Respected Contributor

Breaking point of cost of beauty services?

I am sympathic to inflation issues with all prices. But I have reached the breaking point for the cost of my hair cut/blow dry. 

$115.00 plus tip

Trusted Contributor

Re: Breaking point of cost of beauty services?

@granddi   WOWWWW! 

That's one of the reasons why I wear a wig that ALWAYS gives me the style and color I love. 

Aside from the cost of going to a salon, I prefer not spending hours and hours getting my hair done only to have the style "evaporate" in a few days (even with the best of "cuts". 

Then there's the issue of the ingredients of some of the products they use that I might not prefer.

For me, wearing a wig is a perfect solution.  I do admit that my natural hair is curly, hard to color treat and all-in-all UNMANAGEABLE!!  So there's that.....

Respected Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@granddi   WOWWWW! 

That's one of the reasons why I wear a wig that ALWAYS gives me the style and color I love. 

Aside from the cost of going to a salon, I prefer not spending hours and hours getting my hair done only to have the style "evaporate" in a few days (even with the best of "cuts". 

Then there's the issue of the ingredients of some of the products they use that I might not prefer.

For me, wearing a wig is a perfect solution.  I do admit that my natural hair is curly, hard to color treat and all-in-all UNMANAGEABLE!!  So there's that.....

I may be reaching that point .. I've never had good hair ... thin ..fine ... no body

and now some meds I am taking are effecting my hair ....

Honored Contributor

I'm thankful my hairdresser and esthetician give me the "friends and family" discount because I have been so loyal to them through the years. If I had to pay full price, I would more than likely stretch out my appointments an extra week or two.

Color/Cut - $120/6 weeks

Waxing/Threading (face, nostrils, underarms, Brazilian, full legs) - $130/8 weeks

As long as my nail tech doesn't raise her prices on me, I'll stick with her.  I could definitely find someone less expensive and I have tried out other salons, but their detail orientation is horrible and I ended up having to get too many repairs.  Therefore, I pay a little more than I'd like to but my nails last 5 weeks, which in my book is great!

Hard Gel fill + gel polish and gel pedicure - $135-$165, depending upon design

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@pdlinda  Forgive me if this question is too personal.  How short is your hair under your wig? Is it something you can style if you choose not to wear a wig?   I'm very intrigued by the idea of a wig.....I have very fine, difficult to style hair. 

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

I am sympathic to inflation issues with all prices. But I have reached the breaking point for the cost of my hair cut/blow dry. 

$115.00 plus tip

@granddi  - Are you able to find someone else that can cut it for less in your area?  

Trusted Contributor

Haircut: $55 + tip

Cut & lowlights: $185 + tip

Pedicure:  $75 + tip

I never spent any money on myself while raising kids, and for many years after that.  Now in my 70s, I like treating myself to some pampering and self care.

Trusted Contributor

@cindyNC   I intentionally cut my own hair short as there would be no circumstance whatsoever that I would go out in public without a wig.  I recently went to the dermotologist and told him before the exam that I wear a wig and would be removing it so he could check my scalp.  When I went for my joint replacement surgery, I went into the hospital without my wig but brought it along so I could wear it in public when I was discharged.  I usually alternate between two wigs of the same light blonde color.  Both are mid length and have different "looks" so when I switch it's not that much of a drastic difference in my appearance.  I love my wigs!!

Esteemed Contributor

Haircuts don't have to be that expensive. A place like Famous Hair or Great Clips does a good job for a reasonable price. JC Penney salon does it for half price of what you paid. (that might depend on location, though.) There are always other options. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@granddi wrote:

$115.00 plus tip

@granddi  - Are you able to find someone else that can cut it for less in your area?  

@San Antonio Gal 

The short answer is yes. 

I'm fortunate that I can splurge on self care. But

I don't need to bond and form relationships with my stylist. The stylist is not personable. The experience is not a treat. 

I like to book the first appt of the day. If she is not booked they call me to say she has had this or that emergency/issue/funeral. But could I come at 1pm? or next day? She is ok with rebooking me so she doesn't have down time. It's A former Toni and Guy that has gone private.

As good as the cut is, I guess I am looking for a reason for the divorce. Just venting with you all.