Honored Contributor

Re: Bring back the makeup artists SAP

I don't know about everyone else, but I learned so very much from Mally and Laura Gellar.  I loved their products!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I don't know about everyone else, but I learned so very much from Mally and Laura Gellar.  I loved their products!

@ECBG   I agree so have I.  One thing I would like to see is get the older Hosts away from the make up. JT is the worst.  When she puts on a product and I get close to my TV, there is no way I will buy it.  Please use Hosts with great skin like Sandra.  I know everyone don't have great skin, but it defintly makes me not buy when I see that.  

New Contributor

I've been watching QVC before it was QVC, I'm ashamed to admit. Started very young. I've always wanted to believe hosts when they wax elegant about a product......even if I knew better. Last night was the final straw for me. How Shawn could stare at the camera after she applied the mascara and wax eloquent about a product that is literally globbed onto her eyelashes?? Honestly, she could have used a lash comb....but no! She raved and raved how she wasn't going to come out lashless, but now she's so happy with the results. No friend of hers would have let her be seen in public with how she looked.....without cleaning her up. I honestly felt it was an insult to all of us viewers.  I will never believe a word she says again. 

Valued Contributor

I agree that the professionals should be brought back but personally I think QVC’s reasoning is probably less about covid and more about money. A lot of businesses saw what they could cut and aren’t willing to give up that profit margin.

I can’t stand watching the vendors from home but, again, QVC probably doesn’t see the need to return to flying in vendors and putting them up in hotels if they don’t have to.

Trusted Contributor

They just need 10x mirrors in natural daylight....it is a rude awakening and not for sissies....but it tells the truth. 

Trusted Contributor

Having dealt with " stage makeup" for many daughters and granddaughters, I know there is a big difference between what you need while performing on-stage and what you need when on hd tv cameras with closeups.....not the same at all. 

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

All points in replies here are so valid. The hosts, models and vendors are over compensating w/ tans and makeup thinking they HAVE to for the cameras. 

What beats me is they've had hair/makeup done professionally in studio for years. Did they learn nothing from watching the MUA?

@Shanus - I agree about not learning anything from the MUAs that were there before.  When a host doesn't wear false eyelashes and then puts on so much mascara her lashes/eyes look downright scary, that does not help sell a mascara product.  The models who applied the mascara looked so much better because they used the same amount a woman would normally apply.  Let the models and reps do their job.

@JudyL   ITA. I just don't get the "over-mascared" before and after falsies + the over drawn, dark winged liner + dark, wide liner under the eyes. My 13 yr. old GD knows better than that. And on the older hosts? OMG!

Valued Contributor

I would believe that the extra caution the artists would need to take ensure complete and entire sanitzation of brushes, makeup cross contamination, sponges or whatever is not worth the time or financial investment.  I know people are going to say they had to be cautious pre-covid but this has set a new bar of actually what sanitary is.  Remember how everyone gad to learn how to wash their hands? 

I stated a year or so ago how I thought the ladies all looked better and natural without the false eyelashes, don't tell me it is "just your mascara"; heavy handed contour, etc. They looked normal next-door types.  These people are just working as salespeople on tv, not in a Hollywood movie or TV program.  Let them tone it down, I don't need them to think they need to somehow impress me with makeup. And I definitely would not want anyone in my face as a model, sorry.

Respected Contributor

Gracious, these are some catty old hens up in here.