need moisture, especially in winter!
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I have this, look on the back and you'll see the three ingredients that are fairly common, glycerin, castor oil and tocopherol (Vitamin E). My next purchase is going to be for just plain caster oil. 

I find the trisodium phosphate really interesting because that's what they took out of every cleaner, detergents, dishwasher detergent, etc. I even have a small container of TSP because it is so good at preparing a surface before you paint. 

Valued Contributor

I’ve tried everything for weak, peeling nails and finally have had the best long lasting results with the Tweaked by Nature hair and body oil which I believe is the original Ojon paste. I rub a generous amount right into my nail bed and cuticles before I go to bed and can see a big improvement very quickly.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thanks @Kachina624 for posting this.  Definitely something that interests me.